The rise of the 5-0-5

Broloi

The 5-0-5?!?

A formation that is commonly used by secondary schools in Hong Kong. This formation is used with the 'kick and run' tactics. The first '5' includes five full backs who concentrate on clearing the ball and organize attack by kicking the ball directly into the opponent's box. As only long balls are used, midfielders are not needed to organize the attack. This formation is useful for teams that do not have good skills but have good physical fitness.

- Wikipedia

Now.. That's the real-life version of the 5-0-5. My goal is to make this work in FM and do it while playing in the lower leagues of countries around the world.

I ran a small scale test of the tactic, which created some surprising results. I went for the Danish champions, FCK, and used the tactic through their preseason:

footballclubkbenhavnfix.png

We played quiet good actually. Defenders kept pushing up, while attackers went down to chase the other team, and a combination of defensive wings and wing backs made good use of both sides of the field. We were overpowered by City, but I was expecting that anyways. They scored their first one on a corner while the second were a long shot.

The specs

I'm not going with many leagues as a start. I'll be loading the following down to the lowest tier:

- England

- France

- Italy

- Spain

- Germany

- Holland

- Portugal

- Denmark

I'll most likely start in Denmark and hopefully make my way up the ranks. I'll be keeping the five first leagues available at all times, but might add/remove others. I'm playing with a large size database and no additional leagues.

bgau.png

Boldklubberne Glostrup Albertslund

Boldklubberne Glostrup Albertslund (BGA) is a Danish football club currently playing in the Danish 2nd Division East. It is a merger of Glostrup FK and Albertslund IF.

They play at Glostrup Idrætspark in Glostrup, Metropolitan Copenhagen, which has a capacity of 4,000.

glostrupidrtspark.jpg

(Taken from Wikipedia)

Well.. BGA it is then. They're an amateur team expected to finish 7th.. My hopes are for a mid-table placement.

The Team Report shows that we need a couple of good attackers, while the defense looks reasonable.

Only problem is that my ass. manager thinks Jamal Bhuyan is the current best player.. And he's a midfielder.. :(

Anyways, I'm hopefully going to get some decent strikers and a couple more defenders in before the start of the season.

I couldn't agree more noikee. It would be complete madness and my team is really in trouble in the friendlies, but we aren't getting hammered by any team. :)

Thanks rancer890.. pre-season will follow either today or tomorrow.

BGA - Danish 2nd Division East - 2011/2012 Pre-Season

Budget:

Tranfers Budget: £0 - £0 Remaining

Wage Budget: £0 p/w - Currently using £0 p/w

Tranfers: ( link ) - Most of the squad I inherited were bad.. As in REALLY BAD.. I released them and brought some foreigners in. I searched the marked for Danish players, but the quality were just as rubbish as the ones I had released, which made me search the world and I was able to bring a good bunch of young and old players together. I even had time to find some players for my youth-team ;)

Squad - The current squad with my main 11.

Key Players:

Rene Osei Kovi - DR: Freebie. He were hanging around the Ghanaian U-20 Squad when I spotted him. He were rumored to several French clubs. One of the best, if not the best defender in my main 11.

Boussad Houche - DC: Came in from the Belgian club Couvin-Maiembourg. His experience will be vital when leading the defense. Will be playing as the central defender and will also be the most 'pushy' defender. He's going to lead the line and put pressure on the opponent's attack.

Mohammad Niambele - DC: Niambele have been hanging around the Danish 1st/2nd Division for a decade, when I snapped him from Blockhus FC. He's been my best player in the pre-season friendlies with 2 MoM and 3 goals, while being rated 7.24 for 7 games. Not that bad after all.

Didiet Paass - ST: Former Togo international, who'll hopefully be my main striker. He's been playing in leagues around Europe and have 8 appearances for the national team. He should be solid and consistent at this level and he'll be bagging most of our goals. I'm hoping he's not as injury prone as the pre-season showed - He have been injured two times already..

Kévin Parienté - AML: Will be playing at our left flank and hopefully get some assists. He's been consistent in the pre-season, with two assists in 3 games. He should be able to make good use of the left together with Denis Dierne.

Expectations:

2nd Division East: Respectable League Position - Anything midtable would do for me with this tactic.

Danish Cup: Reach the Second Round - We should be able to reach the Second Round.

