The Future Starts Here

gandycoleuk

After my rather rushed career update of Manchester United on FM11, I have decided to run a game on FM12 for the same club. I have the English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, German, Portuguese, French and Scottish leagues running with a large database.

Introduction

Founded in 1878, Manchester United are a professional English club currently playing in the English Premier League. The club play their home games at Old Trafford and possess state of the art training and youth facilities. The Manchester United reserve team play at Moss Lane. The club also has excellent junior coaching and an entensive youth recruitment network. The club is affectionately known as the Red Devils and retains a fierce rivalry with Liverpool, Manchester City and Leeds United.

Having enjoyed their greatest spell of success during the 1990s, The Red Devils are undoubtedly one of the most successful clubs in England. Boasting a proud total of 59 competitive trophies, here are some of the highlights: Manchester United won the Champions League in 1968, 1999 and 2008 and finished runners-up on another two occasions, won English Football's top division a record 19 times and the FA Cup a record 11 times.

My challenge now is to continue this success following Sir Alex's sudden retirement from the game. No pressure now . . .

Board Expectations - 2011-2012

Premier League - Title Challenge

Champions League - Final Appearance

FA Cup - Final Appearance

Carling Cup - Not a Priority

Community Shield - Not a Priority

Budgets

Transfer Budget - £17m

Wage Budget - £1.6 per week

Squad

My only rule when playing with United is I don't buy any major players in the 1st season, preferring to bring in young players with potential. Therefore, here is my squad for the 2011-2012 season:

Goalkeepers

1. David De Gea

29. Tomasz Kuszczak

34. Anders Lindegaard

Defenders

3. Patrice Evra

4. Phil Jones

5. Rio Ferdinand

6. Jonny Evans

12. Chris Smalling

15. Nemanja Vidic

20. Fabio

21. Rafael

Midfielders

8. Anderson

11. Ryan Giggs

13. Park Ji-Sung

16. Michael Carrick

17. Nani

18. Ashley Young

23. Tom Cleverley

24. Darren Fletcher

25. Antonio Valencia

Strikers

7. Michael Owen

9. Dimitar Berbatov

10. Wayne Rooney

14. Chicharito

19. Danny Welbeck

Manager's Thoughts

I felt that the squad was very strong in all areas, particularly in central defence and attack. There is great competition at right-back and on both wings. I think it is very capable of challenging in all competitions and possibly winning the Premier League crown for a record 20th time.

You should set yourself a rule like not being able to buy over 23s or something or not being able to play over 25s, make it more youth orientated ;). Look forward to reading!

I agree with making a rule, I have a personal rule where I have to at least break-even with the transfers so you can only spend what you receive for players. Then you can't do a Manchester United in real life and let all the older players retire and replace them with new ones. Makes the game more interesting and slightly more difficult :D

Cheers for all the good luck messages guys, will hopefully be starting the new season soon enough. :)

Pre-Season - 2011-2012

I have just concluded my first pre-season in my reign at Old Trafford and the players got valuable minutes under their belt with mixed results:

Brighton 1-3 Man Utd

Hibernian 2-1 Man Utd

Bordeaux 0-1 Man Utd

Man Utd 5-0 Corinthians

Antwerp 1-1 Man Utd

Manager's Thoughts

I think the players' fitness was more important than the results as it is what pre-season is all about - thankfully not many injuries came out of it too with just Phil Jones picking up a knock. I can now move on to the real crunch in August beginning with Community Shield in over a week's time.

As of this moment, I have not made any signings but will surely have something rustled up by the end of the summer transfer window.

Season 2011-2012 - August

Sunday 7th August 2011 - Community Shield

Man Utd vs Man City

It was the curtain-raiser for the new season at Wembley and City were ahead early thanks to Kompany's near post header and they controlled the first half and could have added more. Vidic was also sent off for two yellow cards which made our task even more difficult. But we were much improved after the break and late on, Cleverley came off the bench to equalise. The game went to penalties where both sides were guilty of misses until Evra's rugby like conversion was the costly miss and Richards finished the shootout off.

Final Score - Man Utd 1-1 Man City (Man City win 4-3 on pens)

Goals - Kompany (13) ; Cleverley (75)

Saturday 13th August 2011 - Premier League Match 1

Man Utd vs Stoke

The new season was underway at Old Trafford and the visitors shocked us when Crouch scored early on. From then it was all United and shortly before the interval, we had turned it around with goals from Chicharito and Rooney. Rooney added a third goal minutes after the break and a scramble infront of goal ended with Begovic inadvertently scoring a fourth goal to complete a resounding win.

Final Score - Man Utd 4-1 Stoke

Goals - Chicharito (38), Rooney (45+2, 56), Begovic og (77) ; Crouch (6)

League Position - 2nd

Saturday 20th August 2011 - Premier League Match 2

QPR vs Man Utd

The first game back in the big time for the hosts as the champions made the first visit. It all started very nicely for us as well as Ferdinand sent a great header into the far corner and later on in the half, Rooney powered in a second goal. Anton Ferdinand was sent off before the break for two bookings. Shortly after the break, Bothroyd produced a cracker to give the Rangers great hope. That hope was extinguished by Chicharito's cool finish midway through the second half and the three points were secure.

