FM12 iPhone/iPad release date?

Come on now its been long enough, FM 2011 is boring! No good saying sorry it will be out before christmas - for all we know it could be 24th December release date. You lot might as well start creating FM 2013 now so it gets released on time! How long is it going to take to do the January transfers? Enough time in these Forums and get this app released. Hurry Up son!

• SI Staff
Any details you can share? Like is it going to be the same as the PSP version?

I'm afraid I'm not allowed to talk about individual features before they are officially announced but I can indicate that as with previous products the feature set for the PSP and iOS games is not identical.

I'm back, we just hope that the delay in releasing the iOS version is well worth waiting for.

What delay? It's been stating a number of times that like previous titles it will be out before xmas.

If Marc had said October, and we were still waiting, then it would be a delay.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear SI,

I have been a total fanatic of your games since FM was born, (and way before, when it was still part of CM). For all your impeccable organisation of player attributes and fine attention to detail ever expanding each year, I must comment that this is one area in which you still fall short. I totally understand that the iOS version of this game is different from the PC/Mac version, however there have been several notes saying that "The handheld version is treated as a different game", with no comment on the iOS version.

I thoroughly enjoy putting my hard earned money into the different platforms on which you have developed your wonderfully entertaining games for, as it offers me increased playability potential, depending on my situation, and am happy to do so as the quality of your products are top notch.

However...

To wait until "before Christmas" until I can play FM on a portable touch screen device, (many say the perfect platform for this genre of game), is a little farfetched as far as I'm concerned. We hit Xmas and then the transfer window opens again, and half of the season has suddenly gone. I know you will most likely offer updates for that, but where is the fun in starting a season 1/2 way through in terms of transfers, yet at the season opening? I'm not complaining about a "delay", (you have stated from the beginning that it would be before Christmas), but about why it has to take so long for the iOS version to be released. Some of your representatives blame Apple, (fair enough), but it's not all their fault. I have the full version on my computer, which makes it even more wounding, as by the time handheld iOS comes round, it looks like I will have figured out how to stream to my device therefore totally negating the need to get the app, (though previously I have done so).

My question is : Will this be a yearly thing with the app, and is it really worth the wait, or are we all in for a huge anticlimax?

Keep up the good work (in all the other areas and please spread some to this area too! :))

DDFF

Will this be a yearly thing with the app, and is it really worth the wait, or are we all in for a huge anticlimax?

It is the same every year, and yes it is worth the wait.

P.S. If you're going to comment, please try to answer a question that was actually asked, and avoid the obnoxiousness?
First of all, I never play as any Finnish team

Pot...Kettle...

Dear SI,

I have been a total fanatic of your games since FM was born, (and way before, when it was still part of CM). For all your impeccable organisation of player attributes and fine attention to detail ever expanding each year, I must comment that this is one area in which you still fall short. I totally understand that the iOS version of this game is different from the PC/Mac version, however there have been several notes saying that "The handheld version is treated as a different game", with no comment on the iOS version.

I thoroughly enjoy putting my hard earned money into the different platforms on which you have developed your wonderfully entertaining games for, as it offers me increased playability potential, depending on my situation, and am happy to do so as the quality of your products are top notch.

However...

To wait until "before Christmas" until I can play FM on a portable touch screen device, (many say the perfect platform for this genre of game), is a little farfetched as far as I'm concerned. We hit Xmas and then the transfer window opens again, and half of the season has suddenly gone. I know you will most likely offer updates for that, but where is the fun in starting a season 1/2 way through in terms of transfers, yet at the season opening? I'm not complaining about a "delay", (you have stated from the beginning that it would be before Christmas), but about why it has to take so long for the iOS version to be released. Some of your representatives blame Apple, (fair enough), but it's not all their fault. I have the full version on my computer, which makes it even more wounding, as by the time handheld iOS comes round, it looks like I will have figured out how to stream to my device therefore totally negating the need to get the app, (though previously I have done so).

My question is : Will this be a yearly thing with the app, and is it really worth the wait, or are we all in for a huge anticlimax?

