Tone

How do you feel about tones?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about tones?

• Tones are pointless!
    • Tones are a great!
    • Tones are over complicated, micro management!

Just wondering what peoples feelings on this are?

Personally I realy don't like the feature. It's taken micro management to a whole new level and I think it will get very tiresome, very fast. I think it could be the next big gripe after press conferences.

Like just about every new manager/person interaction feature, it's a good idea imperfectly executed. I haven't yet noticed much difference in responses between tones, but I'm not far into the game yet.

Has anyone got anecdotes to illustrate how the choice of tone affected the outcome?

I personally haven't (yet), but I've read a post where sombody was complaining about how they've been 3-0 up and 5-0 up only to draw 3-3 and 5-5 after getting the tones badly wrong.

It just seem like more options to fail at a lottery.

its good, theres no default right and wrong selection.

you try saying something pre match:

a. it motivates some players (sweet use that again)

b. does nothing (meh safe option)

c. upsets players (eff sake, best stay away from that)

thats at a basic level as you play the game you figure out certian players dont reacte as well(or at all) to certian types of tone etc and also different situations, form moral affect the above.

trail and error

How influential are the actual tones used though? Is the telling the players in calm tone theyve played well different from telling them in an assertive tone?

The players still react in one of only a handful of ways (Motivated/Stressed/Angry/Happy etc).

I have only played one season so havent tested the feature fully (only for teamtalks, i dont bother with press confs and media questions).

I do like the immediate feedback on the teamtalks and the ability to give a team talk to defenders, mids and forwards.

Beside the fact that I never use cautious nor reluctant, the introduction of tones is a nice idea, the problem is that it works in a non logical way, above all when you have " to force " players to get relaxed before a big match to have a " green reaction " from them.

Doing like that it sounds more of a doping procedure instead of a mental one.

tones are a good way to put across the message.. a calm statement when chasing a deficit scoreline would mean u are confident in securing the win and to tell the team not to panic because the team has the quality..

to use an aggressive tone would mean the team has the quality, but is not showing it and thus u are lecturing them in a harsh tone to get the message across that they need to step up their game if they want to turn the match around..

might not make a lot of difference when the team is of a high caliber but in lower league management where the player quality and mental states are not as good as the top clubs, the tone would make a lot of difference to the reaction of the player..

So basically, you now have to be a proffesional psychologist (and a lucky one at that) so your team doesn't capitulate after leading 3-0 at half time?

I know, it's a slight exageration but that's how it feels to me sometimes. It just feels like a massive chore.

Edit - I've also just realised that we now get these options when asking a senior player to tutor a younger player. Seriosuly, what's the point of this? It's ridiculous.

I find it very effective to be honest. If it wasn't this way then you would all be moaning about how 'repetitive' and 'boring' the same player communication integration is and you would most likely be questioning SI on when they are going to add more features to player communication. Trust me, if you use this properly you will love it. Its pretty simple too, you wouldn't have to worry that what you say is going to have a effect on you players if your 2-0 up at half time, i mean its not as if you're going to criticize the players for playing poorly. It's all about getting used to it and i for one think its a magnificent improvement form the old 'repetitive' and 'boring' in-game communication feature.

As im managing my favoured club i only really use 3 options.

Passionate (pre match always, most half times and full times)

Angry (we're losing, im kind of that guy who hates to lose)

Calm (we have no chance of winning or we're plaing a team miles below our level.)

I like that we have more options of team talks to give because it was far too repetitive before and I ended up using the same team talks depending on the score usually so there wasn't any thought going in to it. They were in desperate need of a revamp and I am quite happy with it so far. Hopefully more improvements can be made in patches or for next year but i think its a step in the right direction.

One thing I noticed about the team talks over the course of one season was the players seemed to respond less to what I was saying as the season went. I'm not sure whether this is a supposed to happen depending on circumstances (lack of respect for the manager or sick of same team talk maybe?) or whether it is just that I am bad at team talks. Probably the latter. Hopefully once I have played a few more seasons I will learn the best way to get the players motivated.

It seems like a lot of people like it but nobody has explained why on earth we have the options in tutoring? If that's not an ott feature I don't know what is.

From reading these forums the general jist I got was people wanted less micro management yet we got loads more whilst, correct me if I'm wrong, the match engine wasn't touched apart from making the awful 3D graphics a little less awful?

I'm beginning to wonder, after playing the series from the start, if it's time to hang up my boots. I just don't like where the series is going anymore and I've just not felt like this about any other release.

I think it's a big improvement on what went before.

Having more options keeps teamtalks interesting and in one-to-ones there are now ways to correct conversations which are going wrong whereas last year it was way too easy to get players to hate you and refuse to talk.

It makes private player interaction much easier - now i can tell a player i'm transferring them (reluctantly) without them getting upset, which i like. One, it means you don't end up with every player you transfer list upset (which seemd to always happen to me in previous FMs), and two it means i dont feel as guilty about selling my ageing legendary players!

Micro-management - rather cool and awesome.