Final Score - QPR 1-3 Man Utd

Goals - Bothroyd (50) ; Ferdinand (3), Rooney (34), Chicharito (69)

League Position - 1st

Saturday 21st August 2011 - Premier League Match 3

Man Utd vs Aston Villa

It was a fairly quiet start to the match at Old Trafford but as soon as Ferdinand had scored a remarkable long range effort, the floodgates opened. The rest of the half saw Young, Nani and Rooney bang another three goals past Given. Straight after the restart, Rooney chipped in his second goal and also missed his hat-trick chance after missing a penalty. Minutes before the end, Heskey denied us our first clean sheet of the season with a bullet header.

Final Score - Man Utd 5-1 Aston Villa

Goals - Ferdinand (27), Young (32), Nani (35), Rooney (38, 46) ; Heskey (88)

League Position - 1st

Manager's Thoughts

The Community Shield is usually just another friendly before the start of the new season but this was different against our local rivals. Unfortunately, penalties were our undoing. We bounced back in the League though coming from behind to comfortably defeat Stoke. QPR was a difficult game on paper but my players stepped up to the mark very well and then completely destroyed Aston Villa at Old Trafford to finish the month top of the table. The only black mark on the month was the torn hamstring injury suffered by Evra which will rule him out for upto 3 months.

Summer Transfer Window - 2011-2012

As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I refrain from buying major players in the 1st season who can fit straight into the squad. I prefer to snap up some promising youngsters instead. Here are my dealings before the end of August:

Out

There were no permanent departures from the club, only loan departures including the likes of Pogba, Tunnicliffe, Brady, De Laet and Will Keane.

In

Oliver Markoutz from FC Bayern - £1.7m - a young Austrian wideman with a bit of pace on him. Highly coveted talent at Bayern and has the potential to fight it out with Young and Nani in the future.

Yaya Sanogo from Auxerre - £2.6m - a young French striker with a lot of threat in the air and on the ground too. Fans from his old club clearly his potential so this could be a very good capture for the club.

Lorenzo Crisetig from Inter - £575k - a young Italian defensive midfielder who is very much a team player when going about his work. Has the potential to be the next Daniele De Rossi so this could be a very good buy in the future.

Season 2011-2012 - September

Saturday 10th September 2011 - Premier League Match 4

Blackburn vs Man Utd

The international break was over at Ewood Park and it was a very bright start by the hosts. Against the run of play though, Rooney converted Chicharito's cross. Pedersen responded for Rovers with a cracking effort off the bar. It was very much even until before the interval when Rooney smashed in his second goal. In the second half, we were much more professional in denying our opponents many more chances and Rooney completed his hat-trick at the end to clinch the three points.

Final Score - Blackburn 1-3 Man Utd

Goals - Pedersen (26) ; Rooney (18, 44, 90)

League Position - 1st

Tuesday 13th September 2011 - Champions League Group Match 1

Man Utd vs Lyon

The Champions League was back for the new season at Old Trafford. The first half was dominated by us and just before the break, Rooney eventually grabbed the goal after seeing Lloris pull off two great saves from him and Nani. And just before the hour mark, Rooney scored his second when Chicharito had two powerful strikes beaten away by the helpless Lloris. The only blot on the copybook was Chicharito going off injured.

Final Score - Man Utd 2-0 Lyon

Goals - Rooney (44, 59)

Group Position - 2nd

Wednesday 21st September 2011 - Carling Cup 3rd Round

Stoke vs Man Utd

This was always going be a very tough assignment at the Britannia so I only rested Ferdinand and Giggs with the rest of the XI being full strength. We were very unlucky in normal time as we struck the woodwork three times even with Nani being sent off but Stoke survived all the way through to penalties. At the end, it was Shawcross who missed the crucial spot-kick and my players were through to the 4th Round.

Final Score - Stoke 0-0 Man Utd (Man Utd win 6-5 on pens)

Saturday 24th September 2011 - Premier League Match 5

Man Utd vs Liverpool

The biggest game of this or any season took place at Old Trafford. After very much an even start to proceedings, it was United who took the lead when Rooney played a neat one-two with Berbatov to score. But Liverpool hit back on the half-hour when Carroll bundled home after De Gea's weak punch. Just before half-time, United regained the lead when Rooney raced through to fire into the far corner for his second goal. In the second half, the players kept their discipline much better than Liverpool and the visitors' afternoon got worse when Suarez was dismissed before the end.

Final Score - Man Utd 2-1 Liverpool

Goals - Rooney (21, 45+1) ; Carroll (31)

League Position - 1st

Wednesday 28th September 2011 - Champions League Group Match 2

Litex vs Man Utd

It was a trip into the unknown for the boys in Bulgaria. United were in control from the beginning and they capped their start off with a fine chip from that man Rooney once again. This was very comfortable for the players as they professionally went about their job for the rest of the evening. The win was clinched when Giggs struck a fine long range freekick past the keeper at his near post.

Final Score - Litex 0-2 Man Utd

Goals - Rooney (17), Giggs (77)

Group Position - 1st

Manager's Thoughts

The international break was over and the players carried on where they left off with a thoroughly professional display at Blackburn before recording our first clean sheet of the season with a great result against our direct group rivals. The Stoke tie was very tough and dogged but we had the luck in the penalty shoot-out this time after the Community Shield defeat. It was a fantastic feeling to beat our arch rivals so early in the season and Rooney was once again at the heart of everything we did this month. The month was finished off nicely with another win and clean sheet in Bulgaria. Chicharito's injury against Lyon ruling him out for around 5 weeks was the only negative from the month.

