Fm2008: Official Sheffield United thread

joebanks10

Sheffield United have On paper one of the strongest squads in the

division, but as we have seen so far this season does not perform as well in irl. Since the new patch has come out it has become much harder to get promoted than it was before.

The squad as i said is very strong on paper

1 Paddy Kenny Goalkeeper

3 Gary Naysmith Defender

5 Chris Morgan Defender

6 James Beattie Striker

7 Luton Shelton Striker

8 Jonathan Stead Striker

9 Rob Hulse Striker

10 Danny Webber Striker

11 Lee Hendrie Midfielder

13 Ian Bennett Goalkeeper

14 David Carney Midfielder

15 Gary Speed Midfielder

16 Matthew Kilgallon Defender

17 Nick Montgomery Midfielder

18 Michael Tonge Midfielder

19 Keith Gillespie Midfielder

20 Chris Armstrong Defender

22 Chris Lucketti Defender

23 Lee Martin Midfielder

24 Billy Sharp Striker

26 Derek Geary Defender

28 Stephen Quinn Midfielder

30 Li Tie Midfielder

31 Nicholas Law Midfielder

33 Ugo Ehiogu Defender

There is plenty of potential in the squad including Billy Sharp who is one of the best young strikers on the game.

There is also plenty of deadwood in the squad e.g. Egiogu, bennett, lucketti and Gillespie. Also there are too many strikers, so the ones that you do not pick get very irritated very quickly, so i would suggest getting rid of at least 1 probably 2, i normally go for Webber and Hulse as you can get 1 million for webber and 2 million for hulse, or yu can get rid of Stead for about 1 million I also try and sell Naysmith for about 1 million.

With the money you get normally around 3 million plus money from player sales i would suggest bringing in Shaun St Ledger (preston) and Kyle Lafferty (Burnley) both can be quite expensive but prove well worth it in the long run.

My starting 11 at the beginning would be:

Kenny

Geary

Armstrong

Morgan

Killgallon

Hendrie (replace with a proper winger if possible)

Martin

Tongue

Speed

Beattie (I would replace with Lafferty)

Sharp

This squad should easily get you to in and around the play offs if you play it right.

I have just had to start a new game with Sheff Utd because my last game crashed ahhhhhhh, so if anyone else wants to start one or has already got one going please post in here with how you are getting on

If anyone has any questions about youth or reserve players or even first teamers please feel free to post as i am a season ticket holder and like to think that i know quite a lot about the mighty Blades.

Sheffield United have On paper one of the strongest squads in the

division, but as we have seen so far this season does not perform as well in irl. Since the new patch has come out it has become much harder to get promoted than it was before.

The squad as i said is very strong on paper

1 Paddy Kenny Goalkeeper

3 Gary Naysmith Defender

5 Chris Morgan Defender

6 James Beattie Striker

7 Luton Shelton Striker

8 Jonathan Stead Striker

9 Rob Hulse Striker

10 Danny Webber Striker

11 Lee Hendrie Midfielder

13 Ian Bennett Goalkeeper

14 David Carney Midfielder

15 Gary Speed Midfielder

16 Matthew Kilgallon Defender

17 Nick Montgomery Midfielder

18 Michael Tonge Midfielder

19 Keith Gillespie Midfielder

20 Chris Armstrong Defender

22 Chris Lucketti Defender

23 Lee Martin Midfielder

24 Billy Sharp Striker

26 Derek Geary Defender

28 Stephen Quinn Midfielder

30 Li Tie Midfielder

31 Nicholas Law Midfielder

33 Ugo Ehiogu Defender

There is plenty of potential in the squad including Billy Sharp who is one of the best young strikers on the game.

There is also plenty of deadwood in the squad e.g. Egiogu, bennett, lucketti and Gillespie. Also there are too many strikers, so the ones that you do not pick get very irritated very quickly, so i would suggest getting rid of at least 1 probably 2, i normally go for Webber and Hulse as you can get 1 million for webber and 2 million for hulse, or yu can get rid of Stead for about 1 million I also try and sell Naysmith for about 1 million.

With the money you get normally around 3 million plus money from player sales i would suggest bringing in Shaun St Ledger (preston) and Kyle Lafferty (Burnley) both can be quite expensive but prove well worth it in the long run.

My starting 11 at the beginning would be:

Kenny

Geary

Armstrong

Morgan

Killgallon

Hendrie (replace with a proper winger if possible)

Martin

Tongue

Speed

Beattie (I would replace with Lafferty)

Sharp

This squad should easily get you to in and around the play offs if you play it right.

