british premier tv money

I am a little confused about tv money in FM2012. Maybe I should have been confused in FM2011 but the game was just giving me less information. I thought that all teams got a flat dollar amount spread out over the whole season, but this year whenever one of my games is on TV I get a message that I will be paid $800,000. Is this a substantive change from last year or is it just the game giving us more information?

Also, is this how it works in real life? I thought all BPL games were on TV. Here in the USA you can see everygame if your TV service carries ESPN, ESPN 2, Fox Soccer Channel, and Fox Soccer Plus. (Some are delayed of course.) And of course the game are available from FOX over the internet. So what does being on TV mean in this context?

Also, I would think the BPL is finanically unbalanced enough without give extra money to the better teams that appear on TV more often--although I am sure Newcastle is liking it this year.

in the premier league every club recieves £40m for tv rights (which is probably what you get on fox and whatever) but then after that if a game is specially moved and becomes a live game then the clubs involved recieve additional payment (the £400k that you've been recieving)

i just have to ask, as i'm wondering...you get 400k for these games? In the Bundesliga it's only 40k, why that difference?

I suppose it depends on the specifics of the TV rights deal agreed between the league and the broadcasters.

By the way, I get £500k in the Premier League, not £400k.

As far as I understand it, the TV rights package in the UK relates to live, replay, highlight and international broadcasting of the matches. Given that the Premier League is one of (if not the) most-watched leagues in the world, the bidding has got quite stupid. The current deal is for £1.3bn (and that's European billion, not US billion) over three seasons, which is shared between the 20 clubs reasonably equally (http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/oct/12/football-broadcasting-deal-liverpool?intcmp=239).

However, as has been stated, I believe there's an additional payment if a match is moved to be shown live, which appears to be around £400-500k. Because matches involving bigger teams are more likely to have more demand and thus be shown live, they probably do get these payments more often. If you think this is unfair, it's worth noting that it's infinitely fairer than what Liverpool are trying to pull at the moment. They want individual clubs to have bargaining power, so that the big clubs get a bigger slice of the pie- the argument being that there's international demand for Liverpool/Chelsea/Man Utd/Arsenal matches but not so much for Stoke vs. Wigan or Blackburn vs. QPR. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/11/liverpool-breakaway-tv-deal)

With regards to the Bundesliga comparison, I would imagine there's quite a substantial difference in the size of the overall deal, particularly when thinking about the international markets. I don't believe the money being thrown around in the Bundesliga is anything like the money in the Premier League.

So those would be, from an american perspective, the early morning saturday games and the monday afternoon games and, maybe, the sunday morning games--when they aren't caused by the Europa League?

Yeah would most likely be the 12.45/1.00 satuday morning kick offs, 5.30 saturday afternoons, sunday non europa league games and the monday night games, simarly on the traditional boxing day games there are usually 5 or 6 live games and these also recieve the £400k

footnote: british premier league isn't totally incorrect as their are welsh clubs in our league

So basically the 'facility fees' is the only difference between the clubs with regards to TV rights, and this is the payment received for taking part in a match which is shown in live TV in the UK. The 'Merit Payment' is basically the final position bonus payment (starts at £800,000 for 20th and increases by £800,000 per position).

The difference between the EPL and the Bunesliga is that whilst the payment for the final position standings in the Bundesliga is actually higher, the overall TV rights deal is much less, so the payment per live game as well as the amount shared between the clubs throughout the season is much less.

bundesliga clubs get way more from both sponsorship money and prize money than premier league clubs, bayern munich make £60m a year from sponsorship alone and £26.3 (i think) for winning the league, thats already over £80m plus theres champions league money as well which makes the bundesliga one of the more profitable leagues, hence why dortmund can get away with having that huge 80,00 seater stadium

bundesliga clubs get way more from both sponsorship money and prize money than premier league clubs, bayern munich make £60m a year from sponsorship alone and £26.3 (i think) for winning the league, thats already over £80m plus theres champions league money as well which makes the bundesliga one of the more profitable leagues, hence why dortmund can get away with having that huge 80,00 seater stadium

Don't equate Bayern with the rest of the Bundesliga: their sponsorship revenue dwarfs all the other clubs, including Dortmund. They're the only club which can compete on a more or less equal financial footing with their counterparts in England, Spain and Italy. Schalke tried to an extent and have struggled financially because of it, as did Dortmund until fairly recently.

Lawlore is essentially correct.

footnote: british premier league isn't totally incorrect as their are welsh clubs in our league

Yes it is, on three counts.

1) Britain is not England and Wales. Nobody ever talks about the British cricket team, and that team do not play matches in Scotland.

2) The Welsh teams are merely members of the English league, their presence does not change the nationality of the league, which is why Spain isn't called "Spain and Andorra" by UEFA, France isn't called "France and Monaco", Italy isn't called "Italy and San Marino", and Switzerland isn't called "Switzerland and Liechtenstein".

3) It isn't called the British Premier League, nor the English Premier League. It is properly known as the Barclays Premier League, though not adding "Barclays" is perfectly acceptable and "EPL" is common to avoid confusion with the SPL.

