Are you a Spender or a Saver?

Are you a "Spender" or a "Saver"?

Personally I like to spend whatever it takes to sign a player that I like or need. I will also stretch the wage budget as far as it will go. Do you think "spending" is the way forward or "saving" being the way forward?

If your a "spender", how far would you go to sign somebody?

If your a "Saver", what are your limits on transfers and wages?

Depends where I'm managing!!

Always start off careers as a saver. Hard to spend money when you're managing Bedworth.

But if and when I make the bigger leagues - I'll try and splash some cash.

Makes it more rewarding when you've spent the first 10 years of your career dealing in freebies and loans.

Ended up spending £66m on one player in FM11 towards the end of my career. Felt a little silly afterwards.

Depends where I'm managing!!

Always start off careers as a saver. Hard to spend money when you're managing Bedworth.

But if and when I make the bigger leagues - I'll try and splash some cash.

Makes it more rewarding when you've spent the first 10 years of your career dealing in freebies and loans.

Ended up spending £66m on one player in FM11 towards the end of my career. Felt a little silly afterwards.

I know exactly what you mean :D On FM10, I had the squad I wanted, wasn't spending, but come the end of the Transfer Window, I had £90mil to spend, I just had to spend and ended up buying "Sakho" for £77mil.

Not so much a saver, more like a 'hoarder'.

I hate spending transfer budgets. It could be better invested in other areas in the club (If the board didn't have their head up their hoop), or made to increase the wage budget. I scour the free agents or £0 unwanted players before splashing cash. I just don't like being held to ransom over transfer fees, so I spend as little as my success allows.

That said, when I've had a few quid to burn, it's not unknown for me to purchase a crap player from some minnow team, just to see what they do with the money. Bradford PA urinated away £23 million before filing for Bankruptcy while they were on the verge of getting back into the Football League.

This usually depends on who I'm managing. But on FM11 I was managing Real Madrid for a few years and got addicted to making **** loads of money. I would prefer to make the game more challenging by bringing youth players through instead of spending the money... I wanted the bank balance to keep increasing each year!

I'm very much a saver, but then I tend to start in the BSS/N. Money spent on transfers is cash that could be spent on the youth academy/ training facilities etc. I tend to set myself a limit of about £20,000 per season for transfers once I've got into the FL, but it's all about signing players for nothing and shifting them on for a huge profit for me. I won't start spending anything until I've got a new ground.

The only exceptions were a couple of FM10 careers. In one of them I started at my beloved Notts County during the Munto Finance era. I had cash coming out my ears, and so I spent it, bringing in Beckham, Ronaldinho, and Pirlo. Mental team. The other one was a Danish career that saw me offered the Juventus job in the second summer. I started with a £30m transfer budget and spent all of it on Edin Dzeko, who won me both the Scudetto and the Europa League in my first year...

Without a doubt a saver. Spend as little as possible and pull out of deals if i don't get my own way. In my current save i intended to sign a Stevenage player and had an offer of £120,000 accepted. As i had agreed to sell my main midfielder for £2.5m i wanted to replace him with this guy.

Everything fitted in with the pay scale aprt from the agent fee and loyalty bonus. I could change my mind on the agents fee but given this player had had 4 clubs in three years there was no way i was paying £32,000 loyalty bonus.

Knowing the way this game works he will come back to haunt me on the last day of the season and deny my Huddersfield side a playoff place :mad:

I try and save.. buying youngesters and developing them etc.

although I do spend big when I see the right player.. spent £19m on a 17 year old German CB who is now world class and the heart of my defence at just 21, and bought another German CB/DM for £56m (who was a total flop in his intended CB position, but excellent as a DM -.-) and bought a CM for £35m once, whenever I spend big like that, I never plan on selling them, once they've signed the contract, they're at the club until there's absolutely no use left in them! thats why i'll only buy players over £10m or whatever very rarely.

I know exactly what you mean :D On FM10, I had the squad I wanted, wasn't spending, but come the end of the Transfer Window, I had £90mil to spend, I just had to spend and ended up buying "Sakho" for £77mil.

I like the way you've put Sakho in quotes. This leads me to believe that you actually bought Armand Traore for £77 mllion and are trying to hide the fact... :p

I'll add myself to the list of savers. I tend to prefer teams that are a bit hard up and don't have loads of money to spend, so I always tend to be frugal. I think the most I've ever spent was £15mil for Steven Defour to on FM2010, but spending that much brought me out in a cold sweat and I resigned and immediately to a less better off team. I always like to keep my wage budget at half of what the board allow me, and will often buy a cheaper player even if it means my team is not quite as good as it could be.

