Valve guy post on "Game unavailable" message on Steam.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but it didn't seem to be in any of the FAQs. Anyway, a Valve employee posted in the Steam FM forum, looking for feedback on the game unavailable message, and how to get a more detailed report. Here is the post.

As many users are reporting, there is still an issue that some people get "Game is unavailable" when attempting to launch Football Manager 2012. We are still investigating why this is happening. But we could also use your help. So if anyone is getting that error, please try the following and reply back to this thread:

- Restart steam.exe with the command "-dev". Then try to launch Football Manager 2012. Running with "-dev" will produce a more useful error message, so please post that message to the forums here.

- Try changing your download region in Steam and see if that makes any difference.

- If possible, send me the file fm.exe. This can be found in <Steam>\steampps\common\football manager 2012. The file is around 40 MB, so I will need to work with you on ways to send me the file

Other useful information if you are getting this is whether you are playing from a PC or Mac.

And link to the FM forum at Steam.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=363

It's nice to see Valve doing their best to really sort this out.

Even though I'm not suffering problems I checked here and was a bit confused at the instructions to use command '-dev'. I'm sure I'm not the only one, including people who are having problems, so can someone offer an explanation. I think also that many of the people having problems with the game unavailable message are new to Steam, so a further guide would certainly help there. There's bound to be someone in the know here.

All I found was this but it may aswell be Mongolian to me.

First ensure steam is not open.

The command -dev will generally refer to right clicking on your shortcut to steam and selecting properties. Then in the box where it says target, you would add -dev (i believe from memory within the " " but im sure someone will be around to correct me if I am wrong, then you click Apply, close the dialog box, and open steam.

I believe this is the intended method (as per the force windowed option with FM games) :thup:

Archived