how to make a gd thread for a career update?

electricfy_wolves

Have a look around the careers forum and see for yourself what you like in other threads. Most threads that are popular have that status for a reason, they're usually quite good. However, there are also some that don't have many replies, but are nonetheless very good.

There are two main types of career: the journeyman who often changes clubs and the one club man. It's up to you choosing how to update (most users will allow you to use their templates if you ask politely, but no one stops you from creating your own).

Another thing is the commitment you have to the thread. A well-written thread that is updated regularly will often get a lot of interest. Also, a good title can be the difference between a successful thread and a failure, because as users browse the forum they will be attracted to titles that are interesting, witty or descriptive.

Good luck with your future careers forum thread. :)

Have a look around the careers forum and see for yourself what you like in other threads. Most threads that are popular have that status for a reason, they're usually quite good. However, there are also some that don't have many replies, but are nonetheless very good.

Couldn't agree more - there are some fantastic threads around with a huge variety of styles, each with their own special charm. There's a lot to be said for "borrowing" ideas from threads you enjoy - though if you're going to be blatant about it, follow Romanista's advice and ask permission first - FMCUers are a friendly lot and I'd be surprised if anyone says no.

Ultimately, something inspired you to want to start a career thread in the first place - maybe it was a great idea for a new save, maybe it was reading some of the other forum threads, maybe it was just a passion for sharing your FM stories (the ones we all create in our heads, whether we write them down or not) with fellow FM players. Whatever it was, if you let that inspiration and enthusiasm shine through, you're more than likely to find a following.

Here are a few other things I definitely appreciate in a good FMCU thread:

Riding out the ups and the downs: Some of the most popular threads have involved relegations, sackings, and other setbacks. You'll find that people even interact more in a thread when you're experiencing tough times - we've all been there, after all - and the good times will be all the sweeter when we've gone through the bad times together. Obviously you might be amazing at FM and maybe the bad times never come - that's okay, of course - but if you're going to lose interest in a thread if you're not winning everything under the sun, it's unlikely to really get off the ground.

Full sentences, decent spelling and punctuation: Not to sound too fuddy-duddy, but I think this is something that all popular threads have in common. This isn't English class and of course everyone will forgive errors here and there - again, we've all made them - but for me, nothing will get me to stop reading quicker than a thread where I have to decipher half the words and I can't tell where one sentence ends and another begins. Maybe I'm just an old stick in the mud, but that's how I feel.

Be interactive: The best threads are almost like little communities of their own, and that sense of community is fostered by the thread author encouraging other users to comment and ask questions, and then responding to those comments when they get them. You'll see it's pretty rare for comments to go unacknowledged in most good threads, and I think that encourages people to keep coming back.

Find your voice: This may not happen right away, but slowly over the course of your thread you'll find the style and pace of narrative that suits you. It doesn't matter if you find that's a few factual sentences at the end of each season, or voluminous and flowery descriptions of every single match - if it's fairly well written and the narrative is interesting, there will be people who keep coming back for more. The important thing is just to be true to your own vision for your thread - this is your story and your career so do what makes it interesting to you.

Have fun: This is the most important one. Writing a career thread should add a little something extra to your FM game. If it doesn't and it becomes a chore instead, that's going to come across quite clearly in your thread - and more to the point, why bother if you don't enjoy it! I'd also advise trying to find pleasure in just telling your story - that way you won't be too discouraged if you don't get a lot of comments to begin with. If you're enjoying just writing about your adventures, then the readers will come in time - and even if they don't, who cares? So make sure you're enjoying both your save and your writing, and you'll be all set for a great career and a great time!

That's my two cents/pence! Good luck! :thup:

Full sentences, decent spelling and punctuation: Not to sound too fuddy-duddy, but I think this is something that all popular threads have in common. This isn't English class and of course everyone will forgive errors here and there - again, we've all made them - but for me, nothing will get me to stop reading quicker than a thread where I have to decipher half the words and I can't tell where one sentence ends and another begins. Maybe I'm just an old stick in the mud, but that's how I feel.

I couldn't agree more. If somebody can't be bothered to try and write properly then I can't be bothered to try and decipher what they are writing. Everybody will make errors when they write, but it's blindingly obvious when somebody simply isn't making an effort to write correctly.

Archived