As a bonus I find it keeps my squads different from the ones I read about in the various team threads.

I like the way you've put Sakho in quotes. This leads me to believe that you actually bought Armand Traore for £77 mllion and are trying to hide the fact... :p

I'll add myself to the list of savers. I tend to prefer teams that are a bit hard up and don't have loads of money to spend, so I always tend to be frugal. I think the most I've ever spent was £15mil for Steven Defour to on FM2010, but spending that much brought me out in a cold sweat and I resigned and immediately to a less better off team. I always like to keep my wage budget at half of what the board allow me, and will often buy a cheaper player even if it means my team is not quite as good as it could be.

As a bonus I find it keeps my squads different from the ones I read about in the various team threads.

That made me laugh :D I'm a man utd supporter so you won't see me buying him!

I generally start of at BSS/N so only option is to save. But I do spend massively once I jump to my first big club, but mostly on young prospects. The spending evens out in 3-4 years as I generally move on some of the youngsters for bumper pay days ;)

depends on the club i'm managing.

with liverpool i spent my first 3 seasons to get the players i wanted and my youth squared away. now i'm saving and hoping my board builds a new stadium, though they just recently built on to anfield so i'm not sure they will build a new stadium anytime soon. 55,000 seats now though so it's an improvement.

after the january window patch i will start a LLM save and i will probably be spending very little, if anything at all for quite a while.

I always a spender, I would spend my transfer budget to get the best players in the world regardless of wages and cost. Yet on fm11 on my liverpool save after spending 100 million and then making a lost of 40 million i had decided to cut costs down and keep a tight wage structure. I don't want anyone on wages over 100k and because of this i have had to start buying young. This has worked because i developed a young striker who has scored me 70+ each season for the past 3 seasons (contributes around 100 goals a season including assists. )

I work on a deal by deal basis. I've spent 20M on a 15 year old wonderkid and ended up selling him for 88M at age 27. Value plummeted to 12M by age 30. I've also spent 3M on kids that I end up selling for 750k. For already developed players, I only spend a maximum of 25M because after that, it's hard for players values to go up, unless they're excellent.

If I'm managing a lower league team, it's all free agents and loans. Until I get to the division where my club value is at least 10M, I won't buy any players.

It really depends on who is available/what I need etc but I wont go crazy for the hell of it. I'm Man City & in my first season I spent £5M on 1 player. 2nd season I spent pretty much nothing, 3rd season £40M plus on Bale & Hlousek. In my 5th season pre-season I've just spent £90M on Pastore, Wilshire & Shawcross.

Spender. I can stretch a £10m transfer budget to £50-60m in one season thanks to monthly payments. On FM11 I spent £25m on Diego Tardelli, £28m on Ganso and £10m on Scott Dann in my first offseason. I was paying them off for four years but it was worth it.

On my Barcelona save, I've actually been very much a Saver! It's a bit strange to say i'm usually a Spender. Although I must admit, I did pay over the odds in wages for Philipp Lahm, but he's been my only signing of the season! He cost me £26mil, but only £10mil up front. I've brought in £8.25mil worth from selling players, so I'm almost even transfers wise.

My total profit for the year after winning the Champions League is £157,928,602 which is insane. The board gave me an extra £56mil to spend on top of the £26mil i spent on Lahm, but i've not spent a penny. I think my next aim is to take the wage bill down, despite having almost £1mil wage budget left.

I normally try to keep the books fairly balanced

But in 11, my southampton save, I went crazy trying to get us into the prem, so much debt from the two years we fought for promotion I thought we were ****ed.

Then I got a little message about £40 million from the TV and things were right again :)

at the mo, I'm a tad confused by Bristol Rovers - I've stretched the wage budget as far as it'll go, so we're spending £35k p/w, when the original limit was £28k, but we're losing £200,000 a month, and I'm like WTF ???? we're £1mil in the red at christmas - how ****ed are we gonna be by season end?

I've never been too much of a spender or too much of a save, but I've never seen loss like this

Depends who I go. I tend to start off with a big club like Man Utd or Barcelona who don't need huge investment so I tend to want to develop their youngsters to see how good they become.

