Is it wise to upgrade this

You can check all the details(cpu, motherboard, ram etc.) with CPU-Z.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

That 955 is a great upgrade if you do have a compatible motherboard, otherwise for a new PC just get 2nd gen Intel core series. Amd is no match for them.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-overclocking,3052-3.html

A former flagship of AMD's Phenom II X4 family, the 955 offers the best value in the company's line-up. It is a true quad-core processor with a large 6 MB L3 cache and an unlocked clock multiplier. Based on our experience, a great majority of Phenom II X4 955 processors can run just as fast as a Phenom II X4 975 through a simple BIOS multiplier change from 16x to 18x. That's an easy way to put this $120 processor on par with a stock ~$210 Core i5-760 when it comes to gaming.

The real competition for the Phenom II X4 955 BE is Intel's Sandy Bridge-based Core i3-2100. Intel's budget-oriented processor can out-game the Phenom II X4. But AMD's CPU is a good entertainment-oriented option better suited to multitasking, thanks to its quad-core architecture. Since this list is focused on game performance, the Phenom II X4 955's price is too close to the superior Core i3-2100 to take a full recommendation. It does deserve an honorable mention for those looking to upgrade an aging Socket AM2+ or AM3 system, though.

Read our review of the Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, right here.

This is what i have got any ideas?

rocessor 1 ID = 0

Number of cores 2 (max 2)

Number of threads 2 (max 2)

Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+

Codename Brisbane

Specification AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+

Package Socket AM2 (940)

CPUID F.B.1

Extended CPUID F.6B

Brand ID 4

Core Stepping BH-G1

Technology 65 nm

Core Speed 2109.0 MHz

Multiplier x FSB 10.5 x 200.9 MHz

HT Link speed 1004.3 MHz

Stock frequency 2100 MHz

Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64, AMD-V

L1 Data cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L1 Instruction cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L2 cache 2 x 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size

FID/VID Control yes

Max FID 10.5x

Max VID 1.300 V

P-State FID 0x2 - VID 0x12 (5.00x - 1.100 V)

P-State FID 0xA - VID 0x0F (9.00x - 1.175 V)

P-State FID 0xC - VID 0x0D (10.00x - 1.225 V)

P-State FID 0xD - VID 0x0C (10.50x - 1.250 V)

K8 Thermal sensor yes

K8 Revision ID 6.0

Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 0

Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 1

Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 2

Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 3

This is what i have got any ideas?

rocessor 1 ID = 0

Number of cores 2 (max 2)

Number of threads 2 (max 2)

Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+

Codename Brisbane

Specification AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+

Package Socket AM2 (940)

CPUID F.B.1

Extended CPUID F.6B

Brand ID 4

Core Stepping BH-G1

Technology 65 nm

Core Speed 2109.0 MHz

Multiplier x FSB 10.5 x 200.9 MHz

HT Link speed 1004.3 MHz

Stock frequency 2100 MHz

Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64, AMD-V

L1 Data cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L1 Instruction cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size

L2 cache 2 x 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size

FID/VID Control yes

Max FID 10.5x

Max VID 1.300 V

P-State FID 0x2 - VID 0x12 (5.00x - 1.100 V)

P-State FID 0xA - VID 0x0F (9.00x - 1.175 V)

P-State FID 0xC - VID 0x0D (10.00x - 1.225 V)

P-State FID 0xD - VID 0x0C (10.50x - 1.250 V)

K8 Thermal sensor yes

K8 Revision ID 6.0

Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 0

Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 1

Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 2

Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 3

This is your current CPU info. In cpu-z select 'Mainboard' on top which will tell about your motherboard.

Which one of these do you want? Take it from an Overclocker, upgrading is a precise science. Picking a mobo before the CPU is not done. CPU then Mobo and Then Ram. Next PSU. Case is factored as a flowing item.

If you look at the first post thats the spec, i would like. I also have chosen Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H SKT-AM3 Motherboard

It really depends on what you use your PC for.

All these posters saying to ditch AMD and go for Intel are being a bit snobbish.

I always used Intel and Nvidia until recently(long story)but switched to AMD for my new system and could not be happier.

I am using the 965 with the 6870 card and I am running all the games I play in the highest setting and with no problems,this includes the likes of Rage which is a demanding game.

While the Intel is maybe better,for the cash to performance ratio then AMD wins hands down.

While the Intel is maybe better,for the cash to performance ratio then AMD wins hands down.

2400 totally dominates 965 in almost every benchmark for some extra 40 pounds. It would also last much longer.

Not to mention the better onboard graphics on 2400.

Yes if you have to buy a new board, just switch to Intel. AMD while a bit cheaper can not match Intel. Yes that 955/965 can play all the games when combined with a good graphic card but investing in a dead end chipset is not the best way now. Bulldozer reviews have been out for some time and AMD messed it all up, it still can't beat Intel.

2400 totally dominates 965 in almost every benchmark for some extra 40 pounds. It would also last much longer.

Not to mention the better onboard graphics on 2400.

This is untrue if you are using the PC purely for gaming,they are plenty of side by side reviews on the internet that you can read,also the fact the AMD can be overclocked a lot better than the Intel,it is very possible to overclock the 965 from the default 3.4GHz to 4.0GHz.

Though if you are using your pc for the likes of video editing then it would maybe be better to get the Intel.

Like I said in the original post..It all depends on what you use your PC for.

This is untrue if you are using the PC purely for gaming,they are plenty of side by side reviews on the internet that you can read,also the fact the AMD can be overclocked a lot better than the Intel,it is very possible to overclock the 965 from the default 3.4GHz to 4.0GHz.

Though if you are using your pc for the likes of video editing then it would maybe be better to get the Intel.

Like I said in the original post..It all depends on what you use your PC for.

Gaming is more dependent on the graphic card. Few FPS wouldn't matter.

And he is not even getting a graphic card. How does the gaming performance matter to him.

Raw CPU power is great for FM. And the Intels can be OCed to 4.5 - 5GHz on air.

AMD are really just for hard nosed fanboys like myself, but I concur with daylight. Intel may have the better CPU CC for CC, but AMD's quality has not faulterd (apart from the firts Phenom) and they fabricated the first true Quad Core. Go Intel, but do not overlook anything. Sit down with a pen and notepad and list what you want and what you can do without. Despite the fact that Intel CPU's are factory ready in terms of overclocking, it still very dangerous for the clueless. Seriously oche balboa, I don't mean to be rude, but ask on a tech site for advice. For pre built Rigs, I would suggest Scan. They have a great reputation and a system builder that you can try. Just remember one thing. At the moment, a dedicated GPU is king. However, if you want a Rig for just FM, a mid range GPU and card would suffice. There is more number crunching in the game rather than video. As such a monster of a CPU coupled with a decent chipset will serve you better. After all, a Gfx Card can be upgraded more easily than a CPU. They are an independent component where as the CPU is a core component. Buy a pre overclocked system if that is what you desire or go for a system with Turbo Ram. I could explain, but it basically means that a core is upped when under load, like playing FM for example. I think that would be your best bet imho.

Archived