Is it possible to run FM without Steam? Steam is eating my systems resources!

Steam is compulsory not just for activation but to also play the game.

You could try to run it in 'Offline Mode' and see if that diminshes the amount of resources it uses on your system (details of how to do this are in the official FAQ).

If by resources you mean memory, and you are running Vista or Windows 7 then you need to understand that processes will take as much memory as is available. When you actually run FM it will get priority over memory usage, and background processes such as Steam will have to make do with less.

Steam uses a tiny amount of memory, runs at like 2-3% on my computer which is nothing. So tired of all the threads where people complain about steam for no reason.

2-3% on your computer doesn't mean anything to anyone but you, everybody has different systems. I'm tired of all the people who seem to think that because they're fine then everybody else must be making up their problems about Steam. There have been literally thousands of posts about problems with Steam, yet some people continue to think that there isn't a problem, I think you'll find most people who are complaining are complaining for a reason.

Most people are complaining because they object to being forced to use steam, not because it's actually giving them problems. If steam is using up too much resources on your computer then i would question if your computer is even fit to run FM in the first place.

I was about to ask something similar. My objection is that Steam places the game within my Program Files directory, and not my handy GAMES directory! :) As I understand it, the Steam thing is supposed to be a one time validity check on the boxed copies of the game, so you won't need to have Steam installed after that, or am I wrong about this? I'd like to install the game in the old school way, (C:\games\fm2012) validate it with Steam, then get rid of it. But as I bought this game through steam, that doesn't seem to be an option.

(@Bradley21: )Maybe that's true on windows; on my macbook steam idles at around 12-15% CPU usage. Not a case of a horribly low-spec computer, Steam is just like that on OS X.

(The game runs just fine anyway, and I say that as someone who likes a big gameworld. Though it'd run even better if I could reclaim another 10% CPU or so from Steam's grasp)

@Grobbel: No, there's no way to run it without Steam. As I understand it this year's game is built using steamworks, and so Steam is effectively a part of the game (or a dependency at any rate) - without Steam you basically don't have the whole game, it's not a case of steam just validating the installation.

I was about to ask something similar. My objection is that Steam places the game within my Program Files directory, and not my handy GAMES directory! :) As I understand it, the Steam thing is supposed to be a one time validity check on the boxed copies of the game, so you won't need to have Steam installed after that, or am I wrong about this? I'd like to install the game in the old school way, (C:\games\fm2012) validate it with Steam, then get rid of it. But as I bought this game through steam, that doesn't seem to be an option.

Steam places games in their own sub-directory of a sub-directory of the Steam directory, so where the game files end up depends on where you installed Steam in the first place.

Archived