How to take advantage of opponent player sent off?

What should you do if your opponent gets one or more players sent off?

Maybe increase tempo and shorten passing?

Depends what your teams strengths are. I like to tell them to keep the ball and exploit either the flanks or centre, wherever their side has been weakened. You can also switch to "control" if you are 1-0 up and want to see the game out or "attacking" if you wish to score a goal while your opponent is down to 10 men.

I also tend to push extra players up front the longer the game goes on staying level, I just don't like not taking advantage of these situations.

retain possession, widen the game a bit and i actually slow the tempo down a bit, i found that throwning everything forward when the opp is down a man was counter productive, they would shut up shop and my team would be charging forward basically over crowding the opp box area. Best bet is to try and draw them out and find a gap, that has to be done through patience not from throwing everything forward as quick as possible. If that doesnt work i also try dropping the defensive line a bit deeper and try and create more space in the middle for my more creative players.

It's all about patience when they're down to 10 men.

If you push them, you might break through, but you're more likely to get caught out yourselves.

Ideal way is to spread the play around and make them run till they tire.

Slow down the team and adopt short passing.

Creating triangles in your team (DC DC DM for example) also means you're more likely to retain possession as there's more chance of someone being without pressure.

i tend to play a more attacking formation. change from a flat 442 or 4411 to a 4231 with 1 striker and two inside forwards along with another player just behind the striker.

it means the players are up the field anyway rather than making them tired by forcing them to run forward more or play a more direct game.

It largely depends. Most of the time, when this happens against me, they play one up front in a 4-4-1, so I sometimes drop my defence a lot deeper to force the isolation of the striker and to create more space (my full-backs then get full freedom to run with the ball, and one of my centre-backs gets to roam further forward). I usually play wider unless I feel they are playing too wide to work a 4-4-1, in which case I try to get 3-on-2 or 2-on-1 situations at the back and ignore their flanks.

If they switch to a 4-3-2, usually I stick to the same set of tactics but try to isolate the full-backs as they are the only source of width.

Often, though, I change very little just to see if my current set of tactics works well anyway. Usually, I never have to make drastic changes.

When things get drastic against weaker sides who have parked the bus and then some in goal, sometimes I just go 2 at the back. :)

Archived