Takeovers

Hi all,

I thought it'd be interesting to see which clubs get taken over in people's FM12 saves, and to what level they are taken over. (Board reshuffles, consortiums, tycoons etc)

Have any of the takeovers resulted in immidiete or long term success for the club? How many replace the manager as a result?

We could end up with a good discussion going hopefully :)

Boca Juniors have just been taken over by a Irish tycoon, they've now got a 4.5* rep (worldwide) and already feature a strong squad with the likes of a fully developed Araujo, Viatri etc. He promised the side £68million to spend so I'll be watching who they buy in their next window.

I can't wait to see how they turn out, hopefully they turn huge.

In fact just quickly made a manager to see who they can attract and virtually all the Argentinian players were on there, the likes of Di Maria, Tevez etc, hopefully they look to buying one.

What makes it even better is that they only managed a 9th placed finish last season, very interesting.

Im managinng Plymouth Argyle, due to the financial situation built a team of loans/free transfers. Got taken over approx 13 weeks into new season by a tycoon who put in 11mill to be bank and upgraded youth and training factilites costing another 12 or 13mill. As yet the new chairman hasnt increased transfer/wage budget despite me asking. My team of frees and loans are currently 1st in the league after 32 games but am up and down in the top 3. I am now 10 points away from 4th place so hopefully promotion looks like it will happen unless I mess it up

In my save... I am Newcastle in my 3rd season and Mike ashley sold us to a group of businessmen .. Im pretty happy with it, they are spending money on the club, put the capacity of the stadium up to 60,000 and are pumping money into the youth system which is what i love as that is my transfer policy i get about 8 mil a year and spend most of it on 6-8 youth palyers.

Boca and Milan tycoon save here, it's from the 20th June though which is for the Italian start of season iirc (?), I have no idea when the Argentinian season starts so you'll have to holiday.

Milan have to win the title but you get a nice £172million transfer budget and £2.4million wage budget, at least that's what I got. The club is only spending £1.27million a week on wages so you have a fortune to spend.

I'm actually giving Milan a go myself, they've already got an amazing squad and with all the money and rep (news just came out they're even more reputable than Barcelona!) it's ridiculously fun.

I have seen an English (not that exotic...) tycoon take over at Everton in June 2013. Unfortunately for David Moyes, he was not around when there was finally some to spend...

Current manager is van Basten. They signed Huddlestone, Subotic and Giovanni dos Santos (I am in autumn 2014), so not that spectacular yet (I know they are fine players, but a tycoon could 'do better' I would expect), but are 3rd in the league.

Maybe there biggest plus is that they can keep Rodwell and Barkley now.

I have seen an English (not that exotic...) tycoon take over at Everton in June 2013. Unfortunately for David Moyes, he was not around when there was finally some to spend...

Current manager is van Basten. They signed Huddlestone, Subotic and Giovanni dos Santos (I am in autumn 2014), so not that spectacular yet (I know they are fine players, but a tycoon could 'do better' I would expect), but are 3rd in the league.

Maybe there biggest plus is that they can keep Rodwell and Barkley now.

nice should be good try and go them

ive just got taken over as blackburn first season just after christmas! ..

sadly just a change of directors... genuinely a 'nothing to see here.. move along' moment tbh :(

and everton have had about 3 failed takeovers so far.... and newcastle have had 1 or 2 aswell..

I (Basingstoke Town) got taken over two weeks into my save by ex-FA chairman David Sheepshanks. No plans to invest, won't extend the scouting range and generally isn't interested in the club. Others who have started with Basingstoke seem to be getting taken over almost as soon as they begin, either by the aforementioned Sheepshanks or Steve Gibson.

I think this may be wrongly researched as Rafi Razzak, the original (and real life) chairman has no plans to sell the club in real life - in fact he has plans to build them a new ground. So I'm not sure if this is a research error?

Boca Juniors have just been taken over by a Irish tycoon, they've now got a 4.5* rep (worldwide) and already feature a strong squad with the likes of a fully developed Araujo, Viatri etc. He promised the side £68million to spend so I'll be watching who they buy in their next window.

I can't wait to see how they turn out, hopefully they turn huge.

In fact just quickly made a manager to see who they can attract and virtually all the Argentinian players were on there, the likes of Di Maria, Tevez etc, hopefully they look to buying one.

What makes it even better is that they only managed a 9th placed finish last season, very interesting.

Haha the thought of an Irish tycoon is hilarious, even more random because he took over Boca.

Haha the thought of an Irish tycoon is hilarious, even more random because he took over Boca.

I know - of all the nationalities, an Irish bloke taking over Boca :D

Weird thing is though they've done literally nothing really apart from splashing £10.5million on Marcos Rojo, all that rep and money and they do nothing ffs, infuriating :mad:

It's 2016:

Hilario (Chelsea 3rd/4th choice keeper) is now Fulham Chairman.

Phil Gartside leaves Bolton... ...then takes over Gillingham!

Everton had a failed tycoon takeover (!), but Kenwright sold out to a local businessman.

Graham Alexander has taken over Preston NE.

Mike Ashley sold Newcastle, only to take over at Middlesborough!

David Sheepshanks took over Plymouth (This one is quite common, I think. Incidentally, wasn't Sheepshanks former Chairman of either Ipswich or Sheff Wed?)

Those are some of the more mentionable takeovers. There have been others, but only involving fictional people. No successful tycoon takeovers so far.

And that's before I mention the managerial merry-go-rounds; Mourinho been and left Chelsea, (McClaren is the incumbent!), Hughton back in charge of Newcastle, Moyes signed a 4 year deal at Tottenham only to be sacked 3 months later and Steve Kean's had more clubs than Tiger Woods.

It's 2016:

As a Gills fan, yes, please!

Also, I'm sure Mike Ashley would've been photographed in a Middlesbrough shirt before leaving Newcastle, just because. What a prat.

• 4 weeks later...

Two main tycoon ones for me:

Preston: Slovakian billionnaire, expected to be promoted. Finished bottom of the Championship and only spent £5m. Weird one.

Roma: Malta billionnaire, money spent so far on: David Villa, C.Smalling, Jovetic, Xabi Alonso. Finished 3rd, they were 8 points clear at one point but a lengthy injury to Villa dented their chances.

It's 2016:

Hilario (Chelsea 3rd/4th choice keeper) is now Fulham Chairman.

Everton had a failed tycoon takeover (!), but Kenwright sold out to a local businessman.

Graham Alexander has taken over Preston NE.

Mike Ashley sold Newcastle, only to take over at Middlesborough!

David Sheepshanks took over Plymouth (This one is quite common, I think. Incidentally, wasn't Sheepshanks former Chairman of either Ipswich or Sheff Wed?)

Those are some of the more mentionable takeovers. There have been others, but only involving fictional people. No successful tycoon takeovers so far.

And that's before I mention the managerial merry-go-rounds; Mourinho been and left Chelsea, (McClaren is the incumbent!), Hughton back in charge of Newcastle, Moyes signed a 4 year deal at Tottenham only to be sacked 3 months later and Steve Kean's had more clubs than Tiger Woods.

It's now 2024;

Tottenham have a South African tycoon (took over in 2019) and have dominated since

Hilario left Fulham in 2019

And that's it for takeovers with non-fictitious people and tycoons. Just one of each in the 8 seasons since my last update. The only worthy things worth noting are that Forest and Preston are in the Conference; Preston's steep, steep, oh, so steep decline coinciding with Graham Alexander taking over the club. Shame.

It's now 2024; Tottenham have a South African tycoon (took over in 2019) and have dominated since Hilario left Fulham in 2019 And that's it for takeovers with non-fictitious people and tycoons. Just one of each in the 8 seasons since my last update. The only worthy things worth noting are that Forest and Preston are in the Conference; Preston's steep, steep, oh, so steep decline coinciding with Graham Alexander taking over the club. Shame.
Ridsdale must of become chairman :D

In my game I have quite a few leagues and I like to have the Events box ticked so I can see who gets taken over etc.

Well so far into my 4th season and the only 2 of note worth mentioning are tycoon takeovers. The first was a Maltese takeover of Stoke City but interestingly since they are in the money, Tony Pulis is still in the job and not 1 penny has been spent in 2 months.

The other has just happened at Xerex in the Spanish Liga Adelante where they have been taken over by a Scottish tycoon.

It seems that retired footballers often turn to businessmen.

Gunnleifur Gunnleifsson (Current goalkeeper of FH and Iceland) took over as chairman at Bari, and the board was all-Icelandic as well.

They offered me the job while I was managing Selfoss in Iceland.

Reminds me of the Icelandic Stoke-adventure :)

Playing as Everton in my first season I was taken over by a serbian businessman around April. There was lots of speculation about him appointing a German manager. I was 9th in the league but managed to win my final 3 games including a win over Liverpool.

I was given a new 3 year contact and a modest 16 million punt transfer budget. I now sit 5th in Jan(second season) and have brought in a few good players like Goran Pandev, A Johnson and Kyle Walker.

I feel FM12 has developed a nasty side, I've started a new game managing Wrexham and I got a message saying a local businessman would be taking over maybe! Chairman stepping aside etc etc . I carried on thinking nothing of it, now bearing in mind I'm a Leeds fan I was a little perturbed to find that Peter Ridsdale was the man in question!!! On the plus side I guess I can look forward to some decent transfer funds before my club goes under.......

I feel FM12 has developed a nasty side, I've started a new game managing Wrexham and I got a message saying a local businessman would be taking over maybe! Chairman stepping aside etc etc . I carried on thinking nothing of it, now bearing in mind I'm a Leeds fan I was a little perturbed to find that Peter Ridsdale was the man in question!!! On the plus side I guess I can look forward to some decent transfer funds before my club goes under.......

Well, I would have thought anybody would be better than those crooks who used to* run our club. But not Ridsdale... Well it wasn't until 2022 that I got Wrexham turning a profit, and this was in the Premiership. They never seem to be able to get a good turnover, despite on field success.

*Fans trust recently took the club over in real life.

Banfield (ARG) got taken over just after the January transfer window in season 1 by an Luxembourgian tycoon who immediately overtook me as the most reputable team in the Argentine Premier League. Luckily I'm in 2nd in the league (tied on points, behind on goal difference), so I may have a chance to win the league before they can spend all that money.

Archived