Managerial Changes

Anyone else think there's an awful lot of managerial changes in the game?

In my save I'm at Christmas and there's been both 6 teams in the Premier League and 6 teams in the Championship sack/change their manager. The most strange being Sam Allardyce being sacked from West Ham despite them being 6th, only 4 points from the top!

Wolves and Sunderland basically swapped managers after Sunderland sacked Bruce and the same with Villa and Stoke after McLeish was sacked.

Just seems a bit excessive to me at the moment and doesn't really feel very good when a certain amount of teams that you play have already changed their manager. I think the problem is either teams having too high expectations + no patience, or in the case of the Championship on my game, the better teams not doing well. Or possibly a combination of both.

EDIT: And now Ipswich have sacked Jewell and Bolton have sacked Coyle so it's 7 each from the Prem and Championship as we go into the new year. Ridiculous.

Im not seeing it as often as FM11. Chelsea went through 5 managers in 2 years and rightly so, they were doing horribly bad. They back in top 4 with their 5th manager.

AC Milan been through 3 managers in those 2 years.

After I left Inter they sacked my follow up but his replacement has been there since.

Mancini still at city even though they been 6th and 7th last 3 seasons.

Thats all Ive cared to remember.

i remember a few years back that Del Neri was sacked from Porto before even doing a friendly game IRL so i think that its not that abnormal

That doesn't mean there should be 8/9 sackings in a league in one season. Teams seem to set their expectations too high and when their managers aren't achieving them they get sacked, despite the fact there's still tonnes of games to go.

Teams should just have more patience and even if a manager doesn't do well or achieve the objectives, that doesn't mean they're sacked straight away.

From what I've seen on my game, it needs sorting.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm certainly noticing a lot of sackings and a lot of mangers under extreme pressure for not being top of the league when they are only two or three points off the league leaders.

I'm also seeing teams like Juventus performing really really well yet the manager is still looking likely to get sacked.

Think the sackings need a bit of toning down

In my first season 6 Prem managers lost their although 3 were from the three relegated clubs. Im now in 2024 and here is list of Prem clubs and how many mangers they have had (inc the current manager):

Arsenal - 5 (2 sacked, 2 left)

Aston Villa - 9 (6 sacked, 2 left, 1 resigned)

Birmingham - 4 (2 sacked, 1 resigned)

Blackburn - 8 (4 sacked, 3 left)

Bolton - 5 (2 sacked, 1 left, 1 retired)

Chelsea - 7 (5 sacked, 1 left)

Everton - 10 (7 sacked, 2 left)

Ipswich - 7 (4 sacked, 1 left, 1 resigned*)

Leeds - 8 (4 sacked, 3 left)

Liverpool - 6 (2 sacked, 2 resigned, 1 left)

Man C - 7 (3 sacked, 2 retired, 1 left)

Man U - 3 (1 retired, 1 sacked)

Newcastle** - 8 (2 sacked, 4 left, 1 retired)

Norwich - 6 (3 left, 1 sacked, 1 resigned)

Sheff Wed - 6 (2 sacked, 2 left, 1 resigned*)

Stoke - 9 (5 sacked, 3 left)

Sunderland - 6 (4 sacked, 1 left)

Tottenham - 5 (2 left, 1 sacked, 1 retired)

Watford - 5 (3 sacked, 1 left)

West Brom - 5 (2 sacked, 2 left)

* denotes that it was me that resigned

** is the club i am currently manager of.

I'm also finding that teams are making strange appointments. In my third season QPR hired a regen with unknown reputation as their new manager eventhough they are in the premier league, Norwich just hired Paul Murray as their new manager immediately after he retired playing in league 2 with Crawley and Lee Naylor has a first managerial job with Wigan despite no coaching history and a reputation of regional. Doesn't seem right.

I'm not even out of December yet and so far Real Madrid,Palermo,Sunderland,Newcastle,Deportivo,Hertha Berlin,HSV,Reading,Leicester,Sheff Wednesday,Hull,Villa,Birmingham,Chelsea,Southampton have all sacked their managers and that's just the clubs I can remember there's been plenty more.

I know these are from different leagues and countries but it's still an awful lot in such a small amount of time in my opinion.

& why exactly do you think this is not like real life? Ha ha!

How many Premier league managers have been sacked in 2011? Obviously 1 swallow does not make a summer but I do think there is a changing attitude towards managerial changes in England.

The 'virtual' sacking of Allardyce from WHU is certainly no more preposterous that the very real sacking of Houghton from Newcastle. Both teams doing particularly well at the time. Besides, all this management merry-go-round is not really all that out of line with the real world and actually adds to the fun & 'opportunities' for managers to move themselves around a little; a good thing.

I dispute that managers/players in the game are subject to the sack after a couple of losses. You really have to screw-up to get the push.

Talking of weird appointments....after Dalglish saw out his contract Liverpool approached me, Villa manager with League cup win and 6th finish 1st season and 4th finish with LC final 2nd season, I rejected and they appointed some Norwegian with national rep and no history as player!! Tottenham also expressed interest in me along with Liverpool after Redknapp left but didn't approach me

It's a lot to do with what you put as your 'experience' in the game.

I like to play the lower leagues best & don't want to manage a top team till way down the line. If I start as am International Footballer I get these offers too quick. Took Crawley up to L1 & got offered the Arsenal job. Excuse me?

If you start as a Semi-pro you have to do more to get these high-up offers; which suits me!

It's a lot to do with what you put as your 'experience' in the game.

I like to play the lower leagues best & don't want to manage a top team till way down the line. If I start as am International Footballer I get these offers too quick. Took Crawley up to L1 & got offered the Arsenal job. Excuse me?

If you start as a Semi-pro you have to do more to get these high-up offers; which suits me!

I know what your saying and a lot of us are aware of this.

Our problem though isn't really with being offered these jobs it's more about the AI seems to be sacking far to many managers if you see in one of my earlier posts it lists just a few clubs that I can remember that have sacked their manager in the first four months of the game.

TBH im really not seeing a stupid amount of changes in manager compared to 'real life'. If you take the 2010/11 season as an example by 4 Jan 2011 in real life these changes occured:

Championship - 11 managerial changes

League 1 - 6 managerial changes

League 2 - 6 managerial changes.

As i stated in my earlier post i have listed all the Premier League teams and how many managers they have had over 13 years and clubs like Man Utd (3) Birmingham (4) have had hardly any changes and then a couple of clubs like Everton (10) Stoke (9) Aston V (9) have had a high number of changes.

In my opinion this is similar to real life again as clubs like Newcastle and West Ham seems to have managers in and out all the time and Everton , Man Utd and Arsenal have kept with the same man for years.

Are some people looking purely at manager changes, not sackings?? In my save Blackburn are onto the 8th manager in 13 years which is high, but only 4 have been sacked, the rest have left for other reason. Newcastle is even more extreme as they are onto their 8th manager also but have only sacked 2!!

Archived