How long to develop players?

Hi all,

Im currently Kidderminster Harriers in the Blue Square Premier. In my first season. I took over after 18 games and they were rock bottom. Im now 19th after about 23 games and im looking pretty steady now.

I don't have any wage budget left at all and im guessing next season the board aren't going to be giving me any more than I already have.

I'm looking at my squad and the Assistant Reports and probably 75% of my squad all have the potential to develop in to 5* players. Some of them are only on 1-2 stars current ability.

So how do i get my players to achieve their maximum potential as I want to keep as many players as possible for next season and try and push on from there. How long does it take to get a player say from their current 1* ability to their 5* maximum potential?

Any other additional info would be brilliant.

Their are too many variables to be able to say developing any one player will take x amount of time, your training facilities, coaching staff abilities, if they can avoid injury, their determination, how well they respond to tutoring and probably a whole bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting will have an impact on the time it takes to develop a player.

The single biggest influence over this you can have as their manager is playing time. Try to get them loans to clubs that will use them in the first team and use them in games your either not bothered about winning or are very strong favourites for. Also keep your eye out on the transfer market for cheap older players with good mental attributes to try and bring them in as tutors for your youngsters. Having a successful tutoring can help a player progress really well.

I agree with the above, there are a lot of variables. In terms of the numbers changing (though sometimes players will perform better or worse than their stats suggest they should), very basically players should develop a bit between 15-18, a lot between 18-22 and then a little bit after that if youre lucky until about 32.

But you have to also bear in mind that the 'stars' will change - the players are all rated highly in potential just now because the club is currently **** and they could maybe do a lot better. If the performances improve, then expectations at the club would re-adjust. E.g. A 5* potential in BSP = he could maybe play in Championship, keep him. But if you get to League 1, this is not such a big jump, and probably not much better than your existing players if theyve got you there. So that guy would probably only be rated 3* in that stuation cos he could make your team slightly better than you already are.

Crow touched on it,

Potential stars are all relative to the players on the team, and what level the team is playing it. A 5* player on a bsp team will very likely not even be good enough to consider for a champ. team

But when it comes to grooming players into ur future.

- Good training plans/facilities/coaches are key.

- Playing time is a must!!! Either loan or rotate him in.

- Tutoring is vital. Mental stats can take a huge boost if a player is properly tutored by an older more developed player of the same playstyle.

Developing players is the part I enjoy most about this game, and you'll soon realize that no matter what you do some players just wont develop correctly. While some will come out of nowhere.

Archived