If I play lower leagues I tend to spend as much as I am allowed to improve my team to get me moving up the divisions.

In FM11 I was a spender the first seasons with Las Palmas. After I won the league in season 4, the economy kind of took off, especially after winning everything a couple of seasons. The club went with a profit of 30-50 million pounds annually towards the end of that 11-season save, and then I usually bought one star player for 20-40 millions plus talents for more than 10 every season (but sold for as much or more).

So I went from a spender to a saver, one could say, mostly because the players I developed myself were better than the ones I could afford to sign at any point along the way.

Now I manage Bradford in League One season two (FM12), and transfered most of the 800k budget into the wage budget in order to build the team I want. Since the club wouldn't make a profit no matter how much I save, there are no incentives for me to do so. Once in Premier League and with the stadium filled up I suppose there will be a profit, and then I will save.

I'm more of a spender. That being said I'm more of a gambler.

I play as Hull city so not a huge amount of money so if I set my eyes on a player i'm pretty sure is perfect for my team I'll offer to pay it over 48 months. Bit of a risk if the player becomes a flop but I managed to get Tim Krul to come to me at the end of my first season that way. He's brilliant in the championship

Usually spend as much as I can in the first couple of seasons to get the squad to where I want it, and then turn into a saver afterwards and only invest in youth.

I'm a spender in the sense that I'll dish out loyalty bonuses, apperance fees and goal bonuses to get a player's weekly wage down, and I'll also stretch the wage budget as far as it will go, but I'm also a saver in the sense that I won't spend exorbitant fees to buy players; I look for the cheapest deals in the transfer market. :)

both really

i create my own team, so in season 1 (and partially 2) it's spend spend spend (got to put together a team)

then after that, the transfer money just sits there (of course, i have spent the odd sum [no more than 40m] on a player, just because it weakened my CL rivals)

I am a huge huge saver. It is really hard for me to buy a player by spending over £ 20 million. And I do not like to change the whole squad in just a couple of seasons. I never sign Key Player contract with a player if he is not a real superstar. If he asks more wages then I can give as First Team Contract, I just do not buy him. There are plenty of player out there who can accept a lower wage.

On the other hand, I do not play with big teams for long periods. After 1-2 months I will start a LLM career.

Save! Save! Save!

I'm not someone who likes to buy something for a lot of money irl, usually waiting for sales or finding a cheaper alternative, so that's something I usually do in FM too. Although if the club has enough money I wouldn't be hesitant to spend some of it (I sometimes track players for 2-3 years before buying them to make sure I don't have any doubts!)

I tend to be a saver and look for cheap opportunities to buy some talented players. I somehow like developing young players into really world class players and usually have a very young team. I don't know why but every time a agent demands some outrages wages or a club wants to have 3 or 4 times the estimate value of a player I usually leave the negotiation immediately. I think I'm a bit like SAF in that regard if I feel I'm getting robbed by the opposition manager or agent the deal is not going to happen no matter how much I would love to have the player.

I barely buy players at all, although a lot of the clubs I manage don't have much cash anyway, so it's pretty much all loans and free transfers- at the moment I'm Maidenhead. I like having a big squad of low wage players on year-long contracts- one of the first things I do each season is switch as much transfer allowance as possible towards the wage budget. Also means that if players aren't cutting it, it's no big deal to cut their contract short.

I think in four seasons in the BSS/BSP, I've spent just under 25k total on transfer fees, 16k of which was on an 17-year-old striker from Reading. After a very slow start with the club, he's now banged in 20+ goals the last two seasons, which was a relief.

Definite saver. My record signing in my current game is under £20m and my highest paid player is £115000 a week. I am in 2022. I develop my youth team.

If players want too much money I sell them, when they get to 30 I sell them (most of them anyway..), when they get pissy about a new challenge I sell them. This is because I have a new player coming through!

I am a spender, but have certain criteria. E.G. won't spend over £20m on a player aged 25+. In my Man Utd save in 5 seasons I have spent £300m and brought in about £50m. But my team and squad is really young and so won't need to spend any money for 5yrs at least

Depends on what league I'm in, who my squad already are, etc etc. Funnily enough I went to Man City and during my 4 seasons there I only spent a combined amount of around 25 million, and that was purely on youngsters I planned on developing for the future. Got bored in the end and went to AFC Wimbledon though :D

Archived