I have just had to start a new game with Sheff Utd because my last game crashed ahhhhhhh, so if anyone else wants to start one or has already got one going please post in here with how you are getting on

If anyone has any questions about youth or reserve players or even first teamers please feel free to post as i am a season ticket holder and like to think that i know quite a lot about the mighty Blades.

I have managed to get Man U as a parent club who have sent me Tom Heaton on loan. I have also signed St Ledger and Lafferty and Cotterill on loan and i have sold danny webber and gillespie. I have also won my first 3 games including a 5 4 win away at Scunthorpe.

I started a Sheff Utd career purely because of Billy Sharp! The man is quality and can win you a game on his own, he is so consistant. I always sign him and he can do it at all levels.

I got Sheff Utd promoted in my first season with Sharp scoring 35 goals in 44 games! currently in my second season its a bit harder as 16th in the prem but im one of the top scorers in the divison with Sharp scoring 15 in 22 games. The problem is at the other end as i keep conceeding.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smit:

The problem is at the other end as i keep conceeding. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i totally agrre as i'm now in my 3rd prem season however ever season i have conceded the most amount of goals in the league and i feel i keep strengthening my defence however it gets worse every season

I have just won the championship in my first season quite convincingly. My team is as follows:-

GK Kenny

DR Geary / Albrectsen

DC Morgan

DC Kilgallon

DL Armstrong

MC Hendrie / Tonge

MC Montgomery

AML - Martin

AMR - Cotterill

SC - Beattie

SC - Sharp

Sharp scored 35 goals in first season and now attracting interest from alot of premiership teams. Kilgallon was a rock at the back also chipping in with 10 goals (mainly headers from set-pieces. Just signed Dickson Etuhu from Sunderland to replace Hendrie who is 31.

Unfortunately I dont think this team will make it in the top flight, so may look to get a job offer elsewhere.

I did a Sheff Utd save a while back, never went beyond season 1 as I couldnt be arsed, but here's my team that won me the title and got me, miraculously, to the Semis of the League Cup...

Gk: Kenny

DL: Armstrong

DC: Evans (loan)

DC: Kilgallon

DR: Geary

ML: Fortune

MC: Montgomery/Lee

MC: HEndrie/Tonge

MR: Torje

FC: Sharp

FC: Stancu/Beattie

I’m seriously thinking about having a go at a Sheffield United game. Just seems like it could be a fun game; plenty of potential to crack into the prem and then try and establish from there.

Can anyone tell me what sort of transfer and wage budget I can expect? Also, what sort of stadium and training/youth facilities do they have?

Cheers in advance.

Just started a Sheffield United game.

GK: Cristiano Lupatelli (bought for only 200 thousand); signed Fraga but have to send him on loan for 3 years to obtain a WP

DR: Tony McMahon(Loan)

DL: Gary Naysmith

DC: Chris Morgan

DC: Jonathan Evans(Loan)

ML: Sebastian Leto(Loan)

MR: Gabriel Torje

MC: Chris Eagles(Loan)

DMC: Bocundji Ca

FC: Bogdan Stancu

FC: Billy Sharp

Just had an offer accepted for Danlilinho.. he was for some unknown reason placed on the transfer list by his team. Have to sell Quinn and possibly one more to get him, but I'd say it's rather worth it if I can secure his signing.

Still debating if I should offer up Beattie for transfer. I like players that are good aerially, but I like to play a fast-paced game and Beattie doesn't have much pace. If Stancu improves a bit aerially then there's no place for Beattie on the team really. Can't decide if I should trade him now while I can get some good value for him, or whether he can help me enough to justify keeping him.

Don't know why I decided to start a game which Sheffield United, but I get the feeling it could be fun.

My first season with sheff utd i won the championship with more than 20 points! was too easy really.Second season was more of a struggle but still managed to come 13th in the premiership.3rd season in and it january and am sittin 6th in the league so am looking for a european spot. heres my team

GK: J Carlos(wonderkid)

DR: L Abenzoar(wonderkid)

DL: M Lamey

DC: F Fazio

DC: A Vidal

MC: D De Zeeuw

MC: J Manuel Torres

AMR: G Torje(wonderkid)

AML: M Aaritalo

AMC: P Piatti(wonderkid)

FC: B Sharp

Subs:

S Pleitoska

P Ifill(loan)

G Naysmith

M Cahais

A Tuia

D Hamann

M Berson

P Lomski

M Marin

G Wijanaldum(wonderkid)

B Stancu

Oh and Billy Sharp and Pablo Piatti have just won european striker and midfielder of the year.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd post to let you all know how my Sheffield United game is going. I started pre patch but now have 8.0.2 installed.

