A new way to negotiate transfers

At the moment it's a case of finding out how much money you have available, targeting the players you want, doing all the negotiations yourself as well as all the contract details. This isn't how it happens "in real life"..so I was thinking...

Do you ever think Football Manager will go down the route where:

The manager (you) find a player you would like to bring to the club..

You then go to the board/chairman confirming your interest in him..

You make clear that he is a transfer target..

The chairman enters negotiations with the club then the player.. (if they have permission)

Then come back to you with details such as how much he would cost and want in wages..

Whether they would be willing to put up such money for the player..

If they are, then you can then make the decison if he would justify it..

I actually would really like something like this, it would be refreshing and I'd be interested to see how people would take to it..even if they just released a demo with it like this as a little trial icon_confused.gif

The process you describe is probably closer to the true nature of football than what FM provides. However, I would be wary because some key decisions are withheld from you. Would you still be accountable for the salary budget since it's not you negotiating the details of the contracts? In any event, the procedure would become more cumbersome and this is why I'm not really too keen on the idea.

Although i think its a good idea i wonder if it would take away alot of our control? Things like whether you want to pay the whole fee straight away or in monthly deposits, whether to add various clauses etc, i would still want to control these aspects of negotiations.

Also as it was said i would prefer to have control of budget adjustments still.

Currently the AI's ability to negotiate is awful IMO so i would prefer to see this improved and keep transfers the way they are.

I think this should be considered as an option for future versions, you decide whether you want to sort transfers or get your Chief Executive (not Chairman, they just state your budget). This could be in an options screen like the 'Take control of reserve team' one.

i think that sigames should make the game as realistic as they possibly can so we can really experience club management.

i would be really intrested if they got rid of all the media comments that we have to choose from and we got given a box that we could type are comments in to. and the same with team talks. we are the managers so we should b allowed to do this. and i tink i will tell how good some mangers really are.

Originally posted by mc-gunner:

i think that sigames should make the game as realistic as they possibly can so we can really experience club management.

i would be really intrested if they got rid of all the media comments that we have to choose from and we got given a box that we could type are comments in to. and the same with team talks. we are the managers so we should b allowed to do this. and i tink i will tell how good some mangers really are.

That would be a logistical nightmare to implement.How would they interpret what you are typing into that box into code for the players to follow??

No, they really shouldn't.

If FM was as realistic as possible, I would never get a job. SI should look to make the game as fun as possible without losing the sense of realism.

There is no way that this could be implemented. Besides, even if it could, I wouldn't welcome it.

this will be impossible to inplement into the game, how would the game know what you are trying to say to your players and the media...

To the original poster...

Good idea, but how much control will that leave you whitin the game.. dealing in the transfer market is a big part of FM and taking that control away will limit peoples fun..

Yea an option to turn on might be a good idea.. but i like it the way it is.. maybe add more options in contract and transfer negotiations..

No, they really shouldn't.

If FM was as realistic as possible, I would never get a job. SI should look to make the game as fun as possible without losing the sense of realism.

One of the best posts I've seen on here icon14.gif

OP. IF this was an option I wouldn't have a problem with it but I really don't want to have any control taken from me. I love the fact that I can target any player I want and as long as he's in my budget, get him. To have that control taken away from me would really kill my enjoyment of this game.

a possible amendment to the suggestion could be:

allowing managers to negotiate transfers yourself as is now, but to have an option to pass the negotiations over to the chairman with you setting a maximum price you would consider suitable for the transfer.

meaning that they could go back and forth with the other team until they come to an agreement

• SI Staff

I quite like the idea of having differing levels of control in the game with you having the option of passing off certain tasks to others. It's already in there at a basic level with the Manager Options section.

Maybe an option for the future could be something like a Director of Football type role who would deal with bringing in transfer targets and negotiating contracts. Maybe even then it could be opened up as a role you could take on yourself.

I've not really given it that much thought though to be honest.

I reckon that it should depend on the club that you are at.

