Matchday Expenses.

My match day expenses for Rangers in season 2012/13 were £13,360,365

The cost of policing 6 Old Firm derby's IRL season 2010/11 was £2.4m of which the clubs paid only £300k each!

The cost of policing the average Rangers game is under £20k. 20 x 18 = £360k

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14251800

So from that i'd say that Policing matches cost Rangers no more than £1m a year max, could you tell me where the other £12.5m goes?

rangersboardroomfinance.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i imagine the match day expenses include things like paying for stewards , staff at club shop and food/drink stalls but it does seem like quite a lot to me

£12 million mate, it's a fortune! Could you check your finances if you are at a big club to compare cost?

Ok so i saved my game and added a heap of managers, Matchday expenses for various clubs were:

Man Utd - 15m

Bayern Munich - 12.8m

Marseille - 8m

Real Madrid - 16.3m

AC Milan - 9.2m

Santos - 2.3m

Boca Juniors - 4.2

What are these expenses, and why does it cost Rangers considerably more than Milan and Marseille to stage a match?

i had a quick search on internet but couldnt really find what clubs expenditure is over a season on matchday expenses , found lots on income though

the figure seems high to me and maybe have dumped other clubs spending into matchday expenses but can't really tell unless one of them comments in here

maybe it includes taxes on matchday income , but i havn't really looked too much into finances on fm12 to see if there is seperate bit for that

Tax is listed on its there (glad Rangers paying it now :rolleyes: ) the list on expenditures is pretty much exhaustive, so cant see what these consist of. Like you there is the pie and tea stalls and the bookies plus the stewards, just find it hard to believe this amounts to so much.

Tax is listed on its there (glad Rangers paying it now :rolleyes: ) the list on expenditures is pretty much exhaustive, so cant see what these consist of. Like you there is the pie and tea stalls and the bookies plus the stewards, just find it hard to believe this amounts to so much.

All the staff manning the stalls, general upkeep, promotions, advertising.

It adds up.

All the staff manning the stalls, general upkeep, promotions, advertising.

It adds up.

A million pounds a month? Doubt it.

Matchday expenses, Would the likes of running the website, publishing the monthly magazine, and newspaper ad's come out of this?

In that case what are the non-football costs £4.7m and 'other' £6.6m?

The matchday programme is one thing that would.

The staff manning the stalls will be on minimum wage for a few hours a month, peanuts.

Here at Ajax the average cost per game was €300k, so that seems a lot more reasonable than putting it down as €7.7M a season (which it comes down to). I imagine these costs are the salaries and equipment of the people manning the stalls (I imagine there are many dozens of them, both inside and outside the stadium), arranging traffic, checking tickets, doing security, preparing the entire match so everything will run smoothly, housing the media, cleaning the entire stadium and pitch afterwards (and perhaps before), printing and distributing the club magazine's, supporters flags and what other crap they do on matchdays, advertising and police perhaps as mentioned before. Perhaps even inviting and arranging transport and food for the VIP's or the cost of closing the roof (although this doesn't seem to have much effect) or putting up new boards for advertising.

There really is a massive amount of stuff that needs taking care of, so I think its reasonable for such a massive undertaking. Not sure why it should be that much for the Rangers specifically though. Besides, for me the match day income last season was just over €7M, so I guess that almost evens out.

I'm pretty sure the clubs dont actually pick up the full bill for policing, the government are trying to change this.

As you can see in this BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14251800 Rangers and Celtic only covered a fraction of the cost of policing the Old Firm matches, not many matches need as much police cover as this before during and after unfortunately.

I would have thought policing any old firm game in Glasgow would cost a bucket load more than most major games, policing Glasgow on a match day is an absolute nighmare because of the knuckle draggers that are going about down there, and please i am not in anyway calling all Rangers or Celtic fans anything like that, it is a select few but unfortunately they are the ones we hear most about.

I know some clubs up here are now not having police for some of the more low key games, any old firm game would not come under that tho, im sure clubs spend more on old firm games than any other, Aberdeen have police on all surrounding street corners for old firm games but rarely any other.

Milnerpoint - See the link to the BBC article in the original post re policing costs.

The clubs pick up only a small part of the costs, pretty sure the government/council are trying to get them to pay more as with the marching season.

Did St Johnstone not recently trial matches without police?

I work for a g4s and basically what they want to happen over the next few years is minimise policing inside the stadium and have the stewards look after it. obviously there will be police presence for the big games or where there is most danger. but games which have a low threat level like st mirren there is usually a minimal police presence.

I work for a g4s and basically what they want to happen over the next few years is minimise policing inside the stadium and have the stewards look after it. obviously there will be police presence for the big games or where there is most danger. but games which have a low threat level like st mirren there is usually a minimal police presence.

