Why does no one want goalkeepers without a club?

Is anyone else noticing this? How absaloutely no one wants top quality goalkeepers who's contracts have expired.

For example I've seen Petr Cech at 31 years of age, a world class goalkeeper go a whole season looking for a club but then giving up and retiring because no one wanted him, he was one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

Last year I saw a brilliant goalkeeper in Vicente Guaita retire at 29 (might have been younger can't remember really) because he couldn't find a club, yet again no one wanted this amazing goalkeeper.

There is probably many more examples but those are the ones that stand out in my head.

Now here's the latest one Rene Adler, he's obviously one of the best goalkeepers on the game, top 5 easily imo, his contract ran out with Leverkusen and now he's looking for a new club but funnily enough absaloutely no one is interested, I even checked to see if it was high wage demands but it can't be as he only wanted £58k a week from me (a club run by a tycoon and the most reputable in the world - Milan) so he's clearly not asking for too much. If Adler retires at 31 I'll be furious as he's got so many more years left in him.

renadleroverviewattribu.png

renadlertransferscontra.png

renadlertransferscontra.png

Is anyone else getting an issue like this or is it just me?

I think I can see the cause of the problem. Goalkeepers go on forever and the high rep clubs don't need new keepers. The AI for squad building has always been poor in FM and this is an example - a mid-ranking club should see that he is a better keeper than they've got, but they don't. To compound the problem, his reputation will be too high to consider lesser rep clubs.

I think I can see the cause of the problem. Goalkeepers go on forever and the high rep clubs don't need new keepers. The AI for squad building has always been poor in FM and this is an example - a mid-ranking club should see that he is a better keeper than they've got, but they don't. To compound the problem, his reputation will be too high to consider lesser rep clubs.

Couldn't agree more, it is a pity that the AI for a club challenging for Europe cannot see Petr Cech as an improvement on their current GK.

Couldn't agree more, it is a pity that the AI for a club challenging for Europe cannot see Petr Cech as an improvement on their current GK.

I think a more important question is why are Chelsea allowing Cech to leave at such a young age?

I think a more important question is why are Chelsea allowing Cech to leave at such a young age?

It would be interested to know who Chelsea replaced him with. On FM11 I am pretty sure they had a very very good young GK, maybe he took his place?

Funnily enough they let Cech go but at the time Handanovic became their number one goalkeeper with Delac and Courtois becoming backup. Which makes absaloutely no sense as Cech is better than all these, had years left in him and then there's the fact Handanovic is possibly to an extent worse than both backup gk's, worse than Delac at the time for sure.

Is it really a bug though?

We can call it unexpected behavior and I'm sure someone will call it a feature. On a more serious note it's a bug if it differs to specification and as we have no way to check specification the best thing we can do is report it and wait for SI staff to check it.

Usually they do get snapped up - eventually, it just takes sometimes up to six months. Which sure isnt realistic but it happens. I am kinda talking more from FM2011 experience though, I saw there that goalkeepers werent always snapped up right away, the old kind of 33-34 year old ones that are still in their prime

Stekelenburg (sp) left Roma and is languishing on a free. Although he also was completely unwilling to negotiate with anyone. So maybe it's two problems.

I explained above what those 2 problems are.

Cech is possibly not the best example to focus on though; after Saturday a number of analysts are seeing serious weaknesses and are calling for Villas-Boas to buy a replacement. But that's another discussion!

In my game (as Chelsea) City always come in and buy Cech for a pretty high rate. In the winter of my first year in FM12 City are trying desperately to buy him, and in the past I usually had to sell him after 3-4 years as he 'wanted a new challenge,' at this point City usually splashed $45-60M for him. At this point I'd buy Adler for half and spend the rest :)

Surprising that when Chelsea is AI City doesn't do the same...

It's a problem with the AI, they don't pick up many free transfers.

agree with this. picked up david ospina, joel matip and fernando gago on frees for the start of the 3rd season and nobody else put in a bid for any of these players. the fact that 2 of them are rated at 4 stars in my aston villa team suggests to me they are good enough to play for many other clubs.

Archived