Pre-season Friendlies:

bgapreseasonfixtures.th.png

Tactical Watch:

Now.. The friendlies weren't what I had expected, but I altered the tactic a bit and it seemed to help. We played really well in the two we won, but were awful when attacking in the ones we lost. That might also be our main problem, we can't seem to get the ball in, while the opponents get a goal from a set-piece or a longshot.

My current tactic: Link

I'm not really playing as a true 5-0-5, since I'm not using the 'kick and run' part. We're trying to use the combination of wingbacks and defensive wingers to get the ball down the sides most of the time. The two 'defensive' attackers are chasing the opponent's defenders when they got the ball, while the three main defenders are putting pressure on the opponents, when they get closer to our goal.

My only problem are the lucky longshot-goals and set-pieces. They're what we've lost in most games.

Now, if you want any screenshots or anything just say :) . And anything that can help improve my writing would help too.. Remember, I'm new at this and will take any advice openhearted :D

I agree Nordan. I like reading people's topics, when they try something completely different.

First game of the season and we lost 4-3, after being in front 3-1 at half time.. Well, at least we're scoring and being competive throughout the game. But set-pieces and long shots are still our main concern.

bgau.png

BGA - Danish 2nd Division East - 2011/2012 Mid-Season

FIXTURES | LEAGUE | POSITION GRAPH

DANISH 2ND DIVISION EAST

It took some time for the team to get used to the new tactic and find each other, which led to us loosing five in a row. We were playing highly unorganized and were giving the ball away on everything, even simple passes. But the team picked up and fought for their first win.. And what a game. We controlled the field and kept Vanløse from any big chances, while our attack kept producing CCC constantly. The next couple of games were tight looses, mostly due to set-pieces or lucky goal. My main striker, Didier Paass, weren't bagging any during these games too, which didn't help. We had 3-7 CCC each game, but couldn't finish them.

I changed some things in the tactic and made some changes to our set-piece defense before the game against SC Egedal. It seemed to help and Didier bagged a hattrick in the next two games. Sadly, we ended the first part of the season with games against the topsides HIK & Rishøj. They were better than us and deserved their wins.

DANISH CUP

Well.. Knocked out in the First round. Wasn't what I expected, but the team was still gelling and getting used to the tactic at the time.

OVERALL

A disappointing half-season, but was expecting it. We're able to keep the opponents from CCC and most of their goals are either individual performances, long shots or defenders doing something stupid. Our defensive line needs to be more aggressive and keep their focus throughout the game. Our attack is kind of disappointing too. We've scored 29 in 15 games, which is the second best in the league, but I've got two main strikers and one back-up who seems to miss far to much. I might need to find some new strikers in this transfer window.

I thought that but it looked a slightly odd shape. Having just taken another peak, it works if the man has very bushy hair and a beard, and that hat does look a bit scottish, something to do with sailors perhaps, but don't know the club's origins or those of the clubs it was formed from.

That's a very weird mascot.. It could look like anything on their logo :) .

I'm mostly picking foreigners, because the Danish clubs doesn't seem to pinch them.. My top players will move to other countries, but I'll keep most of them in the club.

The clubs in the Danish 2nd Division is constantly roaming the transfer marked for amateur players to pinch.. It's hard to get hold of any quality Danes and keep them at your club. They'll most likely stay for half a season and then move to another club in the league.

Your tactic is a more extreme version of my tactic, i play a 4-3-3 with the 3 upfront all being poachers and basically the idea is to hoof it over the defence and let them run after it and it suprisingly works.

I'm rather using the sides than the 'kick and run', since I'm missing a midfield and long balls would most likely end up being in the possession of my opponents. ;)

And the second part of the season is underway:

elite3000vglostrupalber.png

Olesen were dominating - DOUBLE HATRICK! .. We were playing quick counter-attacking football with few passes. Getting it forward in a hurry ;)

elite3000vglostrupalber.png

Now, this is what makes this tactic special...

Opponents:

Shots: 11

Longshots: 8

CCC: 1

Us:

Shots: 15

Longshots: 1

CCC: 6

And look at the on target percentage. The on target percentage and the CCC are the same every game when looking at our side, while the opponents tend to have more on target shots when we loose. That's the biggest difference.

Indeed.. We went on and didn't loose in the next six games.

Ohh, and Paass goes BOOOM!

[video=youtube_share;EJj42jU7gkM]

A bit lucky I know, but still a good shot. He's bagging some nice goal together with Olesen.

