Anyone lead a country to the World Cup Final?

Should say Anyone Lead a weak country to the World Cup Final

I managed Italy and Portugal in FM11 over the course of a long save but I always got bored (before any cup competitions) and found it a nuisance managing a country and my club. Ive done the whole Lower league thing but now Im thinking of trying to get the job for my home country of Ireland and bringing them World Cup glory.

What brought this on was the arrival of two new Irish Regens in my Youth Squad. They wont be world class by any means but they will certainly be alot better than anything Ireland has currently. So, is it doable, one shot every 4 years?

Im aware its going to be incredibly difficult. Would it be seen as "cheating" if I focused on bringing up Irish talent in my youth squad purely to aid my quest for the world cup?

I wouldn't call this cheating, go for it.

This is one aspect of the game I have never put much into, which is a shame. Its a competition I've always wanted to win but never have (in fact I have never tried). I think this year I will give it a go, probably after 10 or so years in my current save though.

Also, I think in order to achieve this with a less reputable nation it would be wise to wait a number of years and wait for regends to come through. In FM 2010 i found that Scotland had amazing youngsters and had a top class international squad by like 2021.

Regens I have are only 15 so looking at another 10 years anyway at least, depending on when the world cup falls. Only concern I have is building players up to 23-26. It realistically only gives me 2 shots at the cup over a span of 8 years unless I can keep a good flow of talent, I see that as being pretty difficult though. In all my team of playing FM I've only had 2 very good Irish Regens.

Is there a way to increase the likelihood of better quality regens without actually managing in the league and building up the leagues status by winning in Europe?

If I was to join the Irish League, how could I help increase the funds and interest in the League as a whole?

I wouldn't call this cheating, go for it.

This is one aspect of the game I have never put much into, which is a shame. Its a competition I've always wanted to win but never have (in fact I have never tried). I think this year I will give it a go, probably after 10 or so years in my current save though.

Also, I think in order to achieve this with a less reputable nation it would be wise to wait a number of years and wait for regends to come through. In FM 2010 i found that Scotland had amazing youngsters and had a top class international squad by like 2021.

Well on my FM 2012, Germany have gone right off the boil and are struggling to stay in the top 15 in the rankings, despite a great squad as they always seem to have. They sacked Löw after flopping at Euro 2012 and have slid down ever since.

My home nation, Wales, on the other hand, have improved as much in my game as they have in real life; started out 117th, but as that squad of talented youngsters matured, they've soared into the top 30 by 2013, and it's 2018 now. The only problem is, is that the next generation of welsh players are utter tripe, so I'm anticipating them falling down the rankings on my game pretty soon.

England won WC2014 with Capello, became 1st in the rankings and haven't looked back. Arsene Wenger and Claudio Ranieri have been his successors!

To answer the OP, I've never led a country to a WC final, but a very thin and underdeveloped Wales team lost 3-2 AET against the Netherlands in the semi-final of WC2014 on FM2008. I don't think grooming certain nationalities is cheating; I sign as many talented welsh players as possible, and even though they're very good, they still don't get picked for the national squad, so it's a lottery either way.

Regens I have are only 15 so looking at another 10 years anyway at least, depending on when the world cup falls. Only concern I have is building players up to 23-26. It realistically only gives me 2 shots at the cup over a span of 8 years unless I can keep a good flow of talent, I see that as being pretty difficult though. In all my team of playing FM I've only had 2 very good Irish Regens.

Is there a way to increase the likelihood of better quality regens without actually managing in the league and building up the leagues status by winning in Europe?

If I was to join the Irish League, how could I help increase the funds and interest in the League as a whole?

I suppose you could disable Ireland as a playable, then enable it again a year or two later. That way you could see what regens are churned out, chances are they'll be better than anyone it would have churned out if you were to have kept the league active. Only problem I have with this is I'd slightly consider it cheating, which is why I personally wouldn't go for it but you may not feel the same.

It's luck of the draw really in my opinion when it comes to nations. I've seen England turn terrible, as with Spain in previous games. I've also seen (as I mentioned before) Scotland do well (won the Euros) and other small teams. So my advice would be to play your game and monitor your nation, if you think its a worthy cause then go for it.

I suppose you could disable Ireland as a playable, then enable it again a year or two later. That way you could see what regens are churned out, chances are they'll be better than anyone it would have churned out if you were to have kept the league active. Only problem I have with this is I'd slightly consider it cheating, which is why I personally wouldn't go for it but you may not feel the same.

It's luck of the draw really in my opinion when it comes to nations. I've seen England turn terrible, as with Spain in previous games. I've also seen (as I mentioned before) Scotland do well (won the Euros) and other small teams. So my advice would be to play your game and monitor your nation, if you think its a worthy cause then go for it.

I dont have the league enabled and am 3 years into my save.

I had planned on enabling it 5 years before I attempted joining the Irish national team to see how things look in the league but Im basically going to get a tonne of unrealistic regens?

Sort of takes away the challenge.

I dont have the league enabled and am 3 years into my save.

I had planned on enabling it 5 years before I attempted joining the Irish national team to see how things look in the league but Im basically going to get a tonne of unrealistic regens?

Sort of takes away the challenge.

It shouldn't be that unrealistic, the game takes into account the league and using clever mechanics that produces players which would have been expected to be around. You may find some who are slightly better than usual but no Cristiano Ronaldo's popping up. Give it a try I'm sure it will still be challenging enough. I'd take the job a few years before the World Cup, gives you plenty of time to test players/formations out. Maybe after a World Cup sacking (if it happens) apply for the job, that way you have the Euros to look forward to and a pre World Cup competition to endulge in.

Well I dont know if they'd be considered an especially weak county but I got Scotland to the final in a previous version of the game.;)

Unfortunately they got completely thrashed by ENGLAND of all countries. Obviously I was gutted getting such a beating from the auld enemy!

On FM10 I took the Netherlands Antilles team to two successive world cup finals (won one and lost the other) which I'm proud of. Although I edited many of the clubs youth academies so that they produced talent and also made the league playable. So it's not really as amazing as it sounds.

For the record. Won the first final 3-1 against Brazil after winning every game in the competition by only a 1-0 margin (I played incredibly defensive tactics). Beat Brazil, Iran and Sweden in the Group before beating Belarus, USA and I think France in the later rounds. Best match in my FM career by a mile.

And in the second I had the Netherlands, China and Venezuela in the group and won all of those confortably with a better team than before. Beat Poland in a nervy encounter before England and Germany. Lost to Mexico in the final even after caning them in every other match we ever played when I was in charge. I resigned and immediately regretted it.

That's a pretty big achievement as well. I suppose it was basic chauvinism at its most heartless for me to assume that she just played with Brazil or Spain and holidayed the whole way through. :o

To be fair I would have thought pretty much the same thing if it was someone else's missus. She never played FM11 but with me going to play Skyrim for the next few weeks I can see her playing FM12. How could I possibly live it down if she won the World Cup again?

Archived