(Yet another) STEAM question?

Ok- so I took my laptop to work today and played FM12 during down times and connected to Steam, downloaded the latest patch- all was well. Now I'm home, where I currently have no Internet access, and when I try to start FM12 I'm told there is a connection error, obviously, and am given the option to Start in offline mode. So I click that and I'm told 'Steam Error' and 'Could not connect to steam network. This could be a problem with your Internet connection'. Duh! I don't have one. So basically steam won't open. Can't play FM.

So basically the question is... How do I get around this? I'm presuming it's because I she the laptop down earlier without going into offline mode on steam.

Yeah, you have to remember to go into offline mode whilst you still have an internet connection, best thing I can suggest is if one of your neighbours have unprotected wireless, then you could quickly make use of an opportunity ;)

Ok- so I took my laptop to work today and played FM12 during down times and connected to Steam, downloaded the latest patch- all was well. Now I'm home, where I currently have no Internet access, and when I try to start FM12 I'm told there is a connection error, obviously, and am given the option to Start in offline mode. So I click that and I'm told 'Steam Error' and 'Could not connect to steam network. This could be a problem with your Internet connection'. Duh! I don't have one. So basically steam won't open. Can't play FM.

So basically the question is... How do I get around this? I'm presuming it's because I she the laptop down earlier without going into offline mode on steam.

Do you know if you had the latest steam client? thats usually the first problem, and given the message you have that is what it sounds like. Shutting the laptop down without going into offline mode wouldnt have been the cause.

Do you know if you had the latest steam client? thats usually the first problem, and given the message you have that is what it sounds like. Shutting the laptop down without going into offline mode wouldnt have been the cause.

The latest steam client? That's French to me im afraid.

It was working just fine when the laptop was connected to Internet. Just not now it's not.

It was working just fine when the laptop was connected to Internet. Just not now it's not.

For the offline mode to work properly (ie run in offline without having to be online to turn it to offline), it requires Steam on your computer to be the most upto date one. Considering the message you got, i dont think it was (something i know from personal experience). Sadly not sure there is much you can do now, but next time you connect to the internet, open steam and check for latest updates, and make sure it is the latest update. This should prevent future issues. Also if you do leave your steam in offline mode for extended periods, each time you do turn it back to online mode, make sure to check for an update.

For the offline mode to work properly (ie run in offline without having to be online to turn it to offline), it requires Steam on your computer to be the most upto date one. Considering the message you got, i dont think it was (something i know from personal experience). Sadly not sure there is much you can do now, but next time you connect to the internet, open steam and check for latest updates, and make sure it is the latest update. This should prevent future issues. Also if you do leave your steam in offline mode for extended periods, each time you do turn it back to online mode, make sure to check for an update.

Archived