Hopefully you can start filling those stadiums soon. Haha :)

Yea.. Our average attendance is the lowest in the league. Currently at 77, lol.

Arg.. The game crashed while saving, setting me back seven games.. I'll try and hurry through them.

bgau.png

BGA - Danish 2nd Division East - 2011/2012 End of Season

Final Transfers | In | Out 1 | Out 2

Lots of dead wood, who were released on a free at the start of the season. I basically rebuild the team and brought in a lot of freebies. Most of them were foreigners and very few Danes. Boussad Houche and Dider Paass were my main signings in the summer transfer. Houche's experience were important in the defense and Paass' pace were key to the attack. I also found two keepers, who played an important role in this season, these were Matjez Rozak and Simon Tracol.

A few players left in the winter transfer, including key-player Kévin Parienté, who returned to his own nation and joined FC Libourne. Brazilian Weller and Ghanaian Mark Amofah were released after disappointing appearances. Amofah played 14 games as a striker, but did only manage to score 1. Weller retired shortly after being released, while Amofah were signed by Thisted FC, playing in the Danish 2nd Division West.

Hoche didn't play the season through, as French team Sporting Toulon Var made a bid. He accepted and left us two days before the last game of the season.

Competition

Danish 2nd Division East | Fixtures | League | Position Graph

What a surprise. We were expected to finish at 5th and we ended at that spot. The two half-seasons were like night and day though. We conceded far to many and scored few in the first half, but a good run of friendlies in the winter break, with wins over Superliga-teams Brøndby and OB fired us up for the second part of the season. We started with a disappointing lose, but won the next game 7-0, mostly thanks to a double-hattrick by Didier Paass. We then played possessive (!) football and scored at will. Our attack were far superior and our defense kept the opponents from creating CCC's. Especially Jacob Olesen played an important role, as he got League Topscorer, with 24 goals. Paass came second with 21 goals.

Danish Cup | Fixtures

Kind of sad. I had hoped we could manage getting past Fremad Amager, but we lost and were beaten in the First Round. The team were still gelling and getting used to the new tactic at the time.

Squad

The team is actually pretty good for this level. It's a good mix of young, peaking and experienced players. I do hope I can keep them at the club, since other clubs are looking at a few of my key-players as we speak.

Jacob Olesen were definably one of our best players. He bagged 24 in 27 appearances, a great achievement for such an experienced player. Bids have already gone in on him, and I'm expecting him to leave soon.

Rene Osei Kovi were another important player. He came in from the Ghanaian U-20's at the age of 19 and played really well throughout the season. Even though being a back, he still managed to get 9 assists. I'm having high hopes for him in the future, if I'm able to keep him.

Didier Paass were my main striker and he's given me reason to keep him. He had 27 appearances and scored 21, which is only topped by Olesen. He had some great individual goals and were a constant danger to the opponents defense. The Togolese manager even watched a couple of games and he might get capped again soon.

Last key-player is our goal keeper. We started with Matjez Rezman as our first choice, but he disappointed and that left the box for young Cambodian goalkeeper Simon Tracol, who grabbed the chance and played like a 32-year old ;) . He's been consistent throughout the season and were far better than Rezman. He even got a couple of caps for the Cambodian U-21 and national team.

Tactical Watch

The tactic is actually working good. We're playing possessive football, with a possession percentage of 55-60 % per game, which is surprising. The attack is really working well, as they're snapping everything up and creating lots and lots of chances. Most of my goals comes from CCC's. We're creating lots of CCC's, at least 3-6 each game. The opponents are creating far less.. Mostly 1-3 at best. Most of their goals are still either long shots, set-pieces or individually skilled players.

We're the most scoring team in the league, but do also have a problem with leaking a lot of goals. Another problem is our discipline. We're the worst disciplined team in the league, getting 65 yellow cards.. That's 9 more than the second worst.. And 32 more than the best disciplined team. I have to do something about this.

Overview - Next Season

Wow.. What a season. I'm having a lot of fun, while playing. The tactic is really interesting and I love the way we've been able to create chances at will and score as we wanted. I need to find a way to stabilize the defense, which is our main problem right now.

I've already signed two new wingers, who'll add a lot of improvement to the attack, as we're able to make quality crosses now. We might score even more :eek: .

