More Specific PPMs

One of the things I'm pleased about since switching from the EA FIFA Manager series is the greater control afforded to managers for how their players play on the pitch, namely in the form of PPMs. However I feel that they can be taken a step further. I'm the kind of manager that needs certain players to commit to certain styles of play in order for my tactics to work well. Therefore I would like to be able to give players slightly more specific instructions. This may come about as an improvement in the tactics creator, or perhaps by creating more specific PPMs. For example, consider how much more realistic management would be if you could teach your players to add these to their game:

-play more carefully if get a yellow card (because I think of players like Jack Rodwell and Paul Scholes who get carded frequently; surely those players are instructed to play more carefully after they get carded)

-never slide on a player if you are the last defender in the line (because my tactics generally aim to deny penalties and this could help with that)

-if you choose not to hit a first-time cross, then don't hit the cross at all and choose another option (because I don't like having my players' crosses blocked by opposing players who caught up to them)

-don't go forward if you see the other fullback going forward (because I don't want to take too many risks)

-and so on (because it would make managing your team's play more realistic)

After all, aren't these the kinds of instructions RL managers really give their players? One may say that this should come down to attributes such as "Decisions" or "Positioning" or "Agressiveness", but there are times when a RL manager is clear-cut with a player to the point where none of these mental attributes would be involved (in any big way), except maybe the Creative Freedom setting for each player. Instead, "Decisions", for example, would only factor in when a player is deciding whether or not he is in fact the last defender or in deciding how far up the field the other fullback has to be in order to be considered as "gone forward".

Perhaps there is room for some of these suggestions to be tactics-based and for others to be PPMs, but in any case they should be included into a game that is trying to stake a claim as a simulation, because, as far as I can tell at this moment in time, these possibilities aren't included in what is clearly a great game.

Archived