The adventures of a high profile youngster

So, I've been watching the adventures of a particular youngster... Let's call him... Wanny Delbeck, a young striker at Man United. It is interesting to see how his greed based on his reputation may potentially be ending his career.

He spent the first season of the game (2011-12) on loan at FC Twente were he made 17 appearances and scored a mere 3 goals. He appeared in the League cup for United the next season before returning to FC Twente where he again failed to fire failing to score. He played a small role in United's tilt at the title in 2013-14, however he again failed to score and ultimately was released by United. This was where the fun began.

Having won the title in bizarre fashion with Derby the previous season (Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U imploded, Arsenal and Man City cancelled eachother out and failed to fire against Chelsea and co whilst Tottenham took advantage before a late flurry by my Derby side took them from 6th to first) I thought I might offer him a trial, see if he was worthwhile. After failing to score pre season I thought I'd give him a year contract to see if he had anything about him. He had a bit of pace, surely he'd have a use. I get to the contract offer and he demands ~£40k a week, £1.5 mil "loyalty bonus" and the agent wants £2 mil. I of course told him to bugger off.

He followed his up by then rejecting several clubs including Man City, before going on trial with runners up Tottenham, who didn't offer him a contract. Now in September he went on trial with West Brom. They offered him a contract but he again rejected them. He then reject Sunderland, Werder Bremen, Atletico Madrid and a series of other high profile clubs.

Now in late October I thought I'd offer him another deal, now with a bit of an injury crisis I thought he'd be useful cover. He now wanted £50k a week with a £2 mil "loyalty bonus", £3 mil agent fee etc. I of course told him to again go away, but it was bizarre that after months without a club he now wanted more money. He is currently on trial with Tottenham again after the free transfer deadline has passed. My bet is that he'll announce retirement in the next few months as of course, that's a better option than not getting paid a pretty top end wage eh? Very odd...

yep.. odd behaviour due to his personality i guess... something hard to solve but that nevertheless, needs sorting..

i'd add the tevez issue to this too.. he may be a git irl but he will definately be getting a game somewhere this season or next ... as it is in game currently he just stays transfer listed, gets fined a lot and fails to sign with any club due to his wage demands...

same goes for kaka... no-one can afford to sign him and he just stays listed.... permanently

I don't even understand why he'd have that expectation though. Again, he failed miserably for 3 years and got released. Surely at that point you'd think: "Maybe I should try to rebuild my career at a lower level...", not "I need the biggest contract I've had at the very highest level!"

I remember the same sort of problem with Eddie Johnson (american who was at Fulham for a while) in FM09 or FM10 where he'd get offer after offer but in the end decide to just call it quits. Not sure if it was a bug or a random incident but he was really good in that version.

Personally I think the issue is that the basic engine that determines what kind of wages players will accept lacks common sense, that and how a far they're willing to drop down to get football.

In this case however it is clearly one of how much money this player wants. If he accepted as low as £10k a week he'd still earn more a week than he likely would a year in any other profession considering his age. Why he would turn down offers from the biggest clubs in Europe is just silly and shows a massive issue in how the game works still.

Archived