Red Dawn: The Rise of Australian Football

Adelaidean

Adelaide%20UTD%20logo(primary).jpg

Red Dawn: The Rise of Australian Football

Hello, and welcome to my career thread! I hope to chronicle the journey of my chosen club, Adelaide United, through Australia and hopefully to the summit of Asia and, eventually, the world! First, a bit of background, about the club and about myself.

Adelaide United Football Club was founded in 2003 to take the place of Adelaide City in the now-defunct National Soccer League, and was one of the founding members of the newly-created A-League in 2005. The club finished the 2005/06 season as Premiers but only placed 3rd in the finals series and went on to enjoy further success in the 2006/07 and 2008/09 seasons when the club reached the Grand Final on two occasions, finishing runner-up in both with 6-0 and 1-0 losses to fierce rivals Melbourne Victory. On the international stage, Adelaide has traditionally been Australia's most successful club, reaching the group stages of the Asian Champions League four times (2007, 2008, 2010, 2012), and and making it to the Final in the 2008 edition but losing out to Gamba Osaka 5-0 on aggregate. Adelaide also placed 5th in the subsequent Club World Championship with wins over New Zealand semi-professional side Waitakere United and Egyptian side Al-Ahly, with only a loss to Gamba Osaka preventing a dream matchup with then European champions Manchester United. The club is affectionately known as the Reds, hence the thread title.

I myself am an Australian student, with a passion for football and in particular for Football Manager (haven't we all? :D). I selected Adelaide United as they are my hometown club and my favourite club in real life, and some problems with my Chester save have meant I have had to start over from the beginning and I didn't have the motivation to restart with Chester, so I thought I'd give a try to the club I had a great save with on FM11. In my last save with Adelaide, I took the team to the A-League, Asian Champions League and Club World Championship titles by 2021, and had some really quality players in the side, one of which was selected for the World XI whilst under my management! I also managed Australia late in that career, a team starring that World XI player (who was Brazilian but was strangely never capped for them, so took Australian nationality), qualifying for the World Cup but FM12 was released before I got to the tournament proper.

This save is set up on the original database with no edits. I only ever use fake players when playing Football Manager, and this time is no different. I find that it brings a new and challenging dimension to a save, and all saves end up like that anyway. I have loaded every country and league in the game on view-only, with the obvious exception of Australia, which is playable, but I do not intend to leave the Reds. This career is solely about trying to reach the top with my hometown club and with my nation of birth Australia. The database selected is "large", with the additional custom modifications of loading top players from every continent and all players of Australian nationality.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy my career! :cool:

Club Information

Facilities

Manager Profile

Adelaide United Overall Best XI

[b]STCL[/b]                    [b]STCR[/b]                              
                                                         TBD                      TBD                            
                                                         0.00                    0.00                        

[b]LM[/b]                      [b]LCM[/b]                      [b]RCM[/b]                      [b]RM[/b]      
                                 TBD                     TBD                      TBD                     TBD                
                                0.00                     0.00                    0.00                     0.00

[b]LB[/b]                      [b]LCB[/b]                      [b]RCB[/b]                      [b]RB[/b]         
                                 TBD                     TBD                      TBD                     TBD
                                0.00                     0.00                    0.00                     0.00

[b]GK[/b]
                                                                      TBD

Tactical Discussion

Here I will discuss the tactics that I intend to use throughout my career. I intend to use one main tactic, a 4-5-1 with a DM and wingers which I will detail below. I also have a reserve tactic, a 4-2-3-1 (again with wingers, basically the same as the 4-5-1 formation but with the DM shifted to AM), which I created purely to stop my Assistant Manager whining ;).

AdelaideUnitedFCTactics_Overview.png

This is the main tactical setup I will be using and I doubt that I'll change it at any point, it is the same tactic I have used in previous FMs with some success. If anyone wishes to ask any questions about my tactical setup, please feel free.

In regards to training, I use my own training schedules and endeavour to employ the best coaches possible, and have the match preparation box permanently set to "Teamwork". You can never have too much teamwork :).

I will be endeavouring to update my career in three stages per season; Pre-Season, Mid-Season and Post-Season. Any tidbits I find interesting I will post in the time between updates.

Pre-Season 2011/12 - Adelaide United - Hyundai A-League

So it's been an interesting pre-season at Hindmarsh Stadium as I've looked to bolster the squad to a competitive level ahead of the new season. I inherited a squad which had reasonable quality for the division, with a few standout players in the form of Chris Shaw, Francis, Vincent van Putten and Dean Skeffington. I immediately noticed that our marquee and Australian marquee spots were being used, so I moved Skeffington from his Australian marquee contract to a regular full-time contract and gave Shaw the Australian marquee spot, freeing up a marquee allocation to use should I find a really good player. I was given a transfer budget of $100k and the division caps wages at $69,415 p/w, so I immediately looked to move on a few players who were unlikely to be in my plans for the season. I released several sub-par players and I feel I did well to get $3.4m out of Betis for striker Andreas Asbacka and $500k from Celtic for goalkeeper Jaap Gorter, both of whom were taking up a foreign spot (each squad may have a maximum of 5 foreign players) that I felt could be put to better use. Key signings from the free-transfer market included Uruguayan-Australian goalkeeper Alvaro Martinez and defender Stewart Smith, as well as Australian international Brett Edwards who should be a force down the left this season. I also managed to secure Cameroonian striker Marius Towa, Bahraini centre-back Yousef Abdul-Aziz and Omonoia's experienced and versatile Australian Dwayne Doyle (I think his parents were born in Squaresville, with a name like that... reminds me of Red Dwarf - Dwayne Dibley?!? :D), all also on frees. The sales mentioned above gave me a total of about $1.5m to play with in the transfer market, so I brought in young midfielder John Jones for $60k, experienced centre-back Anthony Bennett for $40k, his new defensive partner James Yates for $550k, backup full-back David Yates (no relation) for $50k and, finally, young Venezuelan right-back Alexander Flores for $650k. The rest of the signings were youth prospects or reasonable backups who will spend most of the season with the youth team, I was originally going to sign a German right-back as marquee who went on to sign for Werder Bremen, but I found Flores first who was younger, cheaper and more talented. Therefore, I still have a marquee allocation remaining (but no foreign spots), I just didn't find anyone that much better than our current squad to use it on.

We managed a clean sweep of our pre-season fixtures, although the majority of the matches did not present much difficulty and I would have preferred a larger scoreline in one or two. I was pleased though with our run-out against Melbourne Victory, turning in a 2-1 victory at their place. Immediately after signing, 18-year old James Yates and 23-year-old John Jones won call-ups to the national side, with the former earning his first cap for the Socceroos in a World Cup Qualifier against Uzbekistan. The board conceded to my requests to increase the staffing allowance and improve the scouting range, which played a major role in allowing me to sign some of the above players. I subsequently revamped the backroom staff, with every one of the original coaches, scouts and physios leaving to be replaced by more effective non-football department members. Shortly after his arrival, assistant manager Davide Colonnelli made me feel a bit less optomistic about the team by telling me that an obscure 54-year old Portuguese striker named Bruno would be an improvement to our current playing stocks. :D

The national team is on a winning run of four games, with victories in all of their World Cup Qualifiers so far and in a solid runout against Malaysia. It will be a few years before my reputation is high enough to take charge of the Socceroos, but being Australian I like to keep up with their results and particularly keep an eye on their players who may want to join me in the future.

Fixtures - Pretty good, as expected etc.

Transfers (2) - Lots of action here, particularly on the ins.

Squad - Fairly good all around the park, I reckon they can keep up a title challenge.

Youth Squad - As mentioned above, some prospects (I like to bring them in early so they get citizenship quicker) and some backups.

Key Players

James Yates - Was languishing in South America, if I can get his physicals up he'll be a great player for club and country.

Alexander Flores - Bought from FAR Rabat in Morocco, could develop into a really good player.

Brett Edwards - He'll be playing on the left-wing, looks very good for this level.

Vincent van Putten - One of the originals, rated as our best player.

Marius Towa - He's not as fast as he could be, but his physicals should dominate A-League defenders.

Liverbird93 and B.W.G: Thanks, I hope to do the club proud :D

ron6632: Thank you, I attended the Perth Glory School of Recruiting Past-It Veterans [/australianjoke]

*cough* robbie fowler*cough*

LOLLLL i just read his wiki page and apparently he is player/manager of a team is Thailand

Found this player while searching, what a quality name! :lol:

Ha! Awesome!

Good luck with this thread, will be following with interest. :thup:

With regard to your tactics - any reason why you're deciding to stick to just the one tactic throughout the career? I generally have a few favorites but I tend to adjust to suit my squad/opponents.

Looking good at the half way mark :thup:. With those couple of youngsters (Nene and Jones), things are looking bright for the future. Personally, I'd play Nene in midfield as he looks capable of pulling the strings.

With regards to press interaction...I tend to avoid it. Not because I'm 'shy' but because it's an in game feature which I find boring and monotonous. If the questions were different then maybe I'd take the press conferences but I just let my assistant take them.

Congrats on the promotion! I just checked out that youth prospect you had come up and...wow!! Suprised his parents didn't put him a better academy!! ;) Or maybe they knew of your brilliance and how you'd move the club upwards...

Wow, only just realised I have read this whole thread but haven't posted yet! :D

So first of all well done on promotion in your first season, with thanks to your amazing player John Jones. Future Welsh player for sure! Good luck for the new season and lets hope for a few more John Jones', maybe the Latvian version...Janis Jones? :p

Archived