Winning CL in first season with team that begins in 2nd/3rd Qualifying Phase

Looking to relive a great save I had with Rangers on FM2007 - Managed a European semi final in first season and CL semi final with cast aways from bigger clubs i.e. Hugo Viana, SWP etc.

Realising its going to be much harder in this version and that I am probably going to get stuffed if I make it into CL proper. Anyone managed to win it with one of the qualifying teams (without cheating)?

In the interests of balance, I'm managing Panathinaikos and, having come through two qualifying rounds, I have lost both of my opening group stage matches - to Man Utd and Valencia. So the game is not necessarily too easy!

Not quite the same, but 2nd season after winning the welsh league, my afan lido side lost a Cl qualifier, but went into europa "league" qualifiers, managed to scrape towards group stage, I holidayed through the matches because I didnt figure we had the minutest of chances of winning (my team is like.. about as good as a blue square north/south team). Turns out we actually beat.. fulham, the team I least expected to beat in the group 4-2.

I had to give my assistant a pat on the back for that. Then again, it's not the first time my assistants have done such a feat. Such as a Northern ireland side in FM2011 with a mixture of championship and league 1 quality players beating Real Madrid in a group stage game :p. I love my assistants when they pull off something like that completely to my surprise.

Archived