A question about team talks...

Simply, is the aim of the team talks to get as many green up-arrows as possible? Or is it more complex than that?

I've noticed that there are a couple of team talks that most achieve this for most players (eg no pressure/I have faith) However, is there a downside to this that is not immediately apparent. For example if I tell a player that there is no pressure on him, despite him 'going green' could it also mean that he fails to care about his performance and therefore actually perform worse. Equally, does using the same team talk again and again diminish the results over time??

Cheers!

I know in FM11 using the same team talk repeatedly ended up with the players not listening so i suspect that is the same in 12.

For the talks itself, it all depends on the players mentality as well as who you are playing but if they look happy or motivated that's always good. I've had a few where it's gone red with "looked to switch off" but they've still played well..

In games you intend to win, you don't want them going into the game happy and relaxed; you want them motivated and fired up. Happiness and motivation are different, so yo uneed to INTERPRET those green arrows.

Not sure I agree with that without specific context. If I am playing a much weaker side at home for example I want my players to be relaxed so they are in the best position to play their pass and move style. I have put 6 past teams by starting relaxed.

I would add however that in some situations (such as playing away to low table teams) starting relaxed might not be a good idea if they are going to be very physical and hard tackling.

yup.. suggest getting over to the tactics forum for more in depth discussion on it ..

but essentially you need to look at his motivation etc.. as phnom said, you dont neccessarily want your team being happy and relaxed going into a crunch tie at the end of the season in a relegation battle... you want them motivated , whether that be through hair dryer treatment or showing faith in them... its all about using the right motivation at the right times.. but of course you need to take into consideration the players themselves too.. in a little over half a season ive discovered david dunn doesnt respond well to criticism of his game , but an arm around him at the right time does wonders.... so personalities matter too.. its actually quite in depth if you like the man management thing... or of course you can hire a good ass man and get him to do them.... the best ive found is terry mcdermott tbh

Even though the feedback feature says that your players reacted well to a "expect a win" teamtalk, this could result in nervousness or other negative motivation descriptions later if you don't score right away. The same could be said when you reduce pressure with "you can win" or "no pressure" team talks - they may react positively but after a little while it may turn to disinterest or complacency.

Archived