Edinburgh City in English Leagues?

It is kind of an editing question but also a curiousity question.

Cardiff City play in the English Leagues, so would it be possible for Edinburgh City (Scotland) to play in the English leagues in real life?

I doubt it. The Welsh clubs played in the English pyramind a long time before a proper Welsh League was created. And I seem to remember there was a lot of uproar when they refused to go back when one was created. This is mainly why there are Welsh teams playing in England.

Berwick Rangers play in Scottish leagues even though they are English but that is due to their close proximity to the border. Because of this I imagine it would be almost impossible for Edinburgh City to play in the English leagues. Not to mention their fans opinion!

Data Editor -> Whatever league you want them to start in (Guessing Conference North, unless you make it lower) -> Teams -> Random team -> Swap w/other club -> Edinburgh City

LiquidFury is correct, I did it for Rangers & Celtic in FM2010. once you swap them though make sure you edit the last division in the competitions section of the club details on the teams you swapped to match each other.

I doubt it. The Welsh clubs played in the English pyramind a long time before a proper Welsh League was created. And I seem to remember there was a lot of uproar when they refused to go back when one was created. This is mainly why there are Welsh teams playing in England.

Berwick Rangers play in Scottish leagues even though they are English but that is due to their close proximity to the border. Because of this I imagine it would be almost impossible for Edinburgh City to play in the English leagues. Not to mention their fans opinion!

I'm sure Gretna played in the English Leagues until the early 2000s, so I don't think it's entirely implausible.

As a Wrexham fan I'm well aware of the fact that we've played in the English leagues since we entered the Birmingham Combination League towards the end of the 19th Century. Us, Cardiff, Swansea, Colwyn Bay, Newport and the recently defunct Merthyr play(ed) in the English Leagues. Incidentally, Bangor played in the Conference during the 1980s, and Oswestry did the opposite; English club playing in Wales and were later to be absorbed by TNS.

I'm sure Gretna played in the English Leagues until the early 2000s, so I don't think it's entirely implausible.
But they are pretty close to the border aswell. I didn't say it was implausible (as I have said, it does happen), just nearly impossible because of the geography.

The OP mentioned cardiff which is why I put about the Welsh teams. I wasn't suggesting you didn't know.

The OP mentioned cardiff which is why I put about the Welsh teams. I wasn't suggesting you didn't know.

No, I got that. I was wondering what he meant by 'why Cardiff didn't move' when TNS were created. TNS were formed in 1959 so it was an odd question.

In real life: Berwick and Gretna are right on the border. Edinburgh isn't so I don't think would be acceptable.

In FM: I created a Scottish-based team and put them in the BSN, same as the OP. It's perfectly legal and playable. Scouts will find mostly Scottish players and 80% of my squad is Scottish.

What I don't yet know is how it will affect the home-grown rule when it comes to European qualification, but I'm relying on my youth policy, so I'm hoping my players will be eligible through being with the club 5 years.

Does anyone know the rule for if Swansea qualify to the Europa League - if they have lots of Welsh players will they be eligible or not?

What I don't yet know is how it will affect the home-grown rule when it comes to European qualification, but I'm relying on my youth policy, so I'm hoping my players will be eligible through being with the club 5 years.

Does anyone know the rule for if Swansea qualify to the Europa League - if they have lots of Welsh players will they be eligible or not?

There's debate about that. At least, from the Welsh point of view. Since 1995 the 'exiles' of Wrexham, Swansea et al have been ineligable to play in the Welsh Cup, because if they win, they qualify for the UEFA Cup (Europa League. Whatever.). This is because UEFA would frown upon a team that plays it's football in England, representing Wales in European competitions, even though the club itself is Welsh. However, there's been talk of the exile clubs being allowed back into the Cup, as well as competing in the English Cup; this was how it used to be before 1995 anyway.

I think the controversy works the other way; if a welsh side qualifies for Europe via the english leagues, UEFA will probably frown upon a welsh team representing England in european competitions. Although I'm not definite.

In terms of FM, the Home-Grown rules for these clubs are for english clubs. It can be any player, so long as he was trained at an english club during the critical period.

In terms of FM, the Home-Grown rules for these clubs are for english clubs. It can be any player, so long as he was trained at an english club during the critical period.

Yes, what I'm not sure about is whether 'English' refers to the geographical location or the league the club is playing in. My Scottish-born 'n' bred kids will have been nurtured in a club based in the English league system.

I think it will be okay, being mindful of an analogy of sorts. An editor guru has included Bryan Gunn's 15 year old son Angus in a young stars file. The kid was born in Thurso, Scotland. However hes been nurtured by Norwich. Therefore the editor had to enter 'Thurso, England' as his birth place.

Oh hang on, that's probably NOT good for me :confused:. Can anyone help me think this through?

This was touched upon before, when Cardiff were looking like they may end up in that position by winning the FA cup! (Damn portsmouth) lol

UEFA said that there would be no problem with the welsh side being entered, and the english FA said that they would do as they had won the competition. As the prize of european entry was on offer.

This was touched upon before' date=' when Cardiff were looking like they may end up in that position by winning the FA cup! (Damn portsmouth) lol

UEFA said that there would be no problem with the welsh side being entered, and the english FA said that they would do as they had won the competition. As the prize of european entry was on offer.[/quote']

Yeh but that's not quite my question. Will my players who grew up in a Scottish club playing in England pass the 'homegrown' test?

Archived