For example Arsene Wenger at Arsenal has a lot more control over transfers than say Rijkaard did at Barca.

Possibly the amount of control should be negotiated when you join a new club (like contract & budget). So you could turn jobs down if the club weren't prepared to give you as much control as you want.

With clubs being more likely to give better managers more control.

A better way could be recommending a player to the board if he is beyond the reach of your transfer budget. For example if you have 10 million of budget remaining and a player you want costs around 12-13 million, then you should recommend him to the board and they should be willing to extend your budget by 50-75% of the remaining budget (depending on the club in question). The excess amount should be deducted in the next transfer budget

Originally posted by tingting:

A better way could be recommending a player to the board if he is beyond the reach of your transfer budget. For example if you have 10 million of budget remaining and a player you want costs around 12-13 million, then you should recommend him to the board and they should be willing to extend your budget by 50-75% of the remaining budget (depending on the club in question). The excess amount should be deducted in the next transfer budget

This already happens. I signed David Villa and Sergio Aguero but didn't have enough in the transfer pot to sign Aguero, so the board asked me would I like to adjust the wage & transfer budget to push the Aguero transfer through.

This has been suggested before, and should definately be implemented. How much of a role you play in transfers should depend on your chairman/dir of football and the size of the club. A lot of club managers do deal with budgets (lower league clubs), but the big clubs of the world tend to have people to negotiate transfers and wage structures.

For top clubs I would recommend as a manager you'd suggest a player, suggest a max price and a max wage, and leave it up to the dir of football or whoever. Other chairman like Aulas would just go ahead and buy players for you without even asking (I know this happens already).

Originally posted by boyo79:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tingting:

This already happens. I signed David Villa and Sergio Aguero but didn't have enough in the transfer pot to sign Aguero, so the board asked me would I like to adjust the wage & transfer budget to push the Aguero transfer through. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a bit different from what is being suggested. You made a trade-off between your wage budget and your transfer budget.

Tingting suggested dipping into next season's budget...

About the comments box:

It's impossible, SI would need to think up every comment you could possibly make in advance and then create a slightly different reaction for it.

An alternative would be to have a contsructor where you peice together parts of a sentence from drop down menu boxes, a little laborious (both on our side and even more so for SI) but the only possible alternative to fixed options.

Originally posted by nine_iron:

About the comments box: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's impossible, SI would need to think up every comment you could possibly make in advance and then create a slightly different reaction for it.

An alternative would be to have a contsructor where you peice together parts of a sentence from drop down menu boxes, a little laborious (both on our side and even more so for SI) but the only possible alternative to fixed options. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Imagine how quickly that would become repetitive though?

Originally posted by Anderson_8:

At the moment it's a case of finding out how much money you have available, targeting the players you want, doing all the negotiations yourself as well as all the contract details. This isn't how it happens "in real life"..so I was thinking...

Do you ever think Football Manager will go down the route where:

The manager (you) find a player you would like to bring to the club..

You then go to the board/chairman confirming your interest in him..

You make clear that he is a transfer target..

The chairman enters negotiations with the club then the player.. (if they have permission)

Then come back to you with details such as how much he would cost and want in wages..

Whether they would be willing to put up such money for the player..

If they are, then you can then make the decison if he would justify it..

I actually would really like something like this, it would be refreshing and I'd be interested to see how people would take to it..even if they just released a demo with it like this as a little trial icon_confused.gif

Ace, i really think this would improve a game that's meant to be as close as you can get to the real thing, but lets face it, it wont happen for a long time,why? because if they improved Everyting in one go, know one would buy the next version, People would just edit the teams and players themself.

Still a great Idea though. icon14.gif

they board person cant be any worse at making transfers than i am. 27 million pounds for huntelar i ended up turning it down. for fred i needed about 20 million pounds. and despite many attempts ranging between 20-25 million pounds i could not get nasari. i try to get plays would 5 million pounds and the club end up wanting 14 million.

i ended up not signing any of those players.

Archived