I'm now in my 10th season and currently second behind Liverpool. I'm still in all the cups but I lost the Community Shield and the Super Cup. So heres how I got to where I am now.

Season 1 - 2nd in Championship, no cup success.

Season 2 - 12th in Premier League, FA Cup winners

Season 3 - 5th in Premier League, lost community shield

Season 4 - 4th in Premier League

Season 5 - 2nd in Premier League, League Cup Winner

Season 6 - 2nd in Premier League, League Cup runner up

Season 7 - 1st in Premier League

Season 8 - 2nd in Premier League, won community shield

Season 9 - 1st in Premier League, won community shield, League Cup runner up, Champions League winner

The only original Sheffield United player left in my team is Billy Sharp whos been immense but now 31 and not playing as well. Although he has the most league goals in the clubs history.

So yeah. icon14.gif

Just finished my first season with Sheff United and can gladly say I got promotion to the Premiership. Tied on points with Southampton (96 each icon_eek.gif).

Never really bought in anyone in the first season due to the lack of money to buy any decent players but I did find a corker of a prospect who now is picking up lots of interest from the big teams.

Lubos Kalouda

kaloudave2.jpg

James Beattie finished the season with about 42 goals in all competitions. Billy Sharp finished with around 35 to his name so wasn't to bad.

Got to the finals of the FA Cup heroically (sp?) but lost in the end to Man Utd. Wasn't bothered though because I did well to get there.

Just started my 2nd season now in the Premiership so will let you all know how I'm doing by January.

I've got a Sheff Utd game, i'm in 2011/12 at the moment, went up by getting second place on the last day of the season in first year, after an inspired substitution bringing on James Beattie as a targetman.

Beattie finished the season as my top scorer, and my most significant signings were perhaps Wijnaldum, Jonny Evans, Chris Eagles & Eddie Johnson

utdtransfers078.jpg

Fair enough some of these transfers failed big time!!!

My tactics soon changed to the 4-1-2-3 formation and i found it worked after trying lots more conventional ones. I then changed it to 5-2-3 and then to 4-1-2-3 (but with Jagielka in the DM role and an arrow back to the central defence position.

tactics.jpg

leaguehistory.jpg

As you can see i have continued to progress. Not done much in the cup competitions, got knocked out of UEFA Cup to Betis in last 16 last season and lost the FA Cup final to Man City 2-0.

My all time best XI is here....

besteleven.jpg

Giorgos Samaras was a good acquisition in my secons season but was awful in the third!

Torje was signed early on but sold in 3rd season for £7,5 mil.

Tymoschuk was awesome for me for my first 2 years in the Premiership but i sold him on.

I play short passes but with Crouch set as target man and Target Man aim>> to head. which is conflicting but works, and finished 2010/11 with 31 assists!

• 3 weeks later...

Im into the 2010-11 season now. Transefers in include A Ferdinand,M Noble G Cahill, Akinffev, sinama Pongolle,D Simpson, Anderson (man u), Insua (liverpool)

Managed to sign most as their team got relegated e.g. west ham and bolton others just out of favour although had to spend a lot on Akinfeev

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately my computer crashed and i lost my game file so i have started again, i have signed DeMerit and Kalouda and am 3rd after ten games after a shocking start losing the first three, down to a couple of freak injuries to Sharp, Beattie, Kalouda and Demerrit the day before the first game which lasted 2 weeks each but have been unbeaten since then winning 6 and drawing 1

Is anyone enjoying a game with the mighty Blades at the minute?

If so post in here and lets see if we can get this thread going.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just 20 games into my first Shef Utd season on the original 8.0 FM and am currently 4th in the league. Sharp is scoring for fun but Beattie only has 1 goal in 15 starts!

I signed Nafti from Birmingham to be my DM and play a 4-3-1-2 With Nafti covering back, A Quinn AMC and Hendrie and Tonge as MC. Need a decent AMC to replace A Quinn as he is not good enough, any recommendations?

A lot of teams have been sniffing around Stephen Quinn, is he worth keeping? Problem is my formation doesn't accomadate wide players.

Any advice or help is appreciated.

