Complaint About Steam

I have been an avid Championship / Football Manager fan for many years now and I have got to say that I think the latest version is the best yet which is why I have to apologise to moan but I would like to say that Steam has to be the single most frustrating piece of software I have ever used in my whole life.

I am not a technical person at all and have found this to make the current game literally unplayable (because steam won't allow me to!).

Over the past 2 weeks I have found myself staring in dismay at error message after error message and I am in the process of reinstalling Football Manager ... due to yet another error (when I would love to be getting my teeth stuck into the second season of my Ajax save however I feel that the save file has been lost during the latest c*ck up).

I play FM on my laptop which means I do not have access to the internet all the time. My first problem was Steam's Offline mode simply does not work unless you alter settings. Ironically I needed the internet to find this out in the end. Great...

Then when I got home I decided to switch to the online mode and everything completely c*cked up. I get the message saying the "Game is currently unavailable. Please Try Later" ... WTF? I pay £30 to play a computer game and they say sorry it's unavailable?? :mad:

This went on for 2 days until I googled it. Surprise, surprise I am not alone and there's even youtube videos dedicated to solving the issues. Started going through the solutions one by one, none working until eventually I restarted the computer, clicked steam and it said Updating... then it got to 99% and my whole computer crashed with a problem with the hard drive ... great.

Luckily I have a friend who is good with computers and he did a technical System Restore. Now Steam will load but FM won't load at all, also each time I click it it tells me I am logging on from a new computer so check my emails... which I am not.

So that's been the last week for me ... haven't been able to play Football Manager ... lost my bl**dy save game (2 seasons worth) ... broke my f'ing computer ... wasted hours and hours of my spare time and got nowhere! :mad:

Incidentally whilst I have been typing Steam has come up with another ambiguous error message saying it cannot reinstall .. I am now uninstalling and going to start all over again.

Once again terribly sorry for the rant, if someone could help me get to the bottom of this terrible mess and let me play the game it would be much appreciated...

On a positive note look up Marc-Andre ter Stegen ... World Class :cool:

To be clear I doubt Steam broke your computer if you had a problem with the hard drive. I don't think Steam can break hard drives.

Have you contacted Steam themselves? There are forums and there is a support service. I have used their support and they were quite prompt in looking into a situation I had concerning my IP address. There was also a Steam dev on the forums for FM asking people to contact him with details on the 'game unavailable' error message. At the end of the day it will help them to fix problems if they have the details.

Just to pin point the part where you had to carry out a system restore.

1.) Steam has recognised that it has already been downloaded

2.) The System Restore took the computer back in time to before Steam was downloaded

3.) Therefore Steam cannot find its files on your computer, so you get a message saying you are installing on a new computer

4.) Check your emails. They should have sent you a code that you imput to varify that it is you and not someone trying to hack your account

5.) Once code is entered Steam should begin to download

I had a few problems with my computer and had to re-install windows so it classed I was on a new computer.

Archived