Anyway around steam?

There might be - possibly - but it requires a bit of effort on your part and probably doesn't apply if you're in a suburban or rural area - you'd need to get a wireless modem and account with an ISP who provides coverage to your school's area. Since you're presumably under 18 you probably can't do this, unless you know an adult who has one and trusts you enough to let you borrow it. Even then it's possible that your school locks your desktop down against the installation of devices and local network configuration (ie no administrator privileges on user account). It's all probably a bit too much of a hassle tbh - you'd be better off leaving FM til weeknights and weekends.

Football Manager is required for me to work!

OK, assuming you're serious, if it's for a project or something, talk to your teacher and get them to make a formal request to your network administrators. Explain the need to let your PC through the firewall temporarily, they can do that for you.

Can you disconnect from the net(disable adapter, wifi), start steam, when it fails choose "start in offline mode", then play the game? After game has started reconnect to internet.

Doesn't work like that. Steam requires an active connection to actually initialise offline mode (to ensure that only a single account is logged on at one time). I do that occasionally, take my personal laptop in to work after starting Steam offline at home, then play it at work to fill in quiet time, maybe one day in four or five. Once I forgot to start my laptop offline at home, and it wouldn't let me start offline at work as there was no connection present.

Hmmm, couple of days my net was acting up and steam was stuck logging in my account(have auto-login on). I disconnected my wifi and i was able to do that..

Maybe it was able to figure out from what little connection it had, that there wasn't anyone actually connected to your account. I'm only going by the experience I've had - I couldn't start mine offline at work until I actually plugged it into the LAN just long enough to get offline mode working.

Maybe it was able to figure out from what little connection it had, that there wasn't anyone actually connected to your account. I'm only going by the experience I've had - I couldn't start mine offline at work until I actually plugged it into the LAN just long enough to get offline mode working.

I was able to do the same as thegr8anand, although i had the same issue as you about 2 years back. That was when i didnt use to keep my Steam Client up to date, so maybe that was part of the issue then. Just a thought though.

Archived