Help needed - Why am I not in Europe?

OK, so my second season with the mighty Brighton and Hove Albion and I finished 6th in the Premier League - which according to the rules means qualification for the "4th qualifying round of the Euro cup"

I've not been in the competition this season!

Man Utd won the league and the FA cup

Blackburn won the Carling Cup (and didn't finish in the top 7)

Man Utd also won the Champions League

Am i missing something obvious here (other than my european competition!)

Sunderland - and on checking they have been in Europe this season...

Which is what happened to Liverpool this season. They finished 6th last season but because Birmingham won the carling cup and Stoke were runners up in the FA Cup they got Europa spots ahead of Liverpool.

ok cheers mate.

Never needed to get into the ins and outs of this being a Brighton fan!

Sounds a bit unfair though - the runners up of a knockout competition getting preferential treatment over a high league position - oh well, I'll just have to win something this year!

ok cheers mate.

Sounds a bit unfair though - the runners up of a knockout competition getting preferential treatment over a high league position - oh well, I'll just have to win something this year!

I like the idea tbh, it encourages teams who aren't good enough to grap a european spot through a league finish to push for good results in the domestic cup tournaments. Obviously it does seem a bit unfair though for the teams who do consistently better throughout a season to finish in a better league position but its only the Europa league after all. ;)

ok cheers mate.

I think they have the place for the runner up as it's traditionally more prestigious to get to the final of the FA Cup than finish 7th in the Prem. The League Cup keeps it's European place so the FA can try to keep everyone outside the top 6 in the Prem interested in it!

Archived