Scouting Regens

I have decided to take control of scouting for young regen players by myself; I have used the very useful Regen dates, and made notes that appear in my inbox for when a crop of new players is installed into the respective country. This is very handy for scouting countries that are of the beaten track for your average scout; for instance it took me less than a couple of minutes to have a quick browse through 30 or so players from South Korea, of which I have added to my Scouting pool for a report. Unfortunately this can become very time consuming and in practical when following the same procedure for large footballing countries, and therefore shall not be adopted in such places as Spain, France, Germany ect. due to my scouts having a good idea of what is going on in these countries.

Despite having two scouts travelling around South America, I am not entirely confident they are going to unearth me the next Neymar or Ronaldo. So therefore I took it upon myself to open up the youth intake page in Brazil's transfer and have a look myself. What I was confronted with was endless amounts of players, and found myself in a bit of a needle in the hay-stake situation. It took me around 15mins to look through around 50 teams for players, how I approached it was like this;

1)
From the youth intake screen the larger clubs such as Santos, Corinthians etc. had around 10 players each. Therefore I viewed the squads of these clubs.

2)
I was viewing the Squad of players at clubs through their home-grown status, so was therefore able to see each players Unique ID - and could easily determine which player is a regen and which was not.

3)
From seeing a Unique ID that represented a regen, I would use the new addition to FM12 - the 'i' button next to the respective player. This would give me a snapshot of the players stats whilst staying on the squad screen of the club.

4)
When looking at the stats I'd be first drawn to the players Determination - anything below 13 and he was disregarded, unless it was evident that he had exceptional technical ability already. This was under the premise that without a high Determination he wouldn't have the correct personality and any hidden potential would not be fully tapped into.

5)
If a player met the 13 or above Determination criteria and from first glance had respectable technical ability for his respective position he was added to my scouting pool for a report for my scouts to get busy on. Any player that had a ludicrously low stat, for example a defender that had the strength reminiscent of a feeble old lady.

6)
A couple of days later I would now have reports on the select few players that met my criteria, and I would now have the full view of each of their stats; along with my scouts opinion upon them.

-After viewing the teams that had gained numerous players, I was left with around 20-25 clubs who had only taken in one or two players. I had to individually look at these players, going back and forth from player to youth intake screen for about 100 or so players. This was a largely unsuccessful, in so much most of these players have no careers in football and quite frankly better suited to staking shelves. One or two players were found, but from spending so much time doing so was it worth it. I draw solace that there was no way that my scouts would have picked up Nene - a 18yo center back from Third division Joinsville. He may turn out useless, but with a hidden determination and 17,11,14 for Tackling, Marking and Heading respectively he caught my eye for closer inspection.

So far I have only really carried out this process in the larger countries of Brazil and Russia; but have become slightly disillusioned with the daunting process of trailing through 250-300 regens from Iceland and Ireland, when the clubs in these countries represent no footballing quality and will unlikely justify my time searching. Seeing has I had a scout with good knowledge of Ireland I sent him to the Emerald Isle for a look at what the country had to offer. But with something that could be seen as a mild form of OCD I cannot blindly dismiss the fact that there isn't the next Eider Gudjohnsen hidden in a U18 team I've never heard of let alone pronounce; and with little available scouting knowledge of a country like Iceland I cannot send anyone there.

Does anyone have any insight to what has been said here, and is the placement of quality regens solely determined on the quality of the clubs youth academy? In respect to this, and something that has fueled my new scouting approach is that in last years FM; off the top of my head I remember in different saves paying over the odds for world class players from Libiya, Australia and Uzbekistan - when I could have cut out the middle men and sourced them directly from their starter club from a pittance. I remember seeing a thread a while ago with the Training Facilities and level of Youth Academies for clubs around the world, is this still around - despite searching, cannot shed any light.

Sounds like an interesting approach. I hadn't seen the national youth intake screen before this, it would be useful if it could be filtered (by clubs with certain facilities or by the people in it), or if you could select multiple people when viewing it.

I thought this, would be incredibly easy just to highlight hundreds of players in one fell swoop. Slightly deterred doing this for the October delivery of regens; the whole of Africa seems to get them at the same time - so literally thousands in the youth intake on transfers on the African continent screen.

Would make things easier to know what teams have better facilities around the world, as you can always be safe in the knowledge that the likes of Barca, Bayern, Man U are producing quality players year after year.

Archived