I'm overwhelmed by the options in this game.

(this is not a complaint)

I just started my Spurs save earlier today and I'm already totally lost.

I don't mean I'm losing every game and about to be sacked. Moreover, I'm actually hesitant to press [continue] because there are so many choices before me I'm afraid I might have missed something.

I genuinely believe I could sit for 24 hours straight (in real time), selecting countless options, scanning through endless screens etc and not even scrape the surface.

The tactics section alone is just absurd; how on God's Earth am I supposed to know what to do when the choice before me seems quite literally infinite?

I actually read a thread here earlier questioning whether FM12 was too EASY! Really???

Is there a way I can streamline the game so I don't have quite so many options? I'm truly lost in screen upon screen of information and I'm utterly baffled.

The tactics section alone is just absurd; how on God's Earth am I supposed to know what to do when the choice before me seems quite literally infinite?

I actually read a thread here earlier questioning whether FM12 was too EASY! Really???

You should have seen it when it was sliders :)

How much do you know about real life football tactics?

Warning: if you find the game overwhelming, prepare to feel the same way when wwfan posts a dissertation to help you ;)

Do you use the tactical wizard at all (select "add tactic" from the bar on the left of the tactics screen)?

You should have seen it when it was sliders :)

How much do you know about real life football tactics?

I know how I want my team to play, and I see I can set the main team's instructions to mirror my ideas so that's good.

But then I happened to notice that each individual player has countless options in a drop-down menu from him; all sorts of parameters that I can set for each player (aren't these sliders?). Do these overwrite the main instructions, or are they separate (working alongside), or do they work in tandem? I'm sure these all make perfect sense to you guys, but you also won't doubt that to a newcomer they could seem daunting.

I will repeat this is not a complaint, in fact I think the level of detail is utterly astounding. My only worry is that with so many options, and therefore variables, how will I know that the reason I'm losing is because I forgot to set a single parameter within one of my player's individual instructions (if that happens)?

The same goes for training, team talks, contract negotiations and so on and so forth.

I barely touch sliders myself, i set up 3 main tactics and i work off of touchline shouts and strategy changes from there, the TC can be very daunting, more so this year, it does at times look a bit of a mess compared to FM11, but you can streamline your use of it and not be overawed by the amount of information available to you.

To keep it a bit simpler for myself i just pick 3 formations, setup the team instructions and positions and then just use shouts during the game. I hire an Ass Man with high motivation to take care of the team talks. I do the media myself thou, i always seem to pick the right options to keep the players happy ;p

I know how I want my team to play, and I see I can set the main team's instructions to mirror my ideas so that's good.

But then I happened to notice that each individual player has countless options in a drop-down menu from him; all sorts of parameters that I can set for each player (aren't these sliders?). Do these overwrite the main instructions, or are they separate (working alongside), or do they work in tandem? I'm sure these all make perfect sense to you guys, but you also won't doubt that to a newcomer they could seem daunting.

I will repeat this is not a complaint, in fact I think the level of detail is utterly astounding. My only worry is that with so many options, and therefore variables, how will I know that the reason I'm losing is because I forgot to set a single parameter within one of my player's individual instructions (if that happens)?

The same goes for training, team talks, contract negotiations and so on and so forth.

There are too many variables to be sure about anything. The most important factor in a match is goals. All your plans go into the bin when you concede an early goal, for instance - nothing you can do about that.

I suggest not touching individual instructions until you have tried changing Strategy, Philosophy, Role and Duty to try and make your players play the way you want. When you are comfortable with that you will have learned what the different settings for each role and duty are, and then you can tweak them.

stick to the tactical wizards... easy until you start to understand the sliders.... then start changing one or two sliders to your taste...

for example.. you've set your amc to a trequartista.. and your happy with that.. but want him to stop shooting quite so much so you change his 'takes long shots' slider down a notch...

you'll soon pick things up fella.. but it is indeed a bit overwhelming... just take your time and play around.. you wont miss anything :)

training etc is the same... you can quite happily leave it on default and play a very successful game.. and then once your happy to play around.. do so.... download a few schedules and see how they are set up and you'll start to see what the settings do..

the brilliant thing about this years edition is that it is VERY adaptive to the player... it can be as in depth as you want it to be

also.. if you need to ask any questions.. feel free to PM me or ask here or in the tactics and training thread... we're all mostly pretty helpful

I'm actually getting the hang of it now to be fair.

Started with Spurs and got pasted, which wasn't remotely surprising. But doing really well with Liverpool. I think managing a team I'm not emotionally involved with was the right choice as it helped me focus rather than screaming at the screen :D

I agree with you to some extend.

There isnt a direct counter to another tactic. For example 4-4-2 can be countered by 4-2-4 and wont work againt 4-5-1. What i meant was if a player is on bad form, theres no need to bench him because he will find his form without fining/ benching him

Sometime i just lose without knowing why. I chose 4-2-3-1. Kept losing at 1st, but after tweaking little bit by little, and signing some top class player, my tactic is paying off.

But having many options is a good thing!

I'm actually getting the hang of it now to be fair.

Started with Spurs and got pasted, which wasn't remotely surprising. But doing really well with Liverpool. I think managing a team I'm not emotionally involved with was the right choice as it helped me focus rather than screaming at the screen :D

I think you may have jumped 'out of the frying pan into the fire'. I've never played Liverpool but I've heard others on here say they are the hardest team to manage: they don't have a brilliant squad to begin with but the board have very high expectations so it's possible to have what most people would regard as a successful season and still get sacked.

I agree with you to some extend.

There isnt a direct counter to another tactic. For example 4-4-2 can be countered by 4-2-4 and wont work againt 4-5-1. What i meant was if a player is on bad form, theres no need to bench him because he will find his form without fining/ benching him

Sometime i just lose without knowing why. I chose 4-2-3-1. Kept losing at 1st, but after tweaking little bit by little, and signing some top class player, my tactic is paying off.

But having many options is a good thing!

sorry but why wont 442 work against 451? that is a bold statement.

sorry but why wont 442 work against 451? that is a bold statement.

442 and 451 are counters, as if you have 4 in midfield this means the other team has more men in the most key area of controlling a game, they have more defensive options and a fast counter such as 460 to 4141 or 4231 and so forth, 442 really on has the option of moving a defensive 4411 too 424. less options and harder to counter the 5man midfield. but obviously this is down to the teams and the quality of players etc.

Archived