FA Cup Way Overemphasized

As Arsenal in my first season, we lost early on in the FA Cup, which the board didn't like. We went on to nearly win the Premier Division (went down to the last day and we came in second, two points behind Man U), and then went all the way to the Champions League final before losing to Real Madrid.

My confidence level is 47%, and the only thing they noted is our 'disappointing performance in the FA Cup'. Then I got an update that our club reputation had dropped a few spots in the overall rankings because of our disappointing performance in the FA Cup.

So my reputation takes a hit even though I finish 2nd in the Premier League and make it to the CL final?? This is not right. If this happened to Arsenal in real life, fans and board alike would be jumping for joy.

I didn't have any choice in setting expectations, the board told me they expected a title challenge, final of the FA Cup, and quarter-final of Champions League.

But pre-season expectations are supposed to be a private agreement between you and the board. That shouldn't have anything to do with club reputation.

Think the only problem is this: "Then I got an update that our club reputation had dropped a few spots in the overall rankings because of our disappointing performance in the FA Cup."

Board being privately dissapointed is fine, but an early cup exit should not result in a reputation drop when league performance was up to scratch.

I just don't buy that. If the game is smart enough to think that way, it should be smart enough to realize:

1) Arsenal is pretty good if it was able to demolish Man United in the CL semifinal and make it all the way to the final, which it hasn't done since 2006.

2) 2nd in CL, 2nd in Premier League, winners of League Cup is a very successful season, especially given Arsenal's overall situation this year.

I think it's safe to say that if Arsenal achieved that in real life this year, their reputation would probably increase as opposed to decrease. In my game, Barcelona didn't even make it to the semifinal of the CL; why are they still the no. 1 reputation team in the game?

Yes, this is exactly it. Nobby_McDonald, you didn't read my original post. Board expectations and club reputation should have no relationship to one another.

I've not got FM2012 but I know the FA Cup is quite highly ranked in terms of the domestic competitions. In FM2011 it started in 6th place, behind the Premier League, Bundesliga, La Liga, Ligue Une and Serie A (in no particular order). Hence a poor performance would lead to a slight drop in reputation.

It would be more than counterbalanced by reaching the Champions League final though when not expected to. Second in the Premier League is about what is expected, so reputation there would probably not change.

Archived