Why an embargo on selling players you've just signed?

Coop

There is nothing in the rules to stop this happening IRL but I suppose it stops cheating. However certain situations should be exceptional.

The only reason I bring it up is because of a player I've signed. Petrucci of Man Utd. After just one league game in his first seaon he demands first team football which I can't give him (he's not good enough yet), so i tried to tell him I'd loan him out. Anyway at the end of the conversation he's demanded a transfer. The problem now of course is that Petrucci is set to stay following his recent arrival. His reluctance to leave following his recent arrival seems to be putting clubs off.

Very strange behaviour.

There isn't? I was under the impression there was a rule that you couldn't immediately sell on a player that you'd signed.

If ever there was a business to illustrate the "rule" that a contract isn't worth the paper it's signed on then football is it, but even in football I didn't think you could sign a player today and sell him on tomorrow.

It's certainly a reasonably long standing rule in FM, if not football, that you can't do it. I know sometimes it's a bit of a grey area between FM and RL, but I'd be surprised if as either a club or a player you could sign a, for argument's sake, 4 year contract and then do a transfer deal a week or month or two later. I thought the contract was binding until at the next transfer window, presumably to take into a account minimum fee deals if nothing else.

[edit] I'm not posting as a statement of "fact", btw. I've made offers to clubs in FM before without realising they'd just signed a player and had the bid accepted but the transfer refused.

I think it is fair enough to have this in the professional leagues, or at least only allow it if the player has requested a transfer. What I don't like is this happening in the semi-pro levels where there is much much more player movement IRL. Many BSS/N teams use 40-50 players a season, andgenerally they move in and out to other clubs at the same level. In one case last season we signed/lost the same player 5 times in a month (released, signed back 3 days later after injuries, moved to another club, re-signed, moved to another club). Nothing approaching this could happen in FM as he wouldn't have ever re-signed, and no other club would have taken him.

I dont read the text in the game as an embargo at all, merely that clubs assume the guy doesn't want to leave you because he has just signed, so they dont bother making an offer, no mention of a rule whatoever.

I agree this is frustrating when a guy you want to keep wants first team football, but it works in other situations.

On a few occasions I have signed guys on frees as backup, and then as the end of August approaches realised I've signed about 5 better people for that position. Even though I haven't ever managed to sell these players, I have managed to get them out on loans with a future fee attached, which is nearly always bid at the end.

So getting these players off the books is still an option, but not a certainty, much like it would be in real life.

My problem with this years FM is that even when 18 yr olds come to me wanting first team football, they never accept me finding a loan deal for them, and always want to leave permanently, every time!

Nice thread, Coop! When I started reading it, you immediately reminded me of a game I'm just playing.

There I am, down in the German 4th tier with a club that expects me to immediately get promoted and there's only one place (1st) to do so. My wage limit isn't the largest, but is among the top five in the league (several reserve teams from Bundesliga clubs notwithstanding). Now, it wouldn't be that difficult under normal circumstances, because with the right tactics one can do a lot and there's always the chance to get a strong and cheap player for a season or two.

For me, the issue are two players who together make more than two thirds of the other starting eleven and their wages are certainly not earned: one is the 5th best central defender and the other is a striker on par with someone I signed on a free transfer for a fifth of his huge wage. Neither of them is willing to terminate the contract and because they both signed shortly before I got my manager job, they won't leave despite clubs being interested in them. Now, not only can't I sign 2 or 3 additional and stronger players to help me in the league, but 5 starters are due a new contract which I can't afford to sign when I'm already at the wage limit :/

There is nothing in the rules to stop this happening IRL but I suppose it stops cheating. However certain situations should be exceptional.

The only reason I bring it up is because of a player I've signed. Petrucci of Man Utd. After just one league game in his first seaon he demands first team football which I can't give him (he's not good enough yet), so i tried to tell him I'd loan him out. Anyway at the end of the conversation he's demanded a transfer. The problem now of course is that Petrucci is set to stay following his recent arrival. His reluctance to leave following his recent arrival seems to be putting clubs off.

Very strange behaviour.

I think the problem is he has already played an official match for you. As far as I know a player can only play for two teams a season (or year).

I am fairly sure the rule is you're not allowed to actually PLAY for more than two clubs a season.

Yes, although there are certain scenarios where the FA bend the rule to it is almost broken. The FA do not count loans lasting 91 days or less as a player signing and playing for a team - although all other clubs in other nations (and FIFA) do class this. Motherwell fell foul to this rule last season, when they tried to sign a player on loan - who had already played for three clubs - and then went on loan again after his transfer was cancelled.

Another example is ofcourse the infamous Bebe of Manchester United. He signed for United only five weeks after joining Vitória de Guimarães.

Bebe was at United for 12 months.

Caicedo in real life is another example. Did well at Levante on loan, so they took advantage of this by paying the small fee to make the move permanent, then selling him to Spartak Moscow straight away for a big profit.

As for in game, it's likely there to stop the practice of signing players on frees and then selling them straight away to make money, which is fair enough. But the game should also recognise when a player wants to leave a club, like the example on the OP.

Archived