Contract Type and Squad Status

Hi,

I'm managing a Blue Square South team called Dorchester. This team has about 18 players already on a part-time contract, and some on a non-contract. I noted that the ones with a part-time contract are all set to 'Indispensable to the club'. When I want to change their squad status to something different, because they're honestly a piece of ****, I can click on confirm, but then when I look again: The Squad Status is not changed.

I think that it must have something to do with the board allowing me only to offer part-time contracts to people with a status of Indispensable. When I try to sign someone new, I cannot change the squad status lower then that unless I offer them a non-contract. Offering full time contracts with this team is in contrast to last year; not even an option.

Is this new in this year's edition? If it is a feature and not some weird bug, how can I prevent my players who have their squad status as Indispensable, who are not good enough for a spot in the team, from mocking around not being a regular player?

It's the pure logic of intertwining contract types and squad status as strictly as this year's FM does. Hopefully the absurd consequences of this choice soon dawns upon SI - I'm curious as to whether they will try to fix it or maybe abolish it?

No there's no solution to your problem but to offer those players a N/C. Take a look at the contract types for your competition (BSS), you'll see that P/T entails key player status, while N/C can be a first team, rotation or backup player. With 16 P/T players, you'll have 16 key players!

If memory serves, this also seems to happen in reverse. I was unable to upgrade one of my non-contract players out of 'not-needed' even though he was my best central defender, and starting every game. I wasn't in a financial position to offer him a better deal, and at age 37 non-contract seemed a logical arrangement anyway.

Agree, that the 'hard-link' between contract types and squad status definitely needs some tweaking, but 'apalling' might be going a bit far. It doesn't really have a dramatic impact on the game.

If memory serves, this also seems to happen in reverse. I was unable to upgrade one of my non-contract players out of 'not-needed' even though he was my best central defender, and starting every game. I wasn't in a financial position to offer him a better deal, and at age 37 non-contract seemed a logical arrangement anyway.

Agree, that the 'hard-link' between contract types and squad status definitely needs some tweaking, but 'apalling' might be going a bit far. It doesn't really have a dramatic impact on the game.

To have squad status dependent on type of contract with all its absurd consequences for the evaluation of squad players (de facto key players being classified as not-needed because they have the "wrong" contract, clubs with 21 key players and so on), is bad enough. However, the situation gets untenable when I as a manager of the semi-professional Waasland-Beveren only have the option to offer my 8 F/T players P/T contracts - not because the board has decided it's time to revert to a P/T only contract model, but because a lack of thoroughness in the editing process means the game won't recognize F/T players in semi-professional clubs with otherwise blank Contract Types. This flaw comprises a vast number of clubs - one instance is really enough to wreck any enjoyment of the game.

Archived