Promoted, and had wage limit DECREASED?

Ok, I just spent the last year and half years with Reading in league 1, building them back up from whatever happened to them before I was hired midseason. They were and still are in some financial trouble, but not too bad. Anyways, I get them back to championship in the 2nd season by winning league 1... Here I am in June and just got my start of season expectations email.... They LOWERED my wages available! I went from 72k (sorry, using dollars) to 70, which after the automatic promotion increases leaves me already 12K over the limit! And I have not even signed anyone yet and most of my reserve team is leaving... This is crazy..

I dont know what to do... Sell the only players I have that may even give me the slightest chance to avoid relegation (fat chance of selling them anyways, nobody ever will even pay me face value for my players), or just resign and start over somewhere else... Because there is no way I'm winning anything that that wage limit in Championship, where most teams are spending 10x that. I was not expecting some massive jump, but this is just crazy.

Same thing happened to me.

I took over struggling Woking, got them promoted and my wage bill dropped from about 5.8k per week to 5k per week.

However, we've been losing about 15-20k a month and we're 200k in debt so the drop in wages is understandable. I could do with getting into the 3rd round of the FA Cup against one of the big boys, or get promoted to League Two, trim the wage bill to the bare bones, or sell some players.

Same with Staines...got promoted from the BSS to the BSP and had a moderate increase in wages. Then just got promoted to L2 and have a $50K decrease in my wage budget; however, we also went go, so all my players now want full time contracts. This including promotion clauses...I'm not $180K over budget with only half a squad...I also made over $800K last year and have good finances...not sure why my budget is suffering...but you deal with it... :)

I've had the same at Stockport, but they have been in debt since I came. (Only just getting their finances on the positive side)

When I first took the job it was £24k, then at the end of the season it was dropped to £16.5k, then at the end of that season it was dropped to £13k.

But I guess it's realistic to be fair, they need to adapt to the non League the longer they are down there.

I hope the wage budget doesn't drop if I get promoted though/ or if I'm managing a team that's not in any debt etc.

Archived