Season 2011-2012 - October

Saturday 1st October 2011 - Premier League Match 6

Newcastle vs Man Utd

The international break was almost upon us and Rooney continued his red hot start to the season by picking up the loose ball and firing into the far corner. The boys controlled the first half without really threatening a second goal. Minutes into the second half, Rafael was penalised and Cabaye slotted away the spot-kick to level. After that, the game went back and forth but it ended in a stalemate.

Final Score - Newcastle 1-1 Man Utd

Goals - Cabaye (pen 53) ; Rooney (22)

League Position - 2nd

Saturday 15th October 2011 - Premier League Match 7

Man Utd vs Bolton

The players were back after the international break and they laid into Bolton in the first half hour, with both Rooney and Berbatov on target. Just moments before the interval, Giggs' cross was put into his own net by Robinson under pressure from Young. The boys took their time more professionally in the second half as the three points were already secured and Giggs finished off the scoring late on with a towering header.

Final Score - Man Utd 4-0 Bolton

Rooney (4), Berbatov (25), Robinson og (45+2), Giggs (87)

League Position - 2nd

Wednesday 19th October 2011 - Champions League Group Match 3

Olympiakos vs Man Utd

It was a very even start to the match in Greece but it was United who broke the deadlock late in the opening period thanks to Rooney's dubious penalty. Into the second half and Fletcher was sent off for a two footed lunge and suddenly, we were under severe pressure. But the defence were resilient and didn't give in as their hard work was rewarded at the end on the counter as Rooney slotted into the bottom corner for his second goal.

Final Score - Olympiakos 0-2 Man Utd

Goals - Rooney (pen 38, 90)

Group Position - 1st

Sunday 23rd October 2011 - Premier League Match 8

Fulham vs Man Utd

It was likely to be a tough game at high-flying Fulham. Early on, Rooney raced through to bend the ball past Schwarzer only for Dempsey to produce a thunderbolt straight from the restart. Our lead was quickly restored when Chicharito coolly converted Rooney's through pass. Late in the first half, Chicharito returned the favour for Rooney smash home. In the second half, it was very dull as Fulham tried gamely to get back but Young stopped that with a fantastic goal. Dempsey grabbed a consolation minutes later but United kept marching on.

Final Score - Fulham 2-4 Man Utd

Goals - Dempsey (8, 78) ; Rooney (7, 37), Chicharito (15), Young (74)

League Position - 1st

Wednesday 26th October 2011 - Carling Cup 4th Round

Man Utd vs QPR

This game saw some fringe players get the chance to impress at Old Trafford. Unfortunately, the chances being created were being wasted time and time again. The game actually went into extra-time where substitute Chicharito almost immediately grabbed a typical poacher's goal. The goal was enough to send us through the quarter-finals.

Final Score - Man Utd 1-0 QPR

Goals - Chicharito (92)

Saturday 29th October 2011 - Premier League Match 9

Man Utd vs Swansea

The first half of this match was one way traffic as we created enough chances to win three games on its own but found Vorm in inspired form. The deadlock was broken though on half-time when Nani fired past Vorm at his near post. In the second half, Swansea came into the game a bit more and should have levelled but Graham shot straight at De Gea and their hopes disappeared there and then.

Final Score - Man Utd 1-0 Swansea

Goals - Nani (45+1)

League Position - 1st

Manager's Thoughts

After dominating early on Newcastle, it was very sloppy to drop points before the internationals. The boys' reaction after the break was great though as Bolton were destroyed and then Olympiakos was successfully negotiated with 10 men. It was an exciting game at Craven Cottage which the players thankfully won. The Carling Cup game was always going to be hard as QPR defended manfully but Chicharito popped up at the right moment. The Swansea game was quite frustrating as although we won, we wasted too many chances and against better sides, we could come unstuck. Ferdinand's broken arm injury against Fulham ruling him out for 6 weeks was bad news at the end of a otherwise good month again.

Season 2011-2012 - November

Tuesday 1st November 2011 - Champions League Group Match 4

Man Utd vs Olympiakos

It was a very bright start from the visitors as United attempted to qualify for the knockout stages. Late in the first half, Nani opened the scoring with a thunderbolt from around 30 yards. The turning point came though in the second half when Mirallas was sent off for a two-footed lunge and after that, the floodgates opened as Chicharito, Rooney, Vidic and substitute Park all netted to ensure qualification from the group stages.

Final Score - Man Utd 5-0 Olympiakos

Goals - Nani (35), Chicharito (56), Rooney (59), Vidic (81), Park (85)

Group Position - 1st

Saturday 5th November 2011 - Premier League Match 10

Norwich vs Man Utd

The opening half was controlled for the most part by the visitors but could not create a clear cut chance to break the deadlock. Minutes after the interval, Giggs' dangerous cross was slammed home by Chicharito. Giggs then made the most of some slack Norwich defending by setting up Rooney fire into the bottom corner and Rooney scored his second and United's third after the restart by smashing home from close range.

Final Score - Norwich 0-3 Man Utd

Goals - Chicharito (52), Rooney (67, 69)

League Position - 1st

Wednesday 9th November 2011 - Premier League Match 11

Tottenham vs Man Utd

This would be the toughest game so far this season for the players. It was an even start with the hosts being real threats at set-pieces but midway through the first half, Rooney pounced on a loose ball to fire past Gomes at his near post. Both sides went close for the rest of the opening period without scoring. Into the second half and De Gea was inspired form, denying Spurs from point blank range twice and this set up Rooney to secure a big three points late on.

