Players' confidence level and mental state

and i don't mean the mental state of Gazza. icon_razz.gif

At the moment, we have Condition and Morale which affect how the players perform. I think what is missing though, is the confidence level and possibly their mental state.

At the moment Morale seem to cover confidence. but imho they should be seperate, because essentially that's two different thing.

As for mental state, sometimes we do see them in the form of various "PR" state under "Happiness". The problem i have with this is that they don't occur a lot of the time and that seem to me most players enter a match in an indifferent manner.

Those will add extra importance to how the manager deal with teamtalk, media, and maybe training too.

Originally posted by George Graham:

Please no more layers of variables- SI have enough to cope with as it is.

Anyway mental state is catered for by the happiness panel under personal.

oops sorry I see youve mentioned this!

But really- SI should sort out what we have before adding anymore layers.

Confidence is inherently part of morale. They are not essentially two different things. Morale is belief in the ability to achieve a goal. If a person has high morale they have confidence in what they are doing. There's different layers to it depending on the context but if you have a look in the changelist there is a clue to morale and confidence and it's impact on the match engine:-

- Players with long shots set to often, or with long shots PPM, now more willing to do so in good positions subject to morale

On the happiness note I'd like to see an arrow like morale rather than a text description.

Guest arrogantio
Originally posted by isuckatfm:

Confidence is inherently part of morale. They are not essentially two different things. Morale is belief in the ability to achieve a goal. If a person has high morale they have confidence in what they are doing. There's different layers to it depending on the context but if you have a look in the changelist there is a clue to morale and confidence and it's impact on the match engine:-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">- Players with long shots set to often, or with long shots PPM, now more willing to do so in good positions subject to morale

On the happiness note I'd like to see an arrow like morale rather than a text description. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I would argue that there is a difference - confidence is essentially an individual's belief in his own abilities. Morale is their degree of satisfaction at the way things are panning out.

It is quite possible for a player to be utterly confident in their own form and abilities yet sulking about the situation they find themselves in (e.g. a player wanting to secure a move to a bigger club) or delighted to be given opportunities at a club they love but nervous about the ability to deliver (e.g your average youngster). These impact upon different areas of a player's performance governed by different mental attributes

The former player will have a negative impact on teammates and put in less effort than usual in games but will nevertheless be effective when they do contribute to the game - they might be more inclined towards selfish play

The latter player will try their hardest but be somewhat error prone

Archived