David Beckham

His contract expired with the LA Galaxy and he has remained without a club since, despite several efforts on my part to talk to him (I'm Arsenal). He missed the Euro's, missed the Olympics, and has just fired his agent and is still refusing to talk to me as of November 2012.

Nope, in game it's set so that he will never play again after playing for Galaxy or something to that. There was a thread a few weeks back from someone asking why he was never interested.

I assume that SI will change his database settings given his recent comments about wanting to play on, what I don't understand is why he hasn't been coded to retire rather than sit around on the player list.

I guess so, I think it's more to do with the fact that when the data lock was, he hadn't agreed to do anything or I think I had seen a few articles saying he wanted to stay in LA. If I had seen them then I guess that the only way to make sure he didn't join another club was to set him to wanting to see out the remainder of his career with the club. Therefore he could still sign a new deal with Galaxy, but not anyone else and because they hadn't set him to retire, he could still become a coach. Which I think he's changed his stance on too. I'm sure SI will change it accordingly ready for the data update patch, if there is one. It's the shame that there isn't a way to get someone to become a chairman/owner when they retire because Beckham has the chance to buy an MLS side iirc.

I'm not sure. I don't think I've used the correct term. Give me two seconds and I'll try and find the thread :thup:.

Slow Retirement?

I was a researcher ages back for SI (updating teams and players attributes etc) and there was a box you could tick for a "slow retirement", essentially ensuring that a player's current club would be his last. Think Maldini in his 40s at AC Milan. Doesn't matter what club you are, he won't be interested

Archived