Final Score - Tottenham 0-2 Man Utd

Goals - Rooney (20, 87)

League Position - 1st

Saturday 19th November 2011 - Premier League Match 12

Man Utd vs Chelsea

The international break could not have ended at a better time with Chelsea visiting Old Trafford. A bright beginning from the boys was interrupted by a serious looking injury to Rooney. Initially the sudden change didnt disrupt United as they controlled the half against the visitors but before half-time, Evans turned in Mata's cross-cum-shot. Terry then doubled the misery for us early in the second half. Substitute Berbatov smashed in a goal to give the team hope but it wasn't enough as Chelsea held on to record United's first league defeat.

Final Score - Man Utd 1-2 Chelsea

Goals - Berbatov (73) ; Evans og (45), Terry (53)

League Position - 1st

Wednesday 23rd November 2011 - Champions League Group Match 5

Lyon vs Man Utd

With qualification for the knockout stages already assured, it was a chance for the fringe players to stake a claim. After a good start by Lyon, the players opened the scoring when Valencia headed in Berbatov's cross. Lyon were level moments later when Gourcuff's corner was blasted home on the volley by Kallstrom. The players played better after the interval and managed to force in a winner when Berbatov converted Valencia's wicked ball.

Final Score - Lyon 1-2 Man Utd

Goals - Kallstrom (33) ; Valencia (31), Berbatov (70)

Group Position - 1st

Saturday 26th November 2011 - Premier League Match 13

West Brom vs Man Utd

The first league match since the Chelsea loss took place at the Hawthorns. A bright start from United was capped off when Nani sent a rocket for an effort into the top corner and Vidic soon doubled the advantage with a glancing header. The game then got interesting as Young as given his marching orders and Morrison finished a top move from the hosts to set the second half up. But Chicharito scored in stoppage time before the break to ease the pressure and Valencia ruthlessly fired home early in the second half.

Final Score - West Brom 1-4 Man Utd

Goals - Morrison (45) ; Nani (17), Vidic (26), Chicharito (45+1), Valencia (48)

League Position - 1st

Tuesday 29th November 2011 - Carling Cup Quarter Final

Man Utd vs Bolton

It was again a great chance for the back-up players to impress myself and a semi-final place was incentive enough. Seconds into the game, Park followed up Welbeck's shot to break the deadlock early and Smalling headed in a second before the half hour mark. The players were dominant in the second period as well and Berbatov and Welbeck both scored tap-ins to clinch a resounding victory over our rivals.

Final Score - Man Utd 4-0 Bolton

Goals - Park (1), Smalling (27), Berbatov (83), Welbeck (87)

Manager's Thoughts

I was impressed with my team's ruthlessness in front of goal against Olympiakos after their red card and also very pleased we exploited Norwich's hesitance in their defending at Carrow Road. Going to Tottenham and coming away with a result like that was fantastic but our luck deserted us in the crunch battle with Chelsea. Rooney was ruled out for around 4 months after his injury. Was satisfied to secure the winning of the group in our toughest tie in France before bouncing back in style with 10 men at West Brom. The result against Bolton was great for confidence for the whole squad to take into December and also the reaction to the loss against Chelsea was very good.

Season 2011-2012 - December

Saturday 3rd December 2011 - Premier League Match 14

Man Utd vs Man City

This would be the test to see whether the players could bounce back from the Chelsea defeat. It was a very open first half as both sides went close to breaking the deadlock. The second half was more tense and just past the hour mark, Valencia's corner was headed firmly home by Vidic. After the goal, the visitors tried to hit back but the defence held out for a valuable three points.

Final Score - Man Utd 1-0 Man City

Goals - Vidic (62)

League Position - 1st

Tuesday 6th December 2011 - Champions League Group Match 6

Man Utd vs Litex

It was a chance for the fringe players to stake a claim for a regular first team place. The match had that dead rubber feel about it until Josse was dismissed for a dangerous lunge on Valencia and from there, the boys filled their boots. Anderson converted a penalty and then Valencia fired into the far corner before half-time. Minutes after the break, Welbeck and Smalling both applied smart finishes before a freak own goal from Minchev rubbed salt into the wounds. Sanogo finished things late on in the match to complete a comprehensive victory.

Final Score - Man Utd 6-0 Litex

Goals - Anderson (pen 36), Valencia (44), Welbeck (50), Smalling (56), Minchev og (69), Sanogo (83)

Group Position - 1st

Sunday 11th December 2011 - Premier League Match 15

Arsenal vs Man Utd

It was another very difficult assignment ahead for my troops at the Emirates. It was a bright opening period from both sides as they forced Szczesny and De Gea into top class saves. Midway through the second period, United made the breakthrough when Chicharito smashed in Nani's great pass. The goal brought Arsenal into action but they were always vulnerable to the counter-attack and the visitors sealed another big result when Valencia firmly headed into the roof of the net.

Final Score - Arsenal 0-2 Man Utd

Goals - Chicharito (66), Valencia (88)

League Position - 1st

Saturday 17th December 2011 - Premier League Match 16

Man Utd vs Everton

It was a very bright start from the hosts as Chicharito struck twice in the first quarter of the game. Everton didn't get a sniff in the first half as United were in full control. The tone of the match didn't change much after the break as Chicharito completed his hat-trick on the hour with a fantastic header into the top corner. The game was certainly over there as United were clearly on a high from their recent results.

