aplomb

Some people like throwing in less common words when they have an audience. And to be fair, sometimes the words actually better describe what they are trying to express than a more common alternative. As a rule, nothing wrong with having and using a wide vocabulary.

Come on chaps; if you use a perfectly ordinary word like 'aplomb' & someone has to better him(her)self by checking the word out in the dictionary, than I say the game suddenly assumes an unlooked for higher level.

Let's not dumb-down!

I would expect those commentating on a game or reporting on a game in real life to have a good command of English and to use it well. Therefore I expect FM to be the same (for realism purposes!) heaven forbid if MOTD suddenly employed Dave Bassett or some market greengrocer soundalike, or even worse in that "you know that blood" accent everywhere in UK currently!!!!! I think nowadays most pundits/commentators/reporters sound at least educated (the more educated footballers anyway!), as even when they spout absolute nonsense they can still give the impression that they know what they are talking about!

I would expect those commentating on a game or reporting on a game in real life to have a good command of English and to use it well. Therefore I expect FM to be the same (for realism purposes!) heaven forbid if MOTD suddenly employed Dave Bassett or some market greengrocer soundalike, or even worse in that "you know that blood" accent everywhere in UK currently!!!!! I think nowadays most pundits/commentators/reporters sound at least educated (the more educated footballers anyway!), as even when they spout absolute nonsense they can still give the impression that they know what they are talking about!

Makes you wnder why Sky employs Gary Neville to be honest. His auto-biography reads like a yr6 English story. :p

I don't mind the 'fancy' words. I do talk in a slightly 'wordy' way at times, but either way suits me.

However, Ron Atkinson is proof of how poor syntax can influence a generation. How often have you, or someone you know, or someone you saw on the telly use Ronglish?

Tell you what, he's done well there.

If we can just nick a goal early doors, that'll settle the nerves.

They're scoring for fun at the moment.

He's big, he's strong, he's quick.

That's a hollywood ball from the winger.

Hollywood save from Big Nev there.

Bouldy's given it the little eyebrows at the first post and Big Tone's come steaming in at the second post to put it full gun into the back of the net.

Granted, not all of these are true Ronglish creations, but you couldn't beat Big Ron for some entertaining yet completely duff commentary.

Spotters badge for Coley there. He's played a great change ball and squared it for Yorke who just wasn't in the wide awake club. He's playing from amnesia this lad and he'll be getting the curly finger treatment if he's not careful

Archived