And I've just discovered that we now have to micro manage talking to somebody who's played crap after a game. I've just managed to alienate two of my star players for playing crap with this new lottery that they call team talks (yes, you now have even more chances to **** it up!). This never happened once in countless seasons and saves on FM. Cant I just tell a player he was ****? Do I now have to go and look at there match stats in the last game, then look at there passing to tell them that even though they got a rating of 5.8, there passing wasn't good enough? Bear in mind it was a striker who missed three ccc's.

It just got ridiculous.

It seems pretty simple and logical to me. You don't have to be some master of psychology here, just use common damn sense, i've had bad responses when players were demotivated after i chewed them out due to a less, which was easily remedied by telling the player i thought he did ok.

It's really not difficult and there's zero micromanagmet involved, i shudder to think how people were react if there WAS any degree of micromanagment in this game like there is in others.

This game has just some simple micromanagement, nothing you need an IQ of more than average or a life experience of a 40 year old. Just bear in mind that 90% of the people playing this game would never become a manager in real life, because they could not even handle their own family members. :)

I like that kind of involvement into the game, as it was to much continue - play match - adjust squad selection - continue - play match in the past.

Okay, it just gets better.

Half time team talk and it seems I got the lottery right on an individual player who has been having a stinker, he's now fired up for the second half and raring to go! but wait, what's this? I start the second half and he looks uninterested. Hmm, okay. And people claim it isn't a lottery.

Can anybody explain this?

Okay, it just gets better.

Half time team talk and it seems I got the lottery right on an individual player who has been having a stinker, he's now fired up for the second half and raring to go! but wait, what's this? I start the second half and he looks uninterested. Hmm, okay. And people claim it isn't a lottery.

Can anybody explain this?

I don't see how on Earth that supports your opinion that it is a lottery? :D

There's something of a lag between giving the team talk and motivation (in the widget) updating. Also, sometimes the "body language" is wrong (it's very rare though) and sometimes a player is just "more fired up". If he's not very determined in the first place, he probably won't be like Shane Long chasing down a weak backpass every time the ball is loose.

It really isn't that hard. Just do what seems to make sense.

it's far too simplistic, so one dimensional at the minute.

i.e using the do it for the fans options has no effect but relaxing them always does. And it's really, really hard to **** off your players.

Relaxing them doesn't necessarily have the effect you want though.

I have had great results from using "for the fans!", you just have to be careful not to overuse it.

It isn't that hard to annoy your players (for example, aggressively criticise them after a victory, or praise them massively after a thumping defeat), you just should be able to avoid doing it if you use a little common sense.

Relaxing them doesn't necessarily have the effect you want though.

I have had great results from using "for the fans!", you just have to be careful not to overuse it.

It isn't that hard to annoy your players (for example, aggressively criticise them after a victory, or praise them massively after a thumping defeat), you just should be able to avoid doing it if you use a little common sense.

Well sure but it does always have a positive effect, I can honestly say I've only ever had one person look motivated after a fan team talk on numerous occasions whilst the rest of the team don't do anything.

That's the problem with it for me though, there's not enough variety, it always seems to be the same for me..

I don't see how on Earth that supports your opinion that it is a lottery? :D

There's something of a lag between giving the team talk and motivation (in the widget) updating. Also, sometimes the "body language" is wrong (it's very rare though) and sometimes a player is just "more fired up". If he's not very determined in the first place, he probably won't be like Shane Long chasing down a weak backpass every time the ball is loose.

It really isn't that hard. Just do what seems to make sense.

It supports my opinion because surely getting a player who wasn't playing well fired up for the second half is a good thing? But apparently it isn't, which to me seems like a lottery, as common sense would say I made the right choices.

Also, i'm aware there's a delay with 'widget' but the player was uninterested from the 45th to the 60th minute and I know the delay only takes around 5mins.

I find it really quite pointless. Before the start of every match there's only one option to use that has a positive impact.

If the team is winning at half time, again, there's only one to use that has a positive impact.

The same if the team is losing.

So basically, I'm pretty much using the same tone and message nearly every game.

Yes.

If that's what affects it though then that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Seriously.

It makes sense to me, he loves the club just like the fans and knows what it means to them. As more players come to love the club you can add them to your (mental) list of positives for that team talk. If you take the time you should be able to link Team Talk reactions to certain characteristics and/or circumstances of your players. :)

It makes sense to me, he loves the club just like the fans and knows what it means to them. As more players come to love the club you can add them to your (mental) list of positives for that team talk. If you take the time you should be able to link Team Talk reactions to certain characteristics and/or circumstances of your players. :)

That's true but the problem I have with it is that it's always that way and I could hardly just see one player reacting to a team talk like that, you're in the final of the Dutch Cup, it must have meant something to them.

I want variety.

ArsenalFAn - if you add positional (or individual) teamtalks: assertive/2nd option (= have faith), you will get happy/motivated reactions from most of them.

This is the only team talk I've been using for the whole season. Kinda makes me wonder why they bothered adding a gazillion new options with the new tones.

Archived