Final Score - Man Utd 3-0 Everton

Goals - Chicharito (9, 23, 63)

League Position - 1st

Wednesday 21st December 2011 - Premier League Match 17

Man Utd vs Wigan

The games were coming thick and fast now as Christmas approached Old Trafford. In the first half, it was basically United against Al-Habsi as the Oman international made countless great stops to leave the hosts frustrated. This trend continued in the second period until Chicharito went through to slot past the keeper. The win was completed by two composed finishes from substitute Welbeck.

Final Score - Man Utd 3-0 Wigan

Goals - Chicharito (70), Welbeck (76, 87)

League Position - 1st

Monday 26th December 2011 - Premier League Match 18

Sunderland vs Man Utd

It was time to put the turkey away as we tucked into a battle of the bottom team and the top team in the league. The hosts started really well here and before the half hour, Richardson's well off target effort was sliced into his own net by Ferdinand. Ferdinand's partner at the back Vidic spared his blushes before the interval with a bullet header. The second period saw both sides pretty cancel each other and Fletcher got sent off to sum up our frustrations.

Final Score - Sunderland 1-1 Man Utd

Goals - Ferdinand og (28) ; Vidic (45+2)

League Position - 1st

Saturday 31st December 2011 - Premier League Match 19

Wolves vs Man Utd

The New Year was upon us here in the Midlands. The match actually was very average at the beginning as both sides were feeling each other to be fair. Past the half hour mark though, the scoring was opened as Welbeck pounced on some hesitant defending before running through to smash into the roof of the net. The goal gave United great confidence and near the end of the match, Nani scored a superb freekick past Hennessey at his near post. Foley did score for Wolves in stoppage time but it was too late to save them.

Final Score - Wolves 1-2 Man Utd

Goals - Foley (90+2) ; Welbeck (36), Nani (83)

League Position - 1st

Manager's Thoughts

It was the perfect start to the month as our noisy neighbours were defeated thanks to the captain. The Litex game was nothing more than a dead rubber but it was good to see the ruthless nature of my players as the final score suggested. The players went to the Emirates on a high and came away with an impressive victory and followed it up with an equally impressive result against a normally resolute Everton. It did take a while to break down Wigan but the fact is they were broken down in the end and the scoreline was actually quite flattering for the visitors on that occasion. We didn't really do ourselves justice at Sunderland but they did play well and fully deserved something out of the game. The players did make amends at Wolves and now go into the New Year 9 points clear at the summit of the Premier League.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I need to kick on with this thread now.

abulezz, Rooney's injury was a torn calf muscle which rules him out for 4 months. Here are his stats before the injury, he was absolutely on fire. :D

http://imageshack.us/f/810/waynerooneyjanuary2012h.jpg/

DazRTaylor, it definitely is a little policy I have as well. Unless, an established player comes along for a reasonable price but that's once in a while.

Season 2011-2012 - January

Monday 2nd January 2012 - Premier League Match 20

Stoke vs Man Utd

It was a very bright start from the boys and went twice close to opening the scoring but were denied brilliantly by Sorensen. These saves gave Stoke the platform to take the lead before the break with Jones' header. After the interval, it was all United but couldn't get behind their opponents and Stoke hung on for a priceless victory.

Final Score - Stoke 1-0 Man Utd

Goals - Jones (38)

League Position - 1st

Saturday 7th January 2012 - FA Cup 3rd Round

Man Utd vs Southend

It was time for the world's most romantic cup competition to make the return. And United got off to a fast start with Park, Welbeck and Sanogo all getting on the scoreboard. In the second half, the visitors did start to retain possession much better but were not threatening a goal. This weakness was not apparent with us though as Berbatov completed the scoring late on.

Final Score - Man Utd 4-0 Southend

Goals - Park (12), Welbeck (16), Sanogo (24), Berbatov (71)

Wednesday 11th January 2012 - Carling Cup Semi-Final 1st Leg

Man Utd vs West Ham

The chance to make the season's first major cup final was on the line, starting at Old Trafford. The hosts made a dominant start, creating several chances to break the deadlock but against the run of play, Jantscher gave West Ham the lead. This lead didn't last long after the break though as Anderson and Sanogo turned the scoreline around and the tie was left slightly in United's favour.

Final Score - Man Utd 2-1 West Ham

Goals - Anderson (52), Sanogo (55) ; Jantscher (44)

Saturday 14th January 2012 - Premier League Match 21

Man Utd vs QPR

It was the first chance for the players to bounce back from the surprise reverse at the Britannia. It was a quite start as both sets of players looked like they were testing each other out. Late in the first half, United took charge with Chicharito scoring twice and Nani also netting before the interval. After the interval, Berbatov added two more goals before substitute Welbeck rounded off the scoring to complete a demolition.

Final Score - Man Utd 6-0 QPR

Goals - Chicharito (27, 31), Nani (37), Berbatov (46, 69), Welbeck (85)

League Position - 1st

Saturday 21st January 2012 - Premier League Match 22

Aston Villa vs Man Utd

United started the better side in the early stages but it was all for nothing as Rafael's push on Bannan in the box helped the Scot slot home the resultant spot-kick. For the rest of the half, United applied severe pressure but the hosts were resilient in defence. The second half followed the same pattern until Park smashed home the equaliser. The comeback was complete deep into stoppage time with Berbatov bundling home.