Team is as follows:

GK: Kenny

LB: Naysmith

RB: Geary

CB: Morgan

CB: Kilgallon

DM: Nafti

MC: Tonge (left)

MC: Hendrie (right)

AMC: A Quinn

ST: Beattie

ST: Sharp

I have about £2.8 million to spend after selling Chris Armstrong.

I'm playing the original FM 2008. I've five games to go in my first season and have just guaranteed promotion with 90 points so far... My quad's very different to when I started - 21 players out and 19 in plus loans! I play 4-3-1-2 generally. Here's my squad:

GK: Bennett, Ibanez

DF: KIllgallon, Morgan, Sanchez, Naysmith plus Crainie and Hines on loan

MF: Maldonado, R Hughes, Nyandoro, Ghaly, Dzsudzsak, Kallon, Piatti, Fabri

ST: Sharpe, Stancu, Eastwood, Parks plus Nemeth from Liverpool on loan

Also have W Ponce, Cagua and Oswaldo Rodriguez on loan at various clubs hopfully to get work permits soon....

I'm thinking now who to get for the Premiership... I think midfield and attack are pretty good but obviously need some players for defense and goal! I know my keepers are poor it was just a late bid of 3.4M for Kenny that tempted me to sell him and I haven't replaced him really. I like signing midfielders and forwards as you can probs tell and tend to neglect the other areas of the team!

• 1 month later...

I was Sheffield United to begin with and now in my 4th Season I am currently a Premier League champion and am currently in the Second Stages of the Champions League. This would not have happen though without making clever signings to begin the game.

Mohammed Kallon to begin must be your first signing on a Free Transfer. He is phenomenal! A key performer in the Championship and in the Premiership for the future! Sign him up!

I'd recommend from personal experience to get Gabriel Torje. Nurture him well and you can sell him for alot if you get promoted. He was the reason for the purchase of World Class goalkeeper Hugo Lloris to the team. Sold Torje for around £11 million to Wigan.

Laszlo Sepsi is another gem for the Championship who you can buy for a half a mill and then flog off for around £7 million in the Prem and use the money for good use.

Nengomashe and Da Mota are good enough defensive midfielders for the Championship too may I add!

Building for the future I'd get the Football Manager 2008 legends: Billy Sharp and Bogdan Stancu both are absolutely class and priceless for your Sheffield United team. If you're too late, sign Fraizer Campbell on loan and Marius Niculae. I'd class them as the B-Team compared to Sharp and Stancu.

Mika Aaritalo was also another gem for my promotion from the Championship with the blades. Phenomenal rating at the end of the Season, coughed up a magnificent £6 million transfer fee from PSV.

Rene Mihelic too was a good signing for around 300k. From personal experience he is a great player in the Championship and Premiership.

Edgar Alvarez for a different reason is a not bad at all. I was offered him at 500k from Roma. Flogged him off for £7 million half a season later! I think it was mainly due to his rep.

However, in my opinion the key bit of business for a Championship season is the purchase of Jimenez mid Season. £1.8 million around abouts is a good bit of business for a player who is undoubtedly the best player on Football Manager 2008. From personal experience he was instrumental in my 3rd season with Sheffield United where he single handedly won me the Premiership with 20 goals in 40 games in Attacking Midfield! A true legend. He unsurprisingly won the Premier League Footballer of the Season award.

Took over Sheffield United. Promoted from the Championship with a Second place finish. 2nd Season was more of a survival job where I finished 15th and managed to win the League Cup! Qualified for Europe through the UEFA Cup and therefore was able to attract players with European calibre! This therefore was the main reason for my successful 3rd Season as manager of the Blades with a storming Premiership win! Next aim, Champions League within 3 seasons. Get offered tons of jobs. I'm loyal to the Blades!

Now currently in my 4th Season and in the second stage of the Champions League. Leading the Premiership at Christmas!

Lloris

Malul Sakho Breno Eduardo

A.Diarra

Kallon Jimenez M.Fernandez

Sharp/Stancu Palacio (On Loan - hoping for a permanent move)

--

Subs: Olazabal, Placente, Hoyte, Onouha, Arshavin, Mihelic, Custodio, Aquino

Hoping for a permanent move for Palacio if not may aim for Toto Tamuz/Rafael Sobis/Huntelaar, looking to pay about £10 million. Also going to sell Placente, the old fart and replace him possibly with Taiwo or Bale. Depends really. I also fancy buying Hamsik for a couple of million. Highly recommended.

Destined to lose Jimenez, he won't sign a new contract and noone will buy him even though he was the English Player of the Year last season with 20 goals in 40 games!

Archived