So will that increase or reduce the costs to the clubs?

On the lower leagues it gets ridiculous sometimes, you'll often get match day expenses higher than match day income.

I think it's just a money sink to be honest to prevent making the game too easy, the non-football costs,matchday expenses and "other" all seem too high.

So will that increase or reduce the costs to the clubs?

depends whats more expensive, ie with less police they need more stewards with a sia badge so they can eject people from the stadium. I imagine steward staff will cost less than policing the stadium so yeah it will reduce the costs

depends whats more expensive, ie with less police they need more stewards with a sia badge so they can eject people from the stadium. I imagine steward staff will cost less than policing the stadium so yeah it will reduce the costs

To the club?

I assumed that whilst stewards will be cheaper than police, the bill for the local authority would drop but the costs to the club would rise.

A million pounds a month? Doubt it.

Matchday expenses, Would the likes of running the website, publishing the monthly magazine, and newspaper ad's come out of this?

In that case what are the non-football costs £4.7m and 'other' £6.6m?

The matchday programme is one thing that would.

The staff manning the stalls will be on minimum wage for a few hours a month, peanuts.

A million pounds a month for advertising alone may get you on the side of about 3 buses and a billboard the size of my knuckle. It definitely does all add up.

A million pounds a month for advertising alone may get you on the side of about 3 buses and a billboard the size of my knuckle. It definitely does all add up.

Can you show us something to support this?

How is advertising a 'matchday expense' and when did you last see Rangers advertise on buses and billboards?

Edit: Just noticed you live in Bognor Regis, no idea where that is but not too close to Glasgow i think, so whatever teams are near you, do they advertise in this way? I've never seen it, only time i've seen football teams on billboards was a giant poster of John Terry in central Bangkok but that was advertising Singha lager.

I honestly would have though policing the old firm would cost a lot more than almost any other team because of the constant issues that come up in Glasgow. What ill do Chris is take over Celtic and Rangers in my save tonight 6 years in and see how the AI copes with it all, i think i have a save right at the end of last season so i should be able to get the AI figures for the season, both oldfirm clubs seem to have heaps to spend when AI controlled without having a firesale each year so i cant see them losing £10m a season because of this.

I honestly would have though policing the old firm would cost a lot more than almost any other team because of the constant issues that come up in Glasgow. What ill do Chris is take over Celtic and Rangers in my save tonight 6 years in and see how the AI copes with it all, i think i have a save right at the end of last season so i should be able to get the AI figures for the season, both oldfirm clubs seem to have heaps to spend when AI controlled without having a firesale each year so i cant see them losing £10m a season because of this.

Not losing £10 mil a year mate actually doing quite well, but what im saying is what are these expenses and why are they so much? Note my other post shows Rangers matchday expenses are £5 mil a year more than Marseille or AC Milan. Just cant be right. Lot of people talking about things like advertising and insurance but are they 'matchday expenses'? hmm not for me. And if they are then what are the 'non-football costs' and 'other' that im spending £11 million on?

Nah i wouldnt have classed advertising in match day expenses, maybe insurance but it would be pushed to be in there. Sorry i read another thread where someone said they sold £23m worth of players but still lost £10m that season with Celtic or something similar.

Again tho i still think an Old firm game would cost a lot to police purely because of the way it is in Glasgow its completely different to almost anywhere in the world because of the religious segregation. Ive been to an old firm derby and ive been to a manchester derby, i wont have to tell you which one was more intense and had a much bigger police presence not just at the stadium but around the entire city.

Nah i wouldnt have classed advertising in match day expenses, maybe insurance but it would be pushed to be in there. Sorry i read another thread where someone said they sold £23m worth of players but still lost £10m that season with Celtic or something similar.

Again tho i still think an Old firm game would cost a lot to police purely because of the way it is in Glasgow its completely different to almost anywhere in the world because of the religious segregation. Ive been to an old firm derby and ive been to a manchester derby, i wont have to tell you which one was more intense and had a much bigger police presence not just at the stadium but around the entire city.

The total cost of 6 OF derby's last year was £2.4m, £1.8m of that come out of Strathclyde police's budget....

only 300k each was paid by Gers and Tic. (ridiculous)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-14251800

hmmm strange then. Do you know if that cost includes the stewards they will hire for games? I would have though policing a stewards were separate in terms of cost? I would have said hospitality and things like that but there is no way Rangers or Celtic would pay more for that than any other club would. Must admit im a bit stumped, but like i say ill have a look on my save tonight and see if the AI controlled old firm in my game are paying as much.

Archived