Final Score - Aston Villa 1-2 Man Utd

Goals - Bannan (16) ; Park (81), Berbatov (90+4)

League Position - 1st

Tuesday 24th January 2012 - Carling Cup Semi-Final 2nd Leg

West Ham vs Man Utd

Upton Park was in fine voice and full of hope as they welcomed their more illustrious opponents to London. The loud noise inside the ground suddenly fell silent as Welbeck raced through on goal to slot past Green. In the second period, it was all West Ham but they couldn't find a way past De Gea and the players played the tie out to reach Wembley.

Final Score - West Ham 0-1 Man Utd (Man Utd win 3-1 on aggregate)

Goals - Welbeck (20)

Saturday 28th January 2012 - FA Cup 4th Round

Fulham vs Man Utd

It promised to be an entertaining cup tie at Craven Cottage. The match started with Vidic heading United ahead very early on but good pressure after the goal from Fulham led to Ruiz's thumping strike into the top corner. Into the second half and Chicharito rounded a swift counter-attack to restore the lead. The passage was sealed with substitute Smalling's stunner from outside the area. Another Chicharito goal and Jones' late header put the seal on the boys' performance.

Final Score - Fulham 1-5 Man Utd

Ruiz (32) ; Vidic (2), Chicharito (54, 90), Smalling (75), Jones (90+3)

Manager's Thoughts

The New Year started very badly with that shocking defeat against Stoke. The fringe players were given their chance to stake a claim for the starting XI place and they grabbed them with both hands as Southend were thrashed and West Ham was just about dealt with at home. The major players bounced back from the Stoke loss with a crushing defeat of QPR with a comeback at Aston Villa showing the players' character in the face of adversity. The Hammers were finished off without too much strain in the return leg at Upton Park. The month was ended superbly by the boys as Fulham were shown no mercy whatsoever. The injury ruling Owen for around 3 months was the other concern of the month as far as I was concerned.

Season 2011-2012 - February

Wednesday 1st February 2012 - Premier League Match 23

Man Utd vs Blackburn

The transfer window was over as the business end of the season was in full swing and Blackburn stunned Old Trafford when Yakubu headed in early from a corner. The players then mounted a spell of pressure which culminated with Chicharito and Nani turning the game around. In the second half, the hosts were in control and the three points were secured when Berbatov swept home.

Final Score - Man Utd 3-1 Blackburn

Goals - Chicharito (22), Nani (39), Berbatov (59) ; Yakubu (9)

League Position - 1st

Sunday 5th February 2012 - Premier League Match 24

Man Utd vs Tottenham

It was top against second at Old Trafford and it was a very even first half between these two top sides. But late in the first half, United had the upper hand as Giggs converted from the spot and Ferdinand then headed a corner home. The visitors started applying some pressure after the break but the boys were in ruthless mood on the break and a well-worked move ended with Park bundling home.

Final Score - Man Utd 3-0 Tottenham

Goals - Giggs (pen 41), Ferdinand (45+2), Park (81)

League Position - 1st

Saturday 12th February 2012 - Premier League Match 25

Liverpool vs Man Utd

It was the biggest game of the season for both sets of fans. And the first half was very tense with very little mistakes being made in such a pivotal game. At the end of the half though, Ferdinand gave United the lead. But Liverpool came flying out after the break by turning the game around with Kuyt and Carroll both netting. A defensive mix-up allowed Chicharito to restore parity and with the game setup nicely, substitute Valencia came on to snatch what could prove his most important goal of his United career.

Final Score - Liverpool 2-3 Man Utd

Goals - Kuyt (pen 51), Carroll (65) ; Ferdinand (45+1), Chicharito (74), Valencia (89)

League Position - 1st

Saturday 19th February 2012 - FA Cup 5th Round

Man Utd vs Liverpool

The visitors didn't need to wait long for the chance of revenge. And they went about their mission very early on here as Gerrard tapped in at the back post. The rest of the half went by without too much incident as United were still feeling their way into the game. After the break, the players laid siege on Liverpool's goal but Doni was in inspired form in goal. Substitute Smalling made an instant impact as he scrambled into the bottom corner. The game was then about United's pressing and Liverpool's threat on the counter but it ended all square.

Final Score - Man Utd 1-1 Liverpool

Goals - Smalling (71) ; Gerrard (9)

Wednesday 22nd February 2012 - Champions League 1st Knockout Round 1st Leg

Porto vs Man Utd

The atmosphere in the Dragao was deafening at the sight of Manchester United. The first half was controlled for the most part by the hosts as United were struggling to keep hold of possession. Porto made their pressure tell early after the interval when Otamendi fired into the far corner from Moutinho's set-piece. With the boys chasing an away goal, they were caught on the counter when Bilic forced the ball home. Chicharito pulled a goal back late on to give us hope at Old Trafford.

Final Score - Porto 2-1 Man Utd

Goals - Otamendi (55), Bilic (79) ; Chicharito (87)

Sunday 26th February 2012 - Carling Cup Final

Barnsley vs Man Utd

The first serious piece of silverware was up for grabs at Wembley with United huge favourites against their Championship opponents. And they emphasised the gulf in class as Welbeck and Chicharito scored in the first quarter of the match. Before half-time, Jones stole in unmarked to head home what looked like the clincher. The second half resembled a training session as the players took an iron grip on Barnsley. Valencia forced home a fourth goal midway through the second half to start the trophy celebrations early.

