A massive step back to re-build my career

jdrawmer

So I have started my first career on FM12 like I always do, which is as Sheffield Wednesday. Now normally, I do this for a couple of seasons, get bored and move on - but this time, i'm more into FM than I have been since CM01/02.

So my season started brightly, with a few decent free signings and a couple of loan signings to bulk up the already adequate squad and give me some flexibility on the wings. I wanted to try a 4-2-3-1 formation with 2 DMs, 2 wingers / inside forwards (depending on style), AMC and lone striker. IT worked great up until the last 13 or so games. I was 3rd in the table, but with 2 games in hand which would have sent me top with just 4 points from them. The problems seemed to start from the reasoning behind my 2 games in hand - a good FA cup run. I'd beaten Man United (albeit a very youthful one)

wed_manu.jpg

And then had 2 very competitive and tight games against Leeds, which I subsequently lost in the replay. Then, this run of results occured.

wed_relegation.jpg

It was awful. I couldn't seem to shake it - I'd been tweaking the tactics ever so slightly throughout the year, but nothing drastic and just couldn't buy a result. In the early stages of the run, I was playing some of the best football I had all season, but then the morale slumped. I tried team meetings, but they couldn't bring the results round. I put it down to losing some of the loan players we started with, and not adequately replacing them, on top of the run of games and possibly too much tinkering.

Anyway, with 3 games left, I was still in the play-offs so at the very least thought I was safe until the end of the season after a play-off attempt and probably sacked afterwards, but typical Milan Mandaric decided enough was enough, and he obviosuly didn't want to risk not even reaching the play-offs. Devastated, I thought to myself "you know what, i'm so into this game, i'm going to carry on the career", which i'm sure many other people have done in the past, but I typically haven't.

So I went on holiday and accepted the first job that came. Barrow came along and offered me £600 a week. I took control of their last game, but they had already been relegated to the Blue Square North.

In pre-season, I tried out different things, brought in a lot of fresh faces and got rid of some of the dead wood and expensive players off the wage bill. I decided to try and get them playing man city style with the front 4 responsible primarily for attacking, and the rest defending and supplying.

barrow_tactics.jpg

I decided to do another first in FM since the new format, and tweak all the individual instructions like I used to in the days of CM. I was sick of using touchline shouts and relying on them actually doing what I wanted them to, when actually they might not have been, so now I just tweak specific sliders when I want something to specifically change.

And what results. 11 games left and i'm sitting pretty at the top of the table. Some of the results have been special, and so have some of the performances.

barrow_league.jpg

My aim is to make Barrow into an established football league club before POSSIBLY moving on to new areas - and I still want to take control of Wednesday at some point in the future to finish off what I started, especially with my tactical overhaul.

Wish me luck!

yeah i'm looking forward to the challenge. In the FA trophy I've had a couple of BSP opposition and managed wins, and i have another coming up in the semi final against high flying fleetwood, so that'll be a great test with current squad.

can't see me having much scope for strengthening but a little here and there and I should fare ok

Well I did manage to win promotion. I was on course, and a good run in the last few games saw me win hte title with a game to spare. With a wage budget that is only the 9th biggest in the BSN, I was actually surprised to go up this season. Alright lined up a couple of really solid signings for the BSP in James O'Connor (ex-Wednesday), and a quality right back. Purposely signed most of my players on 1 year contracts so I should have a lot of options to sort out the squad without having to spend money ending contracts.

Things looking up both for my career and Barrow!

barrow_league_bsn.jpg

Wish me luck!

PS - any better codes for pictures? Just realised how poor that league tables looks with no way to expand?? I don't bother with Photobucket or anything like that because I have my own website so I just upload my photos to there

So my career has now taken a very positive but unexpected turn. I had a news article appear suggesting that Oldham wanted me to replace their last manager, and I subsequently declared my interest. A short time later I was offered the job. From a new position in the Blue Square Premiership to League 2, i've got to be happy with that.

Looks like there's some good players on the books, but some want to leave. Hopefully I can keep them on board and push for promotion this coming season!

Archived