Withdrawing from competitions

I've always wondered why this isn't allowed in the game. It is something that has happened in the past and not even the most distance past, so why isn't it allowed in the game. Say for example a team has a small club, a high match load or sees no benefit in the... say... Community Shield (Arsenal 1971). In the instance of Arsenal withdrawing the Champions of the second division Leicester played Liverpool, which Leicester won. Probably the most famous withdrawal in recent times (from memory) was Man United's withdrawal from the 1999-2000 FA Cup citing their participation in the Club World Championship if my memory serves me correctly. Its extremely rare, but it has happened and there is no reason it shouldn't be in future versions.

Of course there is the other side of the coin. Possible sanctions (if any currently exist) against sides, loss of confidence from Fans and of course board permission to do so. Maybe you could approach your board about it and have reasons such as:

- High workload from [competition - Maybe a drop down menu] would mean we'd be unlikely to succeed in either if we participated in both, so I suggest we withdraw from [competition - again, a drop down menu]

- [competition - drop down menu] is worthless to our club and I see no benefit in participating

- I feel if we withdrew from [competition - drop down menu] we'd have an advantage in [competition - drop down menu]

Again, this would have to have some fairly severe repercussions, especially if done more than once and particularly from the fans. It should also be particularly difficult to convince the board of this unless you're basically a club legend.

So yeah, basically it has happened and there's no reason it shouldn't be an option in the game.

Those older incidents are by no means a justification. 1971 is a very long time ago and in 1999-2000 it was under special circumstances (the FA even asked United to drop the FA Cup in favour of the CWC). Under the current competition rules and schedules, it's unheard of that top level sides withdraw from competitions, so I don't see why it should be in the game.

I can imagine it might happen at lower levels though.

Agree that given how rare in real life, it wouldn't be a high priority to add to the game. In FM, as more often happens in real life, teams deal with such situations by putting out a reserve or youth team rather than withdrawing entirely.

If I'm not mistaken don't clubs apply to be in the FA cup for example? All the Premiership and Football Leagues club entries are automatically accepted though. So technically I guess a club could choose not to apply.

Actually this is from www.thefa.com

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompetitions/TheFACup/~/media/Files/PDF/The FA Cup And Comps/Competition Rules 2011-12/FACupRules2011-12.ashx/FACupRules2011-12.pdf

7. PROVISIONS FOR WITHDRAWING FROM THE COMPETITION

(a) Any Club intending to withdraw from the Competition must notify its intention to do so to The Association and the opposing Club, not less than eight days before the date fixed for playing the match.

(b) A Club failing to comply with this shall be reported to the Professional Game Board, who shall have power to compel such offending Club to pay the expenses incurred and to take such other action as the Professional Game Board considers appropriate.

© If a Club decides to withdraw from the Competition after a drawn, postponed or abandoned match, notice must be given to The Association and its opponent at the end of the match.

(d) A Club failing to give satisfactory reason for withdrawing from the Competition shall in addition to any other action considered appropriate not be allowed to enter the Competition in the following season and shall be liable to such fine as the Professional Game Board considers appropriate.

Still though, as its a minority that clubs choose not to participate I don't think it as any place in the game myself.

Archived