Self-Critical Players? (Superb Match Rating, Unhappy With Performance)

So after a superb performance, I decided to give my star striker some praise. He scored 2 goals in a 4-2 victory, and attained a match rating of 9.3. You'd have thought he'd accept some praise, right? Well as the second photo shows, he thought he hadn't played particularly well. Bug? Error? Incredibly self-critical player? I don't know. Anybody else had similar experiences?

PRat.jpg

Pawlow.jpg

No, I talked to him straight after the press conference.

hmm that could prob be logged as a bug then, my only thought was you had maybe tried to praise him right after the game, before you pressed continue, but if you did the press conference then it should have been fine.

Had both of these.

Player rated 9.0, me: well played; player = I sucked; morale = abysmal

Player rated 5.2; me = not good enough; player = no, I was brilliant; morale = abysmal

To be honest, I could just about accept the second reaction from a difficult player but EVERYONE likes to be praised when they've done well, let alone super-egomaniacs like professional footballers.

I'm thinking it might be because game wasn't continued as well and so he's still thinking about the prior match and not the one that JUST ended?!

If you have a save from right after the game (That's what I always do, save as soon as a match is done), then maybe you can try this and see if problem still exists. If it does, yeah I'd say definitely a bug.

Happened to me the first few times i did private chats they always play well and dont accept praise the *******. Also have never seen them use any tone other than "reluctant" or "calm" if you call them for a chat its disrespectful for them to automatically come in reluctantly. "oh no not this again he's about to praise me for scoring 7 goals in the last match, tut"

The problem arises when a player gets an average rating of 9.0 or higher. He won't accept praise then, both in post-match team talks and in private chats. His morale should be superb after a performance like that anyways, so there isn't really a point in praising him.

Not sure its a bug. I had a habit of praising Mom in private but in FM12 they respond like that so I dont bother. My assumption is that my players are very professional (hidden att) so dont need praising and are, as you say, self-critical. Not a bug, just SI interpretation that I think is a bit off.

Not sure its a bug. I had a habit of praising Mom in private but in FM12 they respond like that so I dont bother. My assumption is that my players are very professional (hidden att) so dont need praising and are, as you say, self-critical. Not a bug, just SI interpretation that I think is a bit off.

Yeah my players from the lowest playable league in england are too professional that must be it.

Demba Ba scored a hat-trick for Newcastle yesterday. His quote after the game ""I am playing at a good level but I can still get better, that is for sure," Ba told BBC Newcastle. "So I am going to just continue working hard."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15536524.stm

Pretty similar although I would agree it seems overblown if it happens regularly with many different players

Yeah but that's a quote to media where he could sound humble or like a cocky jackass instead. But when Alan Pardew I'm sure told him he'd played very well and praised him after the match, he didn't get mad at the manager or say what the hell are you talking about, I'm tired of this!? How dare you praise me. He probably said Thanks Boss, glad to hear you liked the performance and I'll try even harder next game and walk away with a smile and confident knowing his manager now trusts him

Archived