Keep up the good work (in all the other areas and please spread some to this area too! :))

DDFF

Hi

You must remember that the game used to be released in March, longer through the season that it is released now.

Last year, the iOS game was released in December and was updated afterwards, including a data update after the January transfer window.

Which "representative" has blamed Apple?

Hi

You must remember that the game used to be released in March, longer through the season that it is released now.

Last year, the iOS game was released in December and was updated afterwards, including a data update after the January transfer window.

Hi David. Referring to this data update after the Jan transfer window for the iOS game which you have just mentioned, i can safely assume that the game saves made for the FMHi 2012 iOS game PRIOR to this update will not be erased upon completion of this update on the iPad right?

• SI Staff
Any way to include the jan updates into my saves?

This isn't practical for various reasons - not least it'd invalidate the reality in your game world.

To give a couple of examples:

You sign player 'x' for 12m UKP - in real-life he went to Brighton on a free-transfer, how would the game manage to 'apply' the update in those circumstances? ... steal your player and give him to Brighton with no recompense?

You sign player 'y' for 12m UKP - in real-life he got a career ending injury, would it be right for the game to just remove him from your squad with no recompense?

(even if you can say "this is how I'd like it to be" then unfortuntely others might have a different view which is why we simply make such updates applicable for new games only)

This isn't practical for various reasons - not least it'd invalidate the reality in your game world.

You sign player 'x' for 12m UKP - in real-life he went to Brighton on a free-transfer, how would the game manage to 'apply' the update in those circumstances? ... steal your player and give him to Brighton with no recompense?

You sign player 'y' for 12m UKP - in real-life he got a career ending injury, would it be right for the game to just remove him from your squad with no recompense?

(even if you can say "this is how I'd like it to be" then unfortuntely others might have a different view which is why we simply make such updates applicable for new games only)

ok thanks marc! i'm just glad at least the update will not erase my past saves. :)

Agreed, however, you could potentially update the player's PA without any consequences. It would be tricky, but it's not unrealistic.

I'm sorry SI, but I lost my patience waiting for the FM 2012 version for iOS and went ahead and purchased FIFA 2012 for my iPhone instead.
I'm sure you'll be back...:)

I did to. The game is fun, but the career mode is weak since players never stop progressing...My entire team is 90+ overall and under 25 after 3 years. Basically I have 11 Messi's on a team. Kinda takes the fun out of it. Oh that and there is a midfielder from Africa that you can scout and find who comes in at 99 overall if you don't sign him the first time you find him...Oodom or something crazy like that.

• SI Staff
Agreed, however, you could potentially update the player's PA without any consequences. It would be tricky, but it's not unrealistic.

That would be possible HOWEVER it might not be practical at all - for instance you're 5 years into your game and your star strikers PA is 'refined' from its release value of 190 to 148 ... however his CA is 190 in your game so also has to plummet.

(and thats not mentioning that young players actually have slightly randomised PA's anyway in FMH)

I forget where I read it exactly but there was somebody trying to pass off the idea that the reason FM12 was not yet out on iOS was because Apple does not announce release dates - silly I know.

Thank you all for the info and rapid responses, I love your games and am not at all trying to make a scene, my trousers are just starting to itch ;)

Its pretty standard that the game shouldn't change the players you have in your teams to meet their real life counter parts. The game should only effect those who arent in your team, but saying that, if all the transfers etc. were the same, and were unchangeable, it would be a bit predictable... no?

Also, i have a question about the transfers; what the maximum valuation for a player. Wasnt it something around £35m in 2011? I dont know i havent played for so long.

P.S. Marc, ill give you £100 if you can get someone slip a super player in Hartlepools squad.

Cheers :D

• SI Staff
FM for IPad? Keep on dreaming :)

Haha what a waste of time asking such a stupid question

No questions imho are ever stupid - so long as you learn something from them (the old saying goes - "Better to ask a question and seem stupid for a minute, than to stay quiet and stay stupid forever").

