Steam Unavailable AGAIN.....

This has happened way too many times and every time i always have to keep uninstalling my game and reinstalling.....nothing else seems to work...

how long is this going to happen....do i need to go back to FM2011 and get rid of this one or one day will i actually be able to enjoy this game without being stressed?

• Administrators

Thanks for replying Neil but i've done all that from the post you did before regarding all the issues....reinstalling is the only one that seems to work,then i'll get to play it for a few times before it tells me the game is unavailable again

Quick question regarding this - if I install off a dvd and set it to offline mode on Steam would this still be an issue?

I activated with Steam then put and kept if in off-line mode. I've had no issues with loading the game.

Maybe SI won't answer this, but if the primary reason for using Steam was to avoid piracy before the initial sales period, now that the bulk of sales (95%) are done and the game is cracked anyway, is it not time to just drop steam for those who don't want it and allow us to play from the disc?

I activated with Steam then put and kept if in off-line mode. I've had no issues with loading the game.

Maybe SI won't answer this, but if the primary reason for using Steam was to avoid piracy before the initial sales period, now that the bulk of sales (95%) are done and the game is cracked anyway, is it not time to just drop steam for those who don't want it and allow us to play from the disc?

Like you said mate SI won't answer this,but that would be perfect if they did that and we went back to the old days of just clicking the FM icon to play the game

I had this problem a couple of times. Each time I turned off my computer and it was back up and running again with no hitches . It also seemed to happen because I had clicked the icon too many times and it confused it, if that helps

SI have answered this, they have said a couple of times that it is Steam all the way for FM12. Unless Steam go bust. ;)

Steam was hacked so maybe for that reason you had problems.

Steam, the digital distribution network, announced today an important message pertaining to their service. Sunday November 6, the Steam forums were defaced, with an investigation discovering that more than just the forums being hacked, but users personal information was also hacked into.

Steam at this time announced that while the intruders obtained access to the database, which includes hashed and salted passwords, game purcahses, billing addressed and encypted credit card information, they do not have evicence that the encrypted credit card information or personal identifying information was taken. At this time Steam is still currently investigating.

Steam announced that all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. They also suggest not using the same password as the one you access your Steam acount. At this time Steam only knows of a few forum accounts has been compromised. They also recommend keeping an on eye any suspicious credit card activity.

Steam was hacked so maybe for that reason you had problems.

Steam, the digital distribution network, announced today an important message pertaining to their service. Sunday November 6, the Steam forums were defaced, with an investigation discovering that more than just the forums being hacked, but users personal information was also hacked into.

Steam at this time announced that while the intruders obtained access to the database, which includes hashed and salted passwords, game purcahses, billing addressed and encypted credit card information, they do not have evicence that the encrypted credit card information or personal identifying information was taken. At this time Steam is still currently investigating.

Steam announced that all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. They also suggest not using the same password as the one you access your Steam acount. At this time Steam only knows of a few forum accounts has been compromised. They also recommend keeping an on eye any suspicious credit card activity.

Thanks for this Grim

I haven't heard of this until now so maybe it makes sense why mine is still playing up.

To clarify, the BBC link is reporting merely on the Valve statement that was posted on these forums yesterday, which can be found in the locked thread linked in post #13 (http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/286587-Valve-confirms-Steam-security-breach). They've just dragged their heels with reporting it- it does not suggest there has been any further development.

They've done exactly what should be expected in this situation, which is exactly what Sony did. Shutdown the network entirely, release no information about how it was done until you are 100% certain you know yourself and can fix it, and state you have no evidence of financial details being stolen.

Although, 'no evidence' doesn't mean 'it didn't happen'. It just means, 'we don't know yet'.

In defence of Steam, I have been playing WWFM since the 2007 version & have always had Steam as the gaming base. In this time I've maybe had a problem twice, three times? For the huge number of playing hours online this is a pretty good record. Also had great performance from the Steam off-line option. Credit to Steam & SI for the bug free performance I have enjoyed thus far. Am I just lucky?

Have to say though, I still can't sell any of my transfer-listed players for love nor money, ha ha!

Have SI/SEGA made any kind of official statement on this yet?

This is closest:

Matt - SEGA

Like their hundreds of other development partners and 30 million plus customers, we're dependent on Steam to provide us updates regarding the issues they've had. They're best placed to deal with this and advise on it, obviously.

I've followed the official line on changing password (they suggest that this is more important if you also have a Steam forum account). Our friends at Eurogamer have provided some information on how to do this here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...steam-password

As regards credit cards - they're quite clear. Again, quoting from Eurogamer - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...curity-breach:

"We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

"We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time," the note continued. "Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely."

In my opinion, that's quite definitive.

I'm unaware of anything else we have to say at this time, but if there is going to be a statement, it'll be made and stickied on these forums.

Cheers

Matt

Post #6 here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/286770-Sticky-on-Steam-security-breach

Steam wasn't hacked - the Steam forums were hacked. There's a difference. I doubt it would have any impact on the ability to play your Steam games.

What was this message all about then?

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums. We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating. We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well. We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

They seem to be changing there version of events now. Glad I made the decision not to buy FM this year due to the chances of something like this happening.

http://www.t3.com/news/valve-confirms-steam-hacked-credit-card-details-may-be-at-risk

Uhm, no they're not, at least not on the link you've provided. Again, as with the BBC article, that link is simply reporting on the statement they released several days ago, quoted in full by pigfacemonkeyman. The quotes in the article are lifted directly from it, that site's just been a bit slow with its reporting.

Archived