No intention of joining club should not be the case

I've had my reserve team playing friendlies against local sides to keep match fitness up, but I also use it as a tool to find local youngsters that might be able to step up to Conference level. What's got me puzzled is that every player seemingly has no intention of joining my team, even though we're at least 2/3 levels above any team they currently play for.

I just found a young keeper that has a lot about him and is playing for a club in the Southern Premier and he wouldn't want to join a Conference club. Surely he'd jump at the chance or does the game take in to account the fact that he may work and not want to go full time? It's a maybe. I could sign him part time if need be.

I'm puzzled at the number of lower league players who have this in their scout reports.

Is he flatly refusing to discuss terms or just asking for terms that you cannot afford?

I haven't tried to sign any of these players yet, I simply cannot afford to yet. They are merely prospects for next season. It's in the scout report that it says 'would have no intention of signing for our club'. It is virtually ever player I find at a lower level.

I wonder if it's just text and they will sign if I offer a contract. I may have to examine it further.

I've found that if you go onto their profile and click "offer contract", they refuse to discuss, but if you do a scout report and click the "offer contract" button on the news item, they will discuss terms. Not sure if this is a loophole but it seems to work even with players from higher leagues.

I've found that if you go onto their profile and click "offer contract", they refuse to discuss, but if you do a scout report and click the "offer contract" button on the news item, they will discuss terms. Not sure if this is a loophole but it seems to work even with players from higher leagues.

Can anyone confirm this?

What sort of contract are they on currently? It may be that they are on amateur terms, and feel that the move up to e.g. full time would not be financially rewarding enough for them to give up their actual careers outside of football.
In my view this would be the most likely situation, it's a decision my Dad actually made in the 80's.

What sort of contract are they on currently? It may be that they are on amateur terms, and feel that the move up to e.g. full time would not be financially rewarding enough for them to give up their actual careers outside of football.

All these players are on part time contracts. I wondered the same thing myself.

The only thing I can think is that they would expect to end up sitting on the bench or even in the reserves. They are currently getting first team football, all be it at a lower level, and perhaps they just prefer that. I just think that a young player in the Southern Premier would jump at Conference football.

I looking at this from the viewpoint of a Bournemouth fan. My club has been signing a number of young non-league footballers recently, including Charlie Sheringham, and they've all moved because they couldn;t turn down the offer of a higher level of football.

I wonder if there is a bug of sorts at work here.

I haven't tried to offer a contract to any of these players yet. I can't afford the transfer fee and they are still in contract. It will be interesting when I can do so. I really want one of the players, a hotly tipped little Brazilian forward.

Archived