Bayern make that sponsorship through various deals that have nothing to do with the Bundesliga or other Bundesliga clubs though. As I explained in my previous post, the Bundesliga does pay more in terms of prize money per position, but the TV money per game and over the course of the season is significantly less than the EPL.

As for Dortmund being able to 'get away with' having an 80,000 capacity stadium, I'm not really sure what you are insinuating. They have a large fan base, have expanded the stadium and are able to fill it. Not sure exactly what they are 'getting away with' to be quite honest.

this is a real issue. Im playing as reading & managed to get promoted expecting to receive EPL tv money. All i received was 1 mill for playing two televised mathces. I have thoroughly been through my finances & there is no othe significant influx of cash to represent my flat rate tv rights money. Its seriously p**ing me off as my wage budget has remained at 200k & im 8million after season two because we start the game serivicing a nearly 400k a month debt. My highest earner is german denis on 15k a week so im not exactly spending loads but at this rate we cannot survive. What makes it worse is fellow promoted teams like bristol city pay wages in excess of 20k make signings in excess of 2-3mill but yet manage to stay afloat. WTF

Im in the EPL so surely i should be getting more than 1 mill a year. Is this a bug or am i missing something.

this is a real issue. Im playing as reading & managed to get promoted expecting to receive EPL tv money. All i received was 1 mill for playing two televised mathces. I have thoroughly been through my finances & there is no othe significant influx of cash to represent my flat rate tv rights money. Its seriously p**ing me off as my wage budget has remained at 200k & im 8million after season two because we start the game serivicing a nearly 400k a month debt. My highest earner is german denis on 15k a week so im not exactly spending loads but at this rate we cannot survive. What makes it worse is fellow promoted teams like bristol city pay wages in excess of 20k make signings in excess of 2-3mill but yet manage to stay afloat. WTF

Im in the EPL so surely i should be getting more than 1 mill a year. Is this a bug or am i missing something.

By significant influx, how much do you mean. The TV money is spread over the season so you are looking at £3-4m a month, rather than £40m at the start of the season.

no im looking at 2-3 televised matches in the year each giving me 500k. so in total 1 to 1.5 million pounds a YEAR. The rest of my income is gate receipts, player sales etc.. no other income hence why im haemorrhaging cash despite not spending much at all

I think, in real life, the minimum amount of times a club has to be on TV is 10 (look at the graph posted above). Obviously some clubs are on more often, so do get more money because of that. I'm not sure if that is accurately reflected in the game (ie a teams minimum amount of times on TV) though...?

However you should still be getting £40m a season in TV revenue as well as your one off 'match on TV' money. As I said check in your season income, it should show you there.

Interesting reading. Obviously this doesn't include FA/Carling/Champions League/Europa League payouts, i'd wanna see them all combined. Where did you find this??

That looks very much like one of the charts used by Swiss Ramble to illustrate his blog posts. I HIGHLY recommend Swiss Ramble for anyone interested in the financial side of football, it is an excellent read.

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/

Interesting reading. Obviously this doesn't include FA/Carling/Champions League/Europa League payouts, i'd wanna see them all combined. Where did you find this??

Im pretty sure this is from swiss ramble, a very good and reputeable football financial blog, its info is often used on goal.com and other major football new outlet.

Edit: lol im 3 min late.

Finally found out the issue. Reading manager john madjeski signed a three yeat private tv deal whilst we where in the championship for 550k a year. Unfortunately once we got promoted this deal seemed to superseed the premier league tv deal (hence no tv money). In reality though we would buy out of the private deal with a fraction of the income we would generate from the premiership deal. So i had to search for an in game editor to award myself at least 70% of the income we lost for the last season. It was very fun having to be meticulous with resources (ie agent fees, contracts, yearly wage rises, appearance fees, etc..) but annoying because i noticed this in mid august and missed loads of transfer targets during the window

This is surely something SI need to take a look at.

Finally found out the issue. Reading manager john madjeski signed a three yeat private tv deal whilst we where in the championship for 550k a year. Unfortunately once we got promoted this deal seemed to superseed the premier league tv deal (hence no tv money). In reality though we would buy out of the private deal with a fraction of the income we would generate from the premiership deal. So i had to search for an in game editor to award myself at least 70% of the income we lost for the last season. It was very fun having to be meticulous with resources (ie agent fees, contracts, yearly wage rises, appearance fees, etc..) but annoying because i noticed this in mid august and missed loads of transfer targets during the window

This is surely something SI need to take a look at.

Just to clarify for any future posters, he means Reading chairman John Madejski.

That's crazy :D Reading's Championship matches aren't worth £550k over three years to anyone, and besides which the rights aren't Madejski's to sign away. Major bug here- have you raised it in the bugs forum?

apologies i meant chairman madejski.

I know right 550k a year is a joke, why even bother. I played an entire season in the EPL making monthly losses to the extent the fans organised a board room take over. They got rid of madejski and took out a 10 million pound loan to pay for my debts. There i was thinking the revenue might get paid at the end of the season. Ive found an in game editor FMRTE and removed this contract & suprise suprise we are getting the correct revenue coming in.

Archived