Final Score - Barnsley 0-4 Man Utd

Goals - Welbeck (12), Chicharito (23), Jones (40), Valencia (65)

Manager's Thoughts

The month started on the right note as despite an early setback, the players turned it around and comfortably defeated Blackburn. The confidence from that victory rubbed off the boys in the next game at home to title rivals Tottenham where the North Londoners were sent packing empty-handed. Then came the best result of my reign so far as we led, fell behind and eventually overcame the arch enemy Liverpool in a rollercoaster of a match at Anfield. The FA Cup tie against them was a little quieter as the players showed great character to level matters and were unlucky in the end not to progress. The Champions League was underway again but the players obviously were slow to react and we now find ourselves in a difficult but manageable situation. The month ended on the best possible note with the lifting of the Carling Cup, my first and hopefully not my last trophy at the club.

Season 2011-2012 - March

Saturday 3rd March 2012 - Premier League Match 26

Bolton vs Man Utd

The first half at the Reebok was dominated by the visitors but found a brick wall in the shape of Jaaskelainen. His saves provided the platform for Cahill to head home the opener early after the break. The game was soon turned around eventually by United as Chicharito struck twice and as Bolton started pushing more men forward, they were caught by the counter and Welbeck sealed the three points late on.

Final Score - Bolton 1-3 Man Utd

Goals - Cahill (52) ; Chicharito (60, 64), Welbeck (87)

League Position - 1st

Wednesday 7th March 2012 - FA Cup 5th Round Replay

Liverpool vs Man Utd

Anfield was rocking in their atmosphere as the old enemy arrived. After an even start from both sides, the players broke the deadlock when Chicharito swept into the bottom corner from the edge of the area. In the second half, Liverpool started to control proceedings and twice came close to levelling matters but De Gea was outstanding in preserving the boys' lead and United went on to progress.

Final Score - Liverpool 0-1 Man Utd

Goals - Chicharito (17)

Saturday 10th March 2012 - Premier League Match 27

Man Utd vs Fulham

The match started very brightly for the hosts as first Berbatov pounced on hesitance from Senderos to slot past Schwarzer and then Chicharito finished a sweeping one-touch move to blast home. The second half was equally dominant from the boys as Vidic headed in Young's corner and Welbeck stepped off the bench to provide a cheeky chipped fourth goal to set the seal on the victory.

Final Score - Man Utd 4-0 Fulham

Goals - Berbatov (14), Chicharito (21), Vidic (67), Welbeck (88)

League Position - 1st

Tuesday 13th March 2012 - Champions League 1st Knockout Round 2nd Leg

Man Utd vs Porto

What was already a tough challenge turned even more difficult early on as Varela firmly headed home. But the hosts were soon back on level terms as Chicharito and Young both converted easy chances. After that goal, the Porto goal was being peppered with stinging shots from all angles but Helton was proving to be unbeatable. That was until late on as Young slotted home the vital goal and Chicharito scored on the counter as Porto piled forward.

Final Score - Man Utd 4-1 Porto (Man Utd win 5-3 on aggregate)

Goals - Chicharito (14, 90+3), Young (18, 89)

Saturday 17th March 2012 - FA Cup 6th Round

Norwich vs Man Utd

A place at the national stadium in April was up for grabs at Carrow Road. The first half was quite even as both sides looked to attack but were both thwarted by both backlines. Into the second half and the visitors started to control the match and they opened the scoring midway through the second period thanks to Chicharito's strike. The goal proved enough to seal the players' progress to the semi-finals of the competition.

Final Score - Norwich 0-1 Man Utd

Goals - Chicharito (67)

Wednesday 21st March 2012 - Premier League Match 28

Man Utd vs Newcastle

It was a bright opening to the game from United and Ferdinand capped it off, firmly heading in Young's freekick. Newcastle's task got even harder as Meneses was dismissed for a wild lunge on Giggs. The rest of the first half passed off without incident but after the break, Chicharito quickly lashed into the far corner and Vidic headed in Young's corner to secure the three points for the hosts.

Final Score - Man Utd 3-0 Newcastle

Goals - Ferdinand (13), Chicharito (46), Vidic (60)

League Position - 1st

Saturday 24th March 2012 - Premier League Match 29

Man Utd vs Norwich

The hosts started this game like an express train as Nani scored a wondergoal and Giggs finished a lightning-quick counter-attack. Barnett was sent off for a professional foul on Chicharito inside the area and Giggs converted the spot-kick. Ferdinand and Chicharito added goals to the mounting tally before the half-hour mark. Just before the break, Young scored a sixth goal. In the second half, United's triple change at half-time coupled with Norwich's efforts to limit the game led to no more goals.

Final Score - Man Utd 6-0 Norwich

Goals - Nani (3), Giggs (9, pen 12), Ferdinand (19), Chicharito (28), Young (40)

League Position - 1st

Tuesday 27th March 2012 - Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg

Man Utd vs Leverkusen

The first half in this match at Old Trafford was very tight as the visitors played more conservative to stop United's rhythm. Into the second half and United started laying siege to the visitors' goal but were finding Giefer very difficult to beat. But the relentless pressure finally told late on as Valencia thrashed home Welbeck's incisive pass and the players had sealed a slender advantage to take to Germany.

Final Score - Man Utd 1-0 Leverkusen

Goals - Valencia (78)

Saturday 31st March 2012 - Premier League Match 30

Chelsea vs Man Utd

It was time for a real test of United's title credentials at Stamford Bridge. The first half was controlled by the hosts but were not creating enough clear cut opportunities and United took advantage on half-time with Ferdinand heading past Hilario. Chelsea quickly equalised after the interval when Ramires finished off a swift counter-attack but Chicharito restored the boys' lead just minutes later. The hosts started applying pressure to the United goal and the pressure told late on when Ramires converted Drogba's quick through ball to secure a point apiece.

