Team Meetings

I had a team meeting after we (Arsenal) lost 6:1 to Man Utd. I said to my players in a calm manner that we had not been playing very well lately

i wish i hadnt as i thought Van Persie was going to start crying on Wilshere's shoulder. no players reacted well, 14 players reacted badly

iv played 2 games since then, a 2:0 win against Stoke & a 4:0 win against Newcastle

They're a bit of a shambles really. I'm managing Plymouth, vying at the top of League 1 for automatic promotion/ the play offs, went on a run of 1 win in 4 with 2 draws and Carl Fletcher, my player/coach/captain suggests to call a team meeting so I thought I'd test it to see how it works this year so I saved the game before doing it. Well it doesn't work too well at all it seems, tried a few different tone approaches and every time every single one of the players were demotivated and threw the toys out of the pram, including my captain who was the one who wanted the meeting in the first place! All my squad demotivated immediately from the first comment and then I tried asking my captain and vice captain if they'd anything to add and they basically told me to get stuffed. It seems fairly cosmetic though as it didn't affect the squads performances on the pitch. So all in all fairly pointless and if I get asked to call one again I just won't bother!

I tried one so far.

I was top of my league heading for promotion with a dozen or so games left. 4 more victories and the runner up wouldn't be able to catch me.

Not really sure what to say, I just tell them in a calm manner that we are close to nabbing the tile and just need a few more victories.

Captain joins in and adresses the others with telling them that we can do it.

Random player basicly says the same thing.

Seems like people are fired up and everyone wants to pinch in the extra effort near the end to ensure the league victory.

Meeting ends and 2 of my key players now have as bad a morale as they can get, despite being 'super' morale before the meeting.... :confused:

I stopped bothering with meetings after that. Seemed more like a way to hurt your own morale than anything else.

Archived