Broadband Steam Issue

Hello,

I have had Sky Broadband 2GB limit for years now and only ever used about 10% of it a month.

Now, playing Football Manager last month with Steam online took me over the 2GB allowance. I have since followed the FAQ and set Steam up offline, and 10 days in to this month I am at 55%, therefore going to go over again.

Why is this happening? How can I be using so much GB when it is offline? (and I am assuming I have set it up correctly, as everytime I load FM, it tells me to go online or remain playing offline) (altho steam achievments on FM still happen...).

Please can someone explain this as I can not afford unlimited broadband, and shouldn't have to upgrade to play FM. Thanks

In my experience it is likley the patches/updates that have taken a lot of the broadband allocation.

This is one of the issues with Steam only, it may be easier for SI to release patches via Steam but unfortunately if you are on a broadband limit then it isn't so easy for you if you want the game updated and running properly.

SI first, customer second!

May be worth also contacting Steam to see if they could explain the usage and where it is likely to have come from as well but would assume the patches/updates is the culprit.

Thanks for your comments, however it is not the updates. I have only ever had one update, since then it has been offline and I have not been online once to download any of the other patches.

Also, it is only yesterday that I have the email to say I have just gone over 50%.

Thanks for your comments, however it is not the updates. I have only ever had one update, since then it has been offline and I have not been online once to download any of the other patches.

Also, it is only yesterday that I have the email to say I have just gone over 50%.

If you still get achievements it suggests you are not offline as you only get them when you have Steam online.

You can check your FM version in "Game Status" to see which update you are running and you will then know if it has downloaded the latest one or not.

Aside from that do you use a wired or wireless router and is the connection secure?

Archived