In the short-term having "Full FM PC on iPad" is admittedly not going to happen* - but its not so long ago people would have laughed at the concept of playing FM on a mobile phone**.

*Its also something which I don't personally think would suit the iPad, such devices are better suited to a snappier gameplay style imho ...

**It also might surprise you to know that an early FM prototype on mobile phone was in existance nearly a decade ago (abeit far more simplfied than FMH is) .... there was even a small write up on it in one of our magazines at one point, not that it ever got released (it'd probably shock people if they realised how many things get prototyped and tried out which never see light of day).

• SI Staff

Its not uncommon for companies to release different games at slightly different points in time upon other platforms; I think its important to realize that FMH is NOT FM PC/Mac, its a totally different product and plays somewhat differently to the PC game.

Its flattering that you chaps want to play the game 'now' - but trust me its better you get it when its ready rather than rushed out the door .... and all being well you don't have too long to wait now, please be patient.

I'm sure it'll be worth waiting for,to be fair i'm into 5th season with psg and just can't put the damn phone down ! two bollockings at work in a week :) not enough getting done ! this game could possibly have me looking for a new job very soon .

Personally i think its a joke that its going to be released less than a month before the new transfer windows open, dont get me wrong i will still be downloading the game but its ridiculous that it has taken this long and still no official release date!!!! This game should be sold at a reduced price to loyal FM fans as compensation for waiting this long. This year im not looking forward to christmas, im looking forward to playing football manager 2012 on my iphone!!!

Its not uncommon for companies to release different games at slightly different points in time upon other platforms; I think its important to realize that FMH is NOT FM PC/Mac, its a totally different product and plays somewhat differently to the PC game.

Its flattering that you chaps want to play the game 'now' - but trust me its better you get it when its ready rather than rushed out the door .... and all being well you don't have too long to wait now, please be patient.

I've been avoiding posting about the release date for a while, but with the release date surely getting closer (Christmas in three weeks!) is there any way we could get a preview of the new features? A screenshot or two, perhaps? I understand that with debugging, plus Apple's approval process, it's difficult to give a release date, but surely you know how the game will be different from 2010? Please??

• SI Staff
I've been avoiding posting about the release date for a while, but with the release date surely getting closer (Christmas in three weeks!) is there any way we could get a preview of the new features? A screenshot or two, perhaps? I understand that with debugging, plus Apple's approval process, it's difficult to give a release date, but surely you know how the game will be different from 2010? Please??

I'd love to post screenshots and blab away about new features mate ..... but I'm not allowed to at present, sorry.

(the way it works - I let the PR chaps do their jobs and they don't tell me how to make the game .... ;) )

I'd love to post screenshots and blab away about new features mate ..... but I'm not allowed to at present, sorry.

(the way it works - I let the PR chaps do their jobs and they don't tell me how to make the game .... ;) )

Not to be rude or anything, but the game is about to be released in max, 3 weeks time by christmas. Shouldn't the PR people be doing something by now? Currently, it just feels like the game won't be out anytime soon at all.

Last year information wasn't out until the day it was released. I am assuming this is more of SEGA/Apple's doing than SI's.

Agreed. There's nothing much we can do but wait. I'm sure Marc and his team wont disappointed us with our patience. Surely he has some surprises up his sleeve installed for us.

• SI Staff
Agreed. There's nothing much we can do but wait. I'm sure Marc and his team wont disappointed us with our patience. Surely he has some surprises up his sleeve installed for us.

There are a lot of surprises waiting for people - thank you all for your patience, if it helps its equally hard for me keeping quiet as it is for you to have no information ...

I haven't posted on these forums for a long long time, but i'm still checking back here daily for any sniff of a release date, and my curiosity is being tickled by the comments from Marc about a few surprises in game! I hope they aren't a let down....

• SI Staff
I haven't posted on these forums for a long long time, but i'm still checking back here daily for any sniff of a release date, and my curiosity is being tickled by the comments from Marc about a few surprises in game! I hope they aren't a let down....

So no pressure at all on me then? ;)

Archived