Next season is set for promotion if we're able to keep the current form. We should be able to make it with the current players. I just need to keep them at the club, which is hard at amateur level :(

Next season is set for promotion if we're able to keep the current form. We should be able to make it with the current players. I just need to keep them at the club, which is hard at amateur level

Great job indeed! :thup:

Amateurs in the 3rd tier surely is a bit weird I think?

Hopefully you will turn semi-pro before too long. :)

Great job indeed! :thup:

Amateurs in the 3rd tier surely is a bit weird I think?

Hopefully you will turn semi-pro before too long. :)

Half of the teams are semi-pro, while the other half is still amateurs.. I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. We were around £50K into the red when I took over and have just managed to get into the black by now. Its funny though, because I don't know where the money are coming from, lol.. Our average attendance is the lowest in the league, with only 77 people showing up. We're filling 1 % of our stadium capacity and is still making money..

Might be TV-rights or pre-season friendlies against 1st tier teams though. :)

200pxuefaeuro2012logo.png

UEFA EUROPEAN FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP 2012

Group Stages:

grupper.png

A couple of surprises here. The biggest surprise must be the fact that Croatia and Belarus came first and second in Group D, while Holland and France were kicked out with only 2 points. Group A were a surprise too.. Every team had one win, one lose and one tie and surprisingly, Russia ended bottom in that group.

Group B didn't really have any surprises.. If you count out that England won everything :cool: . Group C were a killer though. Spain and Italy as favorites, with both Greece and Scotland as underdogs and Scotland pulled it of and dumped Italy, who hit bottom together with Greece. The Italian manager were sacked after the finale, together with the French manager.

Finales:

43419476.png

The group stage were over and Ireland were up against mighty Germany.. And won. They went into extra time and it all ended for Germany in the 98th minute, when Ciaran Clark hit goal. Croatia went on with a 4-1 win over Scotland, while both England and Spain managed a 1-0 victory.

The semi's saw Ireland against Croatia and they proved effective ones again and won 2-0.. Sending them in their first ever European Championship Finale!

Spain vs. England must have been a killer. Spain scored to 1-0 into extra time of the first half. David Villa executed a penalty beautiful, but England hit back in second half. Frank Lampard bagged one, which left the score at a tie for the rest of the game. John Terry were injured in the 86th minute and two English players were booked, while four Spanish got yellow too.

Overtime didn't bring and goals and they went into penalty. David Villa missed the first one for Spain and Fernando Llorente missed the second one. England didn't miss and and went on into the finale against Ireland.

The finale were an intense game. Darren Bent scored in the 2nd minute, bringing England in front, but Ireland hit back. Robbie Keane bagged one in the 16th minute. Rooney then scored in the 20th minuted and it looked like England would win for most of the game. But Chris McCann wanted it different and scored in the 74th minute, sending the finale into extra time. Nothing interesting happened in extra time and it all looked like a penalty shoot-out, until the 119th minute. Darren Bent resurfaced and scored the important goal. England had won the European Championship 2012!

Ireland vs. England, what an interesting Final :) Spain defeated England in my save at the Euro 2012 :)

Indeed, very interesting :) . Yea, I'm following a couple of threads in here and it always seems like Spain reaches the final :)

Belarus were a bit of a surprise.

Indeed.. They managed quiet good in their group. Won against Croatia and two draws against Holland and France. One of their players, Pavel Niakhaichyk, came third as best players and were mentioned as a starter for the dream team of the tournament.

bgau.png

BGA - Danish 2nd Division East - 2012/2013 Pre-Season

Budget:

Tranfers Budget: £0 - £0 Remaining

Wage Budget: £0 p/w - Currently using £0 p/w

Balance: £9.524 in the black

Tranfers | In | Out

I'm very happy with the people I were able to bring in, but it's sad that my key-players left on frees.

Both Jacob Olesen and Simon Tracol left for bigger clubs. Tracol is playing in the second tier, while Olesen is on a part-time contract at Brønshøj, who's expecting to finish fourth.

Gotovac didn't really get any first-team appearances. He were used as a backup, because Osei Kovi is far better. He started complaining and I departed him right away. I were sad to see Kongsted leave. He were an important backup for the defense and were able to play any defensive role. He were also a good prospect for the future as well.

The first new players to arrive at the club were Maxime Biaudet and Tom Soetaers. Both wingers and far better than the ones I already had. Soetaers is far too good for this level, but his stats are already decreasing, which is disappointing. I'm hoping to keep him for one or two seasons, at least.

Arséne Menessou and Matthew Edile were both suggested by my Assistant Manager. Menessou will fit right in and play most games, while Edile will be playing as a backup.

Dennis Bo Mortensen is supposed to be my new Olesen. He'll play at the same position and should be scoring at will :) .

The last two were goalkeepers. Rodney Ubbergen will be my backup for Rozman and might get some games against the lower teams. Dirk Meier will most likely end up rotting in the reserves. He's the 'just in case' backup, if anything should happen to both Rozman and Ubbergen.

Squad: All in all a very decent squad. I like the quality of my players and the mix of young and old. We should be ready for promotion.

Youngsters: I'll be listing my main youngsters here. Youngsters who've had first-team experience and that kind of things.

Luca Brancaccia - He joined the club on a free last season and had a few appearances towards the end of that season. He's one for the future, but is already bagging a few on the first-team. Good prospect.

Marco Roos - Well.. He's not really ready for the first-team yet, but I need him. The rules in the Danish leagues says that you'll need three U-21 players on the bench.. And he's the best U-21 defender I have. A good prospect though, can't wait to see him in the future.

Expectations:

Danish 2nd Division East - Respectable League Position - I'm definably pushing for promotion. My players are better than this league and we should be able to pull it of.

Danish Cup - Second Round - Third or Fourth round. Hoping I'll meet some Superliga teams later in the tournament.

Pre-season Friendlies:

We had a decent run against some lower-league teams. Started out by getting beaten by a Superliga team, only to turn around and win against a 1st Division team. If only we can keep the form in the league...

Tactical Watch:

Pretty much the same as last time.. Actually.. I haven't changed a thing. My players have been adapting to the tactic and my opponents still doesn't know what to do against 5 attackers.. Works like a charm.

Ireland made the final? Shocking. Good luck in the league this year!

Very shocking indeed! And even more chocking that they're able to keep England on a tie 'til the end of ordinary time.

Thanks, it's going quiet good. only lost one of my first 6 ;)

bgau.png

BGA - Danish 2nd Division East - 2012/2013 Mid-Season

FIXTURES | LEAGUE | POSITION GRAPH

DANISH 2ND DIVISION EAST

We did just what I had expected. Started with strong wins against three mid-league teams and a draw against Frem. We played exceptionally good football and scored a bunch of goals. Our opponents were often outplayed and we kept them from any major chances, even though they did tend to score one or two goals on half chances.

Our first lose came to relegated Brønshøj, who kidnapped Jacob Olesen from us last season :mad:. They hit us hard and we were outplayed and collapsed in the last 10 minutes.

We then played the next couple of games like the first games of the season. The worst thing to look at this season must be the two games we've lost later on. We should have won both, but the players didn't play good games at all and we were outplayed in both.

The defense is very consistent and I've got two top keepers for the league. The attack is lacking a bit, as we aren't scoring as much as last season. We need the goals to keep this tactic consistent.

DANISH CUP

We went through the first round with ease, as Bramming were defeated 4-1 in an away match. They're a non-league club and we had no problems there. The second round saw us drawing Vejle Boldklub - Kolding and they were too big for us. They quickly scored two goals and we were down by three just after the break. But a fantastic turn-around showed that we can compete with 1. Division clubs. We scored in the 59th, 73th and 86th minutes to make it into extra time. We then had two CCC's, but didn't manage to finish the game. It went into penalty and we lost.

OVERALL

The team has been performing quiet well. We're third in the league and a couple of good results could set us in first, which is my overall goal. Brønshøj is going to be our main competition, because their team is stronger than most other teams at this level. Skjold is a bit of a surprise. They're expected to finish 9th and I don't think they will be able to keep their current play. They'll most likely drop down the league and end somewhere in the middle.

Our cup run ended sooner than I expected, but I don't mind. My main focus is still on the league. We fought bravely against VB-K and were unlucky in the penalty shoot-out.

I've been bringing in several youngsters, who've all been appearing in first team matches. I expect a lot for the future, if I'm able to keep them around. Most of them are currently playing for their national youth-sides. My second choice for goalkeeper is also currently playing for Surinam's national side. The same goes for two of my new backs. And they are doing a decent job there too.

Another thing to notice is that half of my team is currently wanted by clubs aboard. Clubs from French, Belgium, Portugal, Holland and the likes are all watching my players.. The board doesn't want to turn the club pro, because the finances are currently in the red and I can't really do much about it. Baaah!.

Archived