Downloading instead of buying Disc version... Noob here with questions

I am interested in buying FM2011 yet I cannot find the boxed version, and the only trustable places that sell that game is selling the game through Download and not the boxed version. I am planning on buying it through gamersgate(not steam) since it is cheap.

I have bought the boxed version of FM games around 5-6 times in the past decade. However, I never bought a PC digitally ever. I am curious how it works.

1- Does the editing software come along with the download?

2- Does the website email you a cd or something?

3- Since it is running completely off your PC instead of a disc, does the game Load faster?

4- What do you prefer, downloading or buying a disc version?

5- Are there any differences I am missing?

Thanks in advance...

1. You can download the editor in the tools section of steam

2. No, FM12 appears in your steam Library, and stays tied to your account. You receive no disc.

3. Mine runs just as smoothly as fm11 did.

4. First time downloading this year, no regrets, other then the fact my games on the shelf look incomplete without the fm12 case.

5. Not sure, so I will say no :D

Follow up question to this thread. Do you need internet access to play with a downloaded version? What I mean by this, is, say I downloaded today, and then wanted to play for 8 hours on a flight tomorrow (with no internet access on the flight), would I be able to launch the game?

Follow up question to this thread. Do you need internet access to play with a downloaded version? What I mean by this, is, say I downloaded today, and then wanted to play for 8 hours on a flight tomorrow (with no internet access on the flight), would I be able to launch the game?
Set steam to offline mode and there you go. Just make sure you follow the steps EXACTLY. We really don't need another "steam offline mode doesn't work because i didnt follow the instructions" thread...

lol... firstly, this isnt a 'bash steam' thread. Secondly, there are many sites that sell the game as a digital download

I think what you'll find is that when you purchase FM12 from a digital download site other than Steam, what you'll actually get is an activation key to download it from Steam. You won't be able to download the game from anywhere other than Steam.

thats cool leumd but im not interested in purchasing fm12.

As sorry, I misread your OP! =) I suspect most sites will act like Steam in that you'll have to create an account, and then the game will be tied to the account.

With FM11, the editor was part of the full install so you should get this as part of your purchase. Initial launch time will probably be the same, as previous versions only really used the disc for authentication but the actual game was run from your HD.

I like digital downloads far more since you never have to worry about damaging the disc or taking it with you if you move. The only downside is if you don't have access to a reliable internet connection =)

Hope that helps!

Why ask for a different view on purchasing it then fmcanbefun? if you already know you are not purchasing, please do not go round trolling trying to get the whole pro/anti steam discussion going, there is already a thread on that..

Lol, calm yourself there, you hyped and overexcited forum moderator.

Why reply in a thread before you actually read the original post then guitarman? if you already know you are going to go into a thread with a cynical attitude, please do not go round trying to reply to a thread in which you misread the whole point of the respective thread, there was already a poster who did that in this thread..

Archived