major issue with steam

I can no longer log in to steam due to it saying i have been logged into another machine recently (i haven't) so i assume my account has been hacked or something, anyway the email adress i registered with steam back in 2008 is no longer active so there is no chance of a password change, does this mean I have to purchase the game again?!

As has been said before, get in touch with steam.

I had my account hacked a few years ago, back when I was stupid and used simple passwords. I got in touch with steam, they asked me to ring them, got me to confirm a few basic details over the phone, and reset my password, removed the bans that the guy that hacked my account had got placed on it (he got caught cheating in several games) and it was all mine again.

Were you signed up to the steam forums with same user name and password?

Steam forums been hacked apparently. So if you have that may be where your account has gone.

It was just a moderators account that was hacked according to Valve. They haven't got into the "database." They probably won't be able to find your user/pass.

It was just a moderators account that was hacked according to Valve. They haven't got into the "database." They probably won't be able to find your user/pass.
They changed the layout and text of the forum... I think it's safe to say the hackers managed to compromise something beyond a moderator's account (it looks like they've managed to mess around with the vBulletin Administrator Control Panel - moderators don't have this ability)... And compromising the database isn't out of the question (depending on what is installed, the vBulletin Administrator Control Panel can bring down an entire forum quite quickly).

See the screenshot here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-07-why-are-the-steam-forums-offline

I had my account hacked a few years ago, back when I was stupid and used simple passwords. I got in touch with steam, they asked me to ring them, got me to confirm a few basic details over the phone, and reset my password, removed the bans that the guy that hacked my account had got placed on it (he got caught cheating in several games) and it was all mine again.

What's Steam's phone number? I've seen some reports that they can't be contacted by phone!

Any chance of this phone number? :)

You really should have Steam Guard active! And of course your password should be different from your email password.

If this is to help me then cheers, but I didn't take up the offer to add a third party's software to my computer just to play a game. I would just like this phone number to be made available to those who need it.

EDIT: Thanks Milnerpoint, how do you know he is banned?

But back to the real question, do you know this phone number? You must be able to report in sick somehow. ;)

Seriously though, credit for the change in your approach since your own Steam hiccup. :)

Archived