Please some advice here. Promoted and relegated with Sheffield W

I was promoted first year to Championship and second year to Premier League. I was using the same tactic sucessfully with first 2 and with Premiership promotion i got 40M and bought 6-7 really good players, 4-5 star rating, most of them allready around 23-24 year of age, fiting to my tactic perfectlly. It was disaster and i was loosing to teams i was suppose to be wining. I won 5 games, draw 6 and finished 18th. I kept all the time relativelly good morale with team talks, nothing in red, i also changed tactic and it helped a little for like 2-3 games and after that it went south againg.I know the team have much more potential i just don't know what happend. Do you think is like some setup in program when players even if they are good really struggle first season in premier league? They did not struggle in Championship after promoted from 1 league... I'm really upset. DO i have to try whole season for promotion again and maybe again get relegated or do i have to start new game/new team/better tommorow? :confused:

Stick it out, you obviously know what you are doing if you got promoted twice. Consecutive promotions can be difficult to mantain, perhaps you changed too much for the Premiership and some of the players who got you there could have done a better job than bringing in new players? Look at Swansea and Norwich this year.

Thanks for reply. I have no idea what went wrong. I was thinking the problem is in players, team is not glued together, but after 20 games it was the same, after 30 games the same... how long they need? Maybe they didn't trust themself but morale was high and team confidence over 70% all the time. Damn it

Stick with it. Staying in the Premier League that first season can be very tough, but another season in the Championship with those same players should mean they're much better equipped next time you get promoted back up.

The only other thing to say though is that those star ratings for players are always relative to the position and standing of your club, so 4 and 5 star players to a Championship/low Premier league team might not actually be that great compared to most Premier League players.

But anyway yeah stick with it, I think your team will be stronger for it in the long run. I did a similar thing on FM11, got promoted to the Premier League quite quickly and came straight back down again, but I stayed with the same squad and built on it and ended up doing much better when I got promoted back to the Premier League.

Well there are a few answers to your problem, but it is hard knowing which one(s) is right:

A. Coming right from League One, star rating isn't so helpful in the Premier League because a 5-star player in your team would be a 2-star player for Manchester City. Go into player reports and see if any of your coaches states how good your player is compared to the average level in the league. It is unlikely that you went from having "good L1 players" to "good Ch players" to "good PL players" in three seasons.

B. If your tactic is a very attacking one, as long as you have as good or better players than the rest, it works fine. Now you face the best players in the best league in the world and they punish you for the way you play. Tactics based on domination of possession and chances won't be so good when you aren't the best team.

C. If you lose two games in a row your players will struggle to play as well as they should have - you are already then on a losing streak and that is very hard to come out of.

D. You are probably the underdog in most matches, so the assistant will propose team talks that will reduce the risk of the morale dropping when you lose - however, this also means that you don't fire up your players, so they are less inclined to fight hard and be highly motivated. There are degrees of "playing ok" and "playing with confidence" etc.

There is no programming that makes it difficult for you to stay up the first season in PL. Use the season in Championship to create a backup tactic that is more oriented towards defensive control and counter-attacks, and one that aims at containing an opponent towards the end of matches where you'd want the result to stay the way it is. Also, get rid of more CH/L1 quality players and replace them with PL-quality players (at least with the potential to).

Archived