Memorable Cup ties

Who doesn't love a great cup tie? Two legged cup matches are played across the globe, but every once and a while one sticks out in the memory. What's your most memorable cup tie in recent memory?

My own happened in the Champions League with my Derby side. The side struggled after being promoted battling relegation throughout the season, they did however win the FA Cup with a late Fabianski own goal sending it to Penalties after Arsenal had lead 2-0 in extra time. After bedding in the young side took the Premier League by surprise the next season rushing for the title in the finals games of the season stealing the title last season from 6th a mere month earlier in a bizarre season where the big teams cancelled each other out. The side was dumped unceremoniously out of the Europa League by a rampaging Marseilles side who ended up taking out the competition.

This season the side had a shot of the Champions League and had stormed through their group in style to meet Galatasaray in the round of 16. The side come through a tight tie to face off against AC Milan. AC Milan came out swinging and had my Derby side well and truly on the back foot in the first 20 minutes in Derby. After having 3 goals ruled out (two offside and one foul) Pato apparently had enough and wanted a shower to cool off and as such took out my centerhalf. My top striker... Let's call him Cierro beat 3 players before tricking the keeper to put the ball in an empty net. Necerino now realised that Pato had the right idea and joined him with a challenge on my captain.

At 1-0 up against a 9 man AC Milan with 30 minutes on the clock things were certainly looking good, but of course things had to change. My captain returned the favour bringing down Ibrahimović to give them a penalty which he converted. AC Milan despite only having 9 men then took back control even having another goal (number 4) ruled out by half time.

After a good "talk" my side were ready to try and repair their Pride in front of a full house at Pride Park. The side took complete and total control of the match and Milan looked a beaten team. This was all well and good but without the go ahead goal it meant very little. Minutes past and chance after chance was butchered before Ibrahimović repaid another favour giving my side a penalty with 10 minutes to go. Sinclair was on the spot to make them pay and hammered it right into the bottom of the upright. Cierro of course didn't take this lying down and took matters into his own hands hammering a 35 yard strike home minutes later to claim a 2-1 win against a 9 man AC Milan.

It was of course only half time and the second leg promised to be even better with Milan having a point to prove to their supporters. To my surprise they looked flat and disinterested whilst my side came out firing. Cierro yet again dancing past the last man to make it 1-0 on the day and 3-1 on agg. Boateng, taking intruction from his team mates took out my captain (man this guy must be annoying) to earn himself his early bath. From here the tie was over, AC Milan never recovered. My Rams side dominated but couldn't quite end the tie with that second goal which would have made them need 4 goals to win, but they were a beaten side.

Too Long? First Match: Derby 2 - 1 AC Milan Pato and Nocerino Sent Off and a penalty for Milan, Second Match: AC Milan 0 - 1 Derby Boateng sent off. 3 red cards for Milan in 2 games.

My most recent memorable one: Losing 2-1 to Arsenal in the FA Cup 3rd round. (I'm Tonbridge Angels in the BSS). Arsenal had someone sent off for a two footed tackle when I was a 1-0 down.

Most annoyingly of all is that I got the 'fans are slightly concerned' message on the match reaction page. It's a shame that the game doesn't take into account the fact that you're a lower league club when you lose games like that.

Being in the Russian League (managing Anzi) it was a Europa League Quarter Final, having a nice run through up to that point avoiding the 'top' teams in the competition then I came up against Liverpool. My side was on a good run of form going into the game and I was hoping we could keep a clean sheet and win the game one or two nil and aim to score at Anfield and see how that happened.

Things started off badly, losing a key midfielder and central defender before 30 mins I was fearing the worst, got to half time and it was still 0-0 with Liverpool having the better of the game in the second half it looked inevitable they would score and on 72 mins there was a goal, much to my delight it was Robert Huth with a towering header from a corner. If I could keep a clean sheet I would be delighted considering the loss of players due to injures. There was another goal on 77 mins but sadly it was a crucial away goal to Liverpool. Things got worse for me as on 85 mins I lost another defender due to injury and I figured Liverpool would grab a second, however almost immediatly following the injury Ganso popped up and score giving me the lead back.

Liverpool then went on the attack trying to grab a second goal to pull back level but it back fired on them and I grabbed a third, happy with a 3-1 lead I just tried to see out the game and in injury time I managed to sneak a fourth!! The game finished 4-1, I was in dream land as were the fans and board!!

29fb0co.png

Suffered a 1-0 loss at Anfield and progressed into the Semi's where I faced AC Milan losing 4-2 away and yet to play the second leg.

Archived