Final Score - Chelsea 2-2 Man Utd

Goals - Ramires (47, 85) ; Ferdinand (45+2), Chicharito (51)

League Position - 1st

Manager's Thoughts

The month was started very well as the players showed great character to undeservedly going behind at the Reebok to win and the result at Anfield came hot on the heels of the league victory I enjoyed so much. The performance against Fulham was fantastic and deserved to win so well before the European tie against Porto brought just about my most dramatic game in charge of the club. Thankfully, we progressed and we did the same at Norwich thanks to the resilient defence and ruthless finishing of Chicharito. Newcastle were eventually beaten into submission and then Norwich were the victims of the best half of my reign so far as the game was won before the break. Leverkusen were very difficult to break down at Old Trafford but the game was won from players off the bench until the very entertaining match against Chelsea at the end of the month. I will take a draw at one of the toughest grounds in the country.

Season 2011-2012 - April

Wednesday 4th April 2012 - Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg

Leverkusen vs Man Utd

There was a special atmosphere inside the BayArena and it got even louder as Ballack scored two priceless goals to turn the tie around. The boys were still recovering when Kiebling converted an easy chance. The second half was much improved pressure from the visitors but still conceded a fourth goal when Toprak firmly headed home. Chicharito did score but it was just too late and the night was capped off by Friedrich's long range stunner.

Final Score - Leverkusen 5-1 Man Utd (Leverkusen win 5-2 on aggregate)

Goals - Ballack (pen 13, 20), Kiebling (28), Toprak (62), Friedrich (86) ; Chicharito (64)

Monday 9th April 2012 - Premier League Match 31

Man Utd vs West Brom

It was back to the league as United were looking to bounce back from Champions League humiliation. But the first half passed by without any real chance of a goal for either side. In the second half, the players started to crank up the pressure but were finding Foster very difficult to beat. The match ended with the visitors practically camped inside their own area.

Final Score - Man Utd 0-0 West Brom

League Position - 1st

Sunday 15th April 2012 - FA Cup Semi-Final

Birmingham vs Man Utd

The winners of this tie would face Man City back here in May. The underdogs made a bright start and they capped it off by breaking the deadlock as Haroun struck from long range into the top corner. Anderson soon after had levelled matters from Chicharito's cross and the players ended the half on the front foot. Into the second half and Welbeck calmly slotted away and as Birmingham came in search of an equaliser, he struck again to set up a huge final against those noisy neighbours.

Birmingham 1-3 Man Utd

Goals - Haroun (9) ; Anderson (22), Welbeck (50, 90+2)

Saturday 21st April 2012 - Premier League Match 32

Everton vs Man Utd

This was always going to be a tricky encounter at any stage and it was time for Rooney to make his comeback. He wasn't involved much in the opening period as both sides looked laboured and lacking any confidence. After the break, the visitors improved a lot and midway through the half, Nani clipped past Howard at his near post. For the rest of the game, United held on comfortably to edge the three points.

Final Score - Everton 0-1 Man Utd

Goals - Nani (57)

League Position - 1st

Tuesday 24th April 2012 - Premier League Match 33

Man City vs Man Utd

It had a real top of the table feel about this encounter and Nani started proceedings with a remarkable as he danced past two defenders before firing into the far corner. Almost immediately though, Dzeko levelled the game and it was game on here. As the break approached, Dzeko finished off a slick team move to turn the match around and in the second half, the hosts were in control of the match and the three points stayed at Eastlands.

Final Score - Man City 2-1 Man Utd

Goals - Dzeko (10, 45) ; Nani (8)

League Position - 1st

Thursday 26th April 2012 - Premier League Match 34

Swansea vs Man Utd

The players needed to bounce back from the derby defeat and quickly. In Wales, it was the hosts that started on the front foot but De Gea was fantastic, saving two difficult efforts. Into the second half and the boys were starting to turn the screw but the final pass was always missing. The game unfortunately petered out and the honours were even.

Final Score - Swansea 0-0 Man Utd

Saturday 28th April 2012 - Premier League Match 35

Man Utd vs Sunderland

United made a very bright start at Old Trafford and early on, Evans headed home from a corner and then Welbeck struck into the far corner. Into the second half and the players started to find their shooting boots again as Jones headed home and Rooney struck his first goal since his comeback with a thunderous finish to secure the three points.

Final Score - Man Utd 4-0 Sunderland

Goals - Evans (10), Welbeck (23), Jones (63), Rooney (89)

League Position - 1st

Manager's Thoughts

I thought that it was a big risk taking such a slender lead to Germany but I never thought it would fall apart the way it did. The players were embarassed and it showed against West Brom as they just couldn't get themselves going. It was nice to win a match as a final was reached after beating Birmingham and now look forward to a derby final. The best result of the month though came a week later as Everton were safely negotiated at Goodison. The players were feeling the strain though and a run of three games inside just four days saw the boys lose at our local rivals, draw miserably at Swansea but then bounce back with a vengeance against Sunderland. It was a poor month and it was capped when Berbatov was ruled out for the season with a hip injury.

Very interesting to see a "big team" thread, I like it. I also like the signing young players policy, it's something which I'm doing at the moment with my Chelsea save, getting rid of all the old players and not signing anyone over 21. I bought Sanogo too, he's a beast! Can't wait for a few years time when him and Lukaku are my world-beating strikers :D

Archived