Can't play game

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I didn't really know where else to try. Since getting FM12 I managed to put aside my negativity about steam and get on with things... BUT

Tonight I turned steam into online mode to try and get the update sorted and now when I try to load FM online or offline I get two windows open (by the way I'm on Mac Snow Leopard):

- 1 says it's validating some files and then it says "all files successfully validated"

- the second window says "The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes

can anyone help - I thought that steam was not supposed to stop me from playing the game.

(I've tried to double click, open from my dock, right click and click play game offline and online and the same messages)

HELP

Thanks Matt,

Still no good - changed from London to Manchester and then Netherlands... if it helps it ways ready to play in the game library and when I click to play it changes to validating 0% then says servers busy and the validating then says complete.

Thanks Matt! I do love helpful community folks! :D

- not really to the rest of you nice folks, more to those who have forced this situation on us well meaning, paying customers are being punished by the companies because of 'pirates' (apparently). £30 for a game I cannot play and it would seem no way to get help.

sorry Matt I don't know what you mean.

- not really to the rest of you nice folks, more to those who have forced this situation on us well meaning, paying customers are being punished by the companies because of 'pirates' (apparently). £30 for a game I cannot play and it would seem no way to get help.

Click the link I posted, and read down to the section titled "Renaming Clientregistry.blob" - was all I meant.

I can't find the files or folder on my mac - seriously messed up!

On Mac

If the issue is isolated to a few Steam games, please exit from Steam and go to the ~/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps and delete any listed .ncf files for the specific games. Once complete, please restart Steam to test the issue.

Yes - it's Steams place for saving your configuration files. If it can't find them it just recreates them - no risk.

I have removed the .ncf files from my hard drive, logged back into steam, click onto the FM12 shortcut & it advises me to install the game. I thought there was no risk, or is there something I should do?

It will re-download the patch and FM should work again!

---

Mine is working again!!

Followed Matt's link, about the blob.

Exit from Steam and go to the ~/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps and delete any listed .ncf files for the specific games.

Once you have deleted them, re-open stream from THE STREAM LINK not the FM12 shortcut. Then it will ask you to INSTALL again, this will re-download the patch and will hopefully make FM work again!

Do you want me to re-install the game. Won't that over-ride the previous installation? I have restored those .ncf files back into the SteamApp folder. I have re-logged back into steam & according to steam, the last time I played was 26.10.11. The day I bought the game. So it looks like I have deleted that save, or at the very least, cannot access the save, or FM12 period.

Is there anything else...

lucky you! i cant even open up steam! its a joke! i couldnt play fm all day yesterday as i thought it was "updating" , so after leaving my computer on all night , i tried it today and its still not connecting. Bloody joke. i reinstalled FM and got to load a game earlier. then after i went to go back into my game tonight steam wont connect again and fm wont load saying steam error! dont know how to fix this and have been on here for ages looking for instructions, just find them quite complex. bring back loaded straight from the disk i say~!

lucky you! i cant even open up steam! its a joke! i couldnt play fm all day yesterday as i thought it was "updating" , so after leaving my computer on all night , i tried it today and its still not connecting. Bloody joke. i reinstalled FM and got to load a game earlier. then after i went to go back into my game tonight steam wont connect again and fm wont load saying steam error! dont know how to fix this and have been on here for ages looking for instructions, just find them quite complex. bring back loaded straight from the disk i say~!
All of you are going to have to bear with me on this. The stream link Terry01234 referred to is on steam...right? Where the hell is it?

Both of you - need to read here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5483-YUFN-0521

Read down the page to where it says "Renaming Clietregistry.blob".

Follow those instructions to the letter...:)

I believe the only real alternative, is to play FM12 while offline with steam. I am not bothered about the achievements on steam, or the future updates. I just want to play the game, with the little time I have in the evenings.

Matt, please could you confirm, how I can make this a reality. Are there any techy procedures for going offline in future. If this is the only way I can play my beloved game, then this will suffice. Cheers all for your input and help...

I believe the only real alternative, is to play FM12 while offline with steam. I am not bothered about the achievements on steam, or the future updates. I just want to play the game, with the little time I have in the evenings.

Matt, please could you confirm, how I can make this a reality. Are there any techy procedures for going offline in future. If this is the only way I can play my beloved game, then this will suffice. Cheers all for your input and help...

The most effective way I've found is to boot Steam and then FM before booting my modem, you need to be patient while it gets there but it does, then boot your modem (it won't bring Steam back online)

Sorry Kriss, it would appear I am not having the best of nights, as I have to get everybody to re-phrase themselves. Not really a tech guy, if you know what I mean.

How do I boot steam, before booting my modem. Or have I just publicly made an ass of myself.

I am not bothered about steam, is there anyway I can play FM offline? I believe I saw a thread a week or so ago from SI staff, explaining to forum users, if they no longer wish to use steam, they don't, providing they have a disc version. This is what I would like to happen, so I can get going & you guys don't have to waste anymore of your time.

Hang on - if the game isn't showing as installed, you can't play it at all, can you? Or can you start it now?

Matt - If you are referring to me rather than drewzo, then FM should be on my hard drive...right, but not on steam, so I should be able to play, providing I am offline.

Matt - If you are referring to me rather than drewzo, then FM should be on my hard drive...right, but not on steam, so I should be able to play, providing I am offline.

Yeah, but to set it to offline mode you have to actually get into Steam. It's easy to do but I thought that you didn't have Steam or the game actually working?

Tbh Matt, since I have removed those .ncf files, everything has gone to s...

My game library for steam has gone. It has no records of Empire Total War or FM12. I know I haven't un-installed the games, that is for sure. They are on my hard drive, but steam doesn't seem to acknowledge that. I have been successful in running Empire TW, just test that, but FM...well I don't know. All I can say is that it is on the C drive, but not on steam & following those instructions, you showed me earlier, hasn't work for me, at least.

I am not over keen on the point of re-installing. Since deleting the .ncf files